Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinons on women in MMA

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 charlie-dee

Thats all well n good but, whos gonna be making their husbands tea while there out training? :D

:D:D

Good luck with the MMA angeldance. Go for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭lynnemc

Tell ya what ginoginelli, we will leave full instructions on how to boil the kettle before we go to the gym :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭angeldance

Thats all well n good but, whos gonna be making their husbands tea while there out training? :D

My H2B makes the dinner and does the cleaning and has the bath ready for me when I get back from training, so i must have trained him well. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

angeldance wrote: »
    My H2B makes the dinner and does the cleaning and has the bath ready for me when I get back from training, so i must have trained him well. :p

I reckon fear plays a part in it.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dragan wrote: »
    And maybe fetish too:eek:
    .....no?ok just fear then :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I'm going to be a dick and say maybe he's feeling guilty cause he's riding her sister. This is a thread about women in MMA I don't care who cooks people's dinners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Aisling!

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    The only issue I have with female MMA is that the few times I’ve seen them fight on relatively high level MMA shows is that the standard wasn’t on a par with the rest of the show. Male fights of the same standard probably wouldn’t have been on the show.

Just out of curiousity I'm wondering which shows you thought this about? I can think of one good example of this straight off, Kim Couture Vs. Lina Kvokov on one of the strike force shows. It was a total mismatch. Kim is still learning as a fighter but was on a different level to Lina. This should not have taken place on the maincard.

http://blog.ronin5.com/strikeforce-destruction-kim-couture-vs-lina-kvokov-video-clip/

Other than that I think most major shows which have female fights (there really aren't that many except maybe elite XC who are now gone) are very high class and entertaining. It's a great opportunity for female fighters to be on a major show, it's so rare the women just leave it all in the ring/cage and quite often the only Femma fight on the card is fight of the night.

Gina has definitely raised the profile of Femma, there's so much more attention on the sport than there has been in the past. I do fully agree that main reason she is, where she's at is due to her good looks and marketability. Gina has got some legitimate skills as a fighter she has some excellent stand up and her groud game appears to be improving, but she is not the best fighter out there. There are more complete fighters out there with better records who deserve these opportunities and have been passed up simply because they are not as pretty as Gina.

I don't agree with this, the best fighters should get the opportunities to showcase their skills on the biggest shows same as the guys. I don't agree with how she has had her opponents hand picked for her or had a special weight class created for her and she still fails to make weight! To be such a recognised female fighter I think has alot of responsibility with it. She is supposed to be a professional therefore she should act professionally. This to me means making weight for fights and preparing for fights in a professional way. Not making weight shows a lack of respect for your opponent and a disregard for the sport as a profession. Gina not making weight makes Femma look like some sort of side show not to be taken seriously.
    I could pretty much rant about Gina for days so I'll spare everyone that and get back to the original topic.

Yes to angeldance women can do MMA and some do it quite well ;)
    The best advice I could give to you would be to take no notice of the ignorant people who will try to stop you and tell you otherwise. Do what makes you happy. Surround yourself with positive people who will support you and encourage you. I have a great group of guys in SBG to train with who are all behind me I'd be lost without them. I have an amazing coach who puts so much time and energy into me I wouldn't be where I am without him. If you don't think you're getting the positive help you need I'd advise you to change gyms. Where do you train btw? :)

This might be useful to any of the lady fighters:
    www.fightergirls.com
    It's the biggest female MMA site, with lots of cool stuff :)

I'm not too concerned if I'm more likely to get concussion than a guy or not. I'm aware of the risks involved, it doesn't make me enjoy the sport any less or hinder my love of competing and certainly shouldn't prevent females from becoming involved.

Finally any of you girls angeldance, curliepinky etc. If you would like to get together and train sometime I would only be too happy to. It's great to hear of other girls training. Maybe soon there'll be a competitive womens division in the MMA league, that would be awesome! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Here here Ais the Bash :D

*puts soap box away* :)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Good post Ais, coming from someone like yourself it should put an end to the debate. Any idea when you're fighting again yourself by the way?

On the Gina missing weight issue, I reckon that as more female fighters get involved there will naturally be more scope to develop a wider range of weight categories. Of course, to get more women involved might require a higher profile for the sport, it's a bit of a Catch-22 situation.

Also, the alcoholic midget who tried to chat you up at both Joe Rogan and at The Vaults was my whiskey-fiend mate. Apologies. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Good post Ais, coming from someone like yourself it should put an end to the debate.

I could say something but I wont.

Its not fear its because he likes to see my sweet angelic face happy :p

What happened with the Gina weighin? What weight catagory is she?

Hi Aisling, I train in Kickboxing in Derry and do mma in strabane, only started a few weeks ago but love it. Was supposed to go lastnight but the stupid snow made the roads impossible. Its a great club, they are really nice and helpful and give me and my friend the same amount of stick as the fella's haha. xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Ryanzo

Obviously is a great sport for women, but only women vs. women and so forth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Its not fear its because he likes to see my sweet angelic face happy :p
    (should be pic of Kim Coutures smashed mouth here, but the url didnt work)
    Try this:
    http://www.combatlifestyle.com/pics/view_image.php?id=38626
    1025.jpg
    1025.jpg
    Honey! I'm home! kissy,kissy:rolleyes:

What happened with the Gina weighin? What weight catagory is she?
    Gina supposedly fights at 140lbs but it's generally just whatever she arrives at on the day, I think she's made weight for just 2 of her fights.

Best of luck with the training angeldance I'm happy you have a good club, you like training in! :D

Kim's face is pretty horrifying in that pic but no worse than some of the guys fights I've seen.

Aisling! wrote: »
    Kim's face is pretty horrifying in that pic but no worse than some of the guys fights I've seen.

But due to society’s double standard Dana White isn’t going to have that on a UFC card until at least the New York Athletic Commission lifts it ban on MMA in the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Just out of curiousity I'm wondering which shows you thought this about?
    Hey Aisling,
    I’m not sure, one of the ones that was on the Xtreme sports channel (or some channel like that), so I think EliteXC and/or Strikeforce but I could be wrong. I’m only talking about a few fights, because that’s all I’ve seen but the standard of the fights were OK at best, and not to the same standard of the rest of the show, or at least of the part of the show I say. I’m pretty sure Gina whatsherface was in at least of those fights.

Like it or not, it's not always about how good a person is. Gina was obviously a big help because of her looks and whatever else but it's the same in the mens division. I mean why did Brock Lesnar get the fight with Couture, to paraphrase Couture himself: "it's not like anyone is pretending he's the number 1 contender"

OMG lovely pic, and I was worried about cauliflower ears :o although I've seen injuries like that in kickboxing too. Fingers crossed I'll keep my teeth, or else I won't have a fella to make my dinner, he'll be running for the hills ;) haha.

Thats mad about not making weighins. Does she still be allowed to fight? xx

Thats mad about not making weighins. Does she still be allowed to fight? xx

Yes,the promoters of Elite XC usually left it upto her opponent to decide if they still wanted to fight her or not. It's a huge opportunity for any female fighter to fight on such a big show and gain that much recognition, not to mention the big pay day.

Any of her opponents who she has failed to make weight for were put in a impossible position, risk not taking the fight lose out on the biggest fight and payday of their careers with the possibility they would be blacklisted on other shows or just take the fight.

There was always more to be lost through not taking the fight than a moral victory. Gina in the case of the Kaitlin young fight was fined a percentage of her purse (12 and a half I think) which was given to Kaitlin, this amount was more than Kaitlin earned in sponsorship for the fight so it would have been difficult to turn down.

There is now talk of Dana White creating a Gina division in the WEC, hopefully she'll act more professionally if this does happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

I think the main problem with her making weight over the last 18 months was that she was working on the Gladiators show and didn't have enough time to have a proper training camp. I think she only had 3 weeks before her last fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

So don't take the fight? Would any male competitor be allowed to get away with that?

Thats pure mad, if its a regular occurance does the promotors/judges just not stop her from fighting and give the money to the other fighter that made the weight. Don't get me wrong I've fought girls at lighter and heavier weights than me, but I always knew when I took the fight and alot of the time the promotors list it as a demonstation bout.

If in this sport women are working hard to get the same rights and recongision (sp) as men then surely the same rules should apply for both including making weights xxx

Thats pure mad, if its a regular occurance does the promotors/judges just not stop her from fighting and give the money to the other fighter that made the weight. Don't get me wrong I've fought girls at lighter and heavier weights than me, but I always knew when I took the fight and alot of the time the promotors list it as a demonstation bout.

If in this sport women are working hard to get the same rights and recongision (sp) as men then surely the same rules should apply for both including making weights xxx

Sorry for the curt reply but she's Gina Carano and thats why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Roper wrote: »
    So don't take the fight? Would any male competitor be allowed to get away with that?
    If he looked like Gina then yes, I'd like to think he would.

Tim_Murphy wrote: »
    If he looked like Gina then yes, I'd like to think he would.

Now that could be a whole other topic haha ;)

I just goggled her (didn't know who she was:o) and she is beautiful, looks like a model and has a great fight fight record so far. She seems to be doing amazing for herself. I say fair play to her for doing well at it and helping to pave the way for female fighters, but respect the opponent and sport by making weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

Roper wrote: »

I wasn't justifying it, just explaining it. As for the second question...Thiago Alves?

Now that could be a whole other topic haha ;)

I just goggled her (didn't know who she was:o) and she is beautiful, looks like a model and has a great fight fight record so far. She seems to be doing amazing for herself.

She is also super charismatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Sorry to drag up this old thread, but I thought it might be relevant!

I'm looking to match up one of my female fighters for a K1 style stand up fight at my show on the 25th of April. The fight will be 3x3 minute rounds, and because of the difficulty in finding women to fight I'm flexible on the weight category but around 58kgs.

The opponent will be makiing her debut. So if there's any female kickboxers interested in taking a fight at a top show with great production values, great fighter treatment etc. Give me a shout baz.oglesby[at]gmail.com or 085-8320174 Anyone from outside Dublin will be put up in a hotel if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Karatekrazy

Ha! Women don't do MMA!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

Hmm, how about 68? And even then a skinny yoke...
    I don't think I'll ever have a chance to try a fight unless I find another 5ft8ter... :p

Advertisement