Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

XSLT and XML - The future?

Options
  • 13-01-2009 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭

I have been working with xsl for a few months now and have a love hate relationship with it!

I am looking to gauge peoples opinions on it and xml in terms of their future longevity?

What are your opinions or do ye know of the buzz on them in the industry?

I see them as being great for platform/language independence etc.

I am also working with java and JSP's, so I am wondering about future job prospects, worldwide, of being skilled in xml, xslt and java.

Thanks for any opinions shared.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I'd agree that certainly a mindset geared towards inter-operability by using markup like XML is the right approach. It's easy to hack and write non-portable code, and is often the only recourse for some application developers unfortunately, but constantly looking for opportunities to allow inter-operability can only be positive.

I've had some experience working with the SIOC project team, they've got some great ideas and admirable goals. Might be of specific interest to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Cool! It's an NUIG project! Right next door! I'll check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

The future of XSL

If XSL were a software program, the current version number would be something like 0.1. We're in the pre-alpha stage, of the program.
    It might still be too early to reliably discuss XSL. When trying to look forward, XSL and CSS are likely to co-exist (just as HTML and XML are likely to co-exist), since they meet different needs. XSL is intended for complex formatting, where the content of the document might be displayed in multiple places; for example the text of a heading might also appear in a dynamically generated table of contents. CSS is intended for dynamic formatting of online documents for multiple media; its strictly declarative nature limits its capabilities but also makes it easy to generate and modify in the content-generation workflow.

Published on: Monday 15th June 1998 By: Janus Boye

http://www.irt.org/articles/js096/index.htm

Just having a quick search on the topic. I would be interested in opinions of other boardsies that work with xsl.

Cannot find much current articles on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I've used it a bit over the last 7-8 years. Some of the older projects were before decent CMS systems existed when we were developing large content driven web sites. Content was stored in a DB as XML and XSLT was used to transform it onto the website.

More recent projects would have been transforming and parsing XML returned by various web services. It's a powerful tool, don't see it going away any time soon.

Advertisement