Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who wants to help me replace a laptops lcd?

Options
  • 13-01-2009 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭

in a flu based daze i cracked the screen on my laptop. i ordered a new lcd online because thanks to reading stuff online it made the job of swapping the two look über easy. but it's not.
    the lcd hasn't arrived yet but i tried to take out the old one and i'm having problems removing it. in the right hands this job could be done quickly but i don't have the skillz to sort her out. i'll be willing to throw a few quid to whoever can help me. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What make and model laptop is it?
    Kippy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

I dismantled my Sisters Dell laptop, stripped it bear, and re soldered a faulty power connection, put it all back together and it was working grand until the dumbass borked it again.

Long story short, I could have only done it without breaking it because I got the Dell Inspiron hardware reference guide from their website.

Try find something similar for your brand / make. It's very easy once you see on paper exactly how it is put together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

it's a compaq presario r4155 ea. i'll search online for a hardware reference guide. at the moment i'm kind of scared to be rough with it as it's a few years old and my original plans were to run it into the ground until windows 7 came out on retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭leex

What have you ordered? Just the lcd panel or the frame/back cover also of the laptop? Any links on net to what you purchased?

because the laptop was 3 years old i couldn't get the whole cover, screen, etc. i had to get a compatible lcd off ebay. i'll post a link later as at the moment i'm using my phone for all my internet needs. in fact i had ordered the whole screen and frame from a site i'd previously used for stuff only to find out after 2 weeks that what i ordered was out of stock and was unavailable for the unforeseen future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

I done mine a month back,It was a dell 6400.
    Not too tough a job,make sure you have kept the old screen,the inverter at the bottom is a easy part to throw away..Have you dismantled it yet,if not thats good,will be easier to fit the new screen using the old one as a reference.
    any probs give me a pm

i haven't fully taken it apart yet. i took a few screws out but it's still in situ. i'll take another stab at it when the new fella arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

JIZZLORD wrote: »
    i haven't fully taken it apart yet. i took a few screws out but it's still in situ. i'll take another stab at it when the new fella arrives

Ok,just read my prev post and what i mean about the inverter is it looks like a piece to throw away but dont!!!!! :D

i won't chuck anything away. i think an inverter and a back light are included anyway. we'll all see next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭johntreacy

Don't know if you found that manual but here's the HP site for them
    http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-001&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=212728&h_client=S-A-R163-1&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&cc=us

If you need a hand let me know I've taken a few apart at this stage and with the manual it's a quick enough fix.

got the screen. got most of the stuff taken apart but i can't/wont take the data cable out. hopefully i'll get everything working all right. thanks for all the help :D

She's up and running. thanks to everyone!

Advertisement