Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Driving - Witness Appeal

Options
  • 13-01-2009 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all,
    If anyone here was travelling on the road between Rush and Lusk this morning (13/1) between 8.15 and 8.30, you may have witnessed the following.
    Outside Killane's Furniture (beside Rush and Lusk train station) at roughly 8.20am, there was a string of traffic driving slowly behind a tractor going in the Lusk direction, when a burgundy Opel Astra (older model) started overtaking a string of traffic at speed. I was on my bicycle going in the Rush direction and just avoided being hit by this car. Another car behind me had to break to avoid a head-on collision. The driver was a dark haired male, looked like he was in his thirties.
    If anyone witnessed this incident could they please contact Balbriggan Garda station at 018020510. Even better if you managed to get the registration number. Even if you did not get the registration, please do give them a call to log the incident, the more the better.
    I have attached a picture of a similar car (only difference is this has a Vauxhall emblem on the grille, rather than an Opel emblem). Perhaps you know a man who drives such a car who lives in the Rush area?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

I've only ever been on it a few times but I know from memort that road is a death trap - a wider stretch with some traffic calming is sorely needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I live in Rush I will keep an eye out for allright. Funny thing is the description of the car rings a bell don't know why, could be in my estate but will defo keep an eye out.

That road is bloody lethal I'v been stuck behind tractors on it and as frustrating as it is you just have to grin and bear it. i'v had cars do this to me as well and it is scary

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Brandaan

Thanks for your replies. Yes, the road can be dangerous but this was the worst I've seen in six years of cycling that stretch...
    I don't hold out much hope but at least I feel I did something by posting this.
    Appreciate you keeping an eye out! There can't be many of these motors around Rush/Lusk...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

You may get some joy from posting on the Swords cycling club site (open forum) there are quite afew living around Rush/lusk and would be fairly vigilant on that section (we don't ride it any more too dangerous and had afew cars and vans drive at us so !!!!!!!!!

Thanks, that's a great suggestion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    I've only ever been on it a few times but I know from memort that road is a death trap - a wider stretch with some traffic calming is sorely needed.

i really dont think the road itself is a death trap. its pretty straight forward driving.

i think what is a main problem is that the bus stops need to be more recessed so that when it does stop it is in off the road which would make over takig it it more safe.

the bus in the morning i would believe is a major source of road rage and could have prompted the traffic tail back.

i have seen some crazy driving on that road an 9 times out of 10 its caused by overtaking the bus.

i will keep my eye out. i spotted a burgandy opel astra but ..... it was he older model again!

anyway i will keep my eye out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,857 ✭✭✭billyhead

I live in Rush too and have seen some crazy overtakig in my time aswell especially if held up by a tractor or slow moving driver. Some drivers think they can get away with overtaking 4 or 5 cars in a row. Crazy stuff altogether but I don't think you can do much about it unless they cause a crash

Martron wrote: »
    i really dont think the road itself is a death trap. its pretty straight forward driving.

i think what is a main problem is that the bus stops need to be more recessed so that when it does stop it is in off the road which would make over takig it it more safe.

the bus in the morning i would believe is a major source of road rage and could have prompted the traffic tail back.

i have seen some crazy driving on that road an 9 times out of 10 its caused by overtaking the bus.

i will keep my eye out. i spotted a burgandy opel astra but ..... it was he older model again!

anyway i will keep my eye out

Thanks, appreciate you keeping an eye out for the car! Yes, in this case it was a tractor causing the frustration...
    I have some further information on the car, another person saw the car just after my incident overtake aggressively on the Lusk Ring Road, overtake all traffic going towards the Raven roundabout and then turning left towards Blake's Cross, cutting accross the other traffic turning left.
    This person saw it had an 02 registration.
    So please keep an eye out for an 02 registration burgundy Opel Astra in the Rush/Lusk area!
    I appreciate there is not much we can do legally, but at least if word can get back to this person that his behaviour was observed and reported, it may make him think a bit more about his behaviour the next time...

well at least you could formally report them to the guards especially if you thought you were at risk of serious injury

well at least you could formally report them to the guards especially if you thought you were at risk of serious injury
    First thing I did! As did at least one other witness...

• Advertisement

i say between us you could find it no problem.

its a commuter route someone on there way to work is bound to see it

ok i have been keeping an eye out.

are you sure its an 02.

i saw a crazy person driving down the wrong side of the lusk bypass trying to skip traffic.

00 d burgandy opel astra.

its ok though they had their indicator on.

to be honest there is a few burgandy opels knockin around.

ok i have been keeping an eye out.

are you sure its an 02.

i saw a crazy person driving down the wrong side of the lusk bypass trying to skip traffic.

00 d burgandy opel astra.

its ok though they had their indicator on.

to be honest there is a few burgandy opels knockin around.

The 02 was from another witness, so can't be sure. Was this on the same day?

it was not the same day but from lookin around the last while there is a 00 and a 02 burgandy opel astra.

as i said it was a popular colour in this car and there is a few about these parts

Thanks for keeping an eye out!

as you can see from my other thread i am not fond of the crazy driving around these narrow roads.

sorry i could not have been more help.

what people dont seem to realise that if they continue to carry on like this the nice bit of road from rush to lusk will be reduced from 80 to 60 and those same people will be complainng of the speed limit.

anyway..... sorry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Brandaan wrote: »
    So please keep an eye out for an 02 registration burgundy Opel Astra in the Rush/Lusk area!
    I appreciate there is not much we can do legally, but at least if word can get back to this person that his behaviour was observed and reported, it may make him think a bit more about his behaviour the next time...
    Playing devil's advocate...

As you have no proof whatsoever that any car reg given to you is the one that you saw driving dangerously that day - What exactly do you plan on doing if & when someone gives you the full reg of any burgundy 02 Astra that they've seen in the locality?

yeah well thats what i was trying to get at nicely. it really is impossible as it is a popular colour. the time frame is too long now to have accurate report too.

i agree that you should cut your loses
    but i believe you should report bad driving.

Advertisement