Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts/Ideas for the forum

• 13-01-2009 5:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All

I'd like to get peoples opinions/thoughts about the forum. What things would you change? What things would you like to add/bring in. anything you'd like to see more/less of?

The forum is for the users by the users, its the posters that make the forum what it is. So any thoughts are appreciated.

Any ideas or feedback within reason will be taken under consideration and we'll see what happens.

Will hope to run something like this once a year

Kev

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Can we please have a sub forum dedicated to dutch extreme hardcore gabber? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Yeah, and one for clowncore too!
    I just want to be the clowncore moderator:p

I'll have a think about it and post some useful suggestions soon anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Nooo please don't have sub forums for different genres, i would say maybe more interactive stuff, maybe a dedicated section for flyers old and new, and a dedicated section for downloads, lets face it most older dance is available for free online anyway so i think that would be a good idea as well, and maybe a sticky so members can post useful links relating to dance music!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

jonny68 wrote: »
    Nooo please don't have sub forums for different genres, i would say maybe more interactive stuff, maybe a decicated section for flyers old and new, and a dedicated section for downloads, lets face it most older dance is available for free online anyway so i think that would be a good idea as well.

I'm pretty sure the lads were having a joke about the subforums for genre's. Even if they werent its safe to say it wont be happening anyway :p

About subforums - I cant create them, only the admins can and they need to be requested in the 'forums' forum (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=461). Personally I dont think the Dance forum needs many more sub forums, the only one that springs to mind is a dance production or technical forum.

Regarding downloads, I'm all for sets, and any music which has been made available as free by the person who owns the rights to it. Any copyrighted material is a no-no. Thats a part of the overall boards rules, nowt I can do about that.

Flyers - good call, feel free to start up a thread and I'll add it to the hot links sticky at the stop of the page.

Keep the thoughts coming in guys.

I was joking :D

Less anti-tranciness for a start! I find it very difficult to have a good discussion on trance when the only comments about it decide to ridicule it because of its fanbase here or because its not some insufferable 9 minute piece of minimal techno **** (and for christ sake can you please censor the word tiesto :D.)

+1 to a dance production sub forum/thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

DarkJager wrote: »
    I was joking :D

Less anti-tranciness for a start! I find it very difficult to have a good discussion on trance when the only comments about it decide to ridicule it because of its fanbase here or because its not some insufferable 9 minute piece of minimal techno **** (and for christ sake can you please censor the word tiesto :D.)

+1 to a dance production sub forum/thread

:D:D

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Don't know what's required technically speaking, but what about our very own streaming radio?! There could be slots for various members to play, mix etc their choice of tunes every week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

KevIRL wrote: »
    Hi All

I'd like to get peoples opinions/thoughts about the forum. What things would you change? What things would you like to add/bring in. anything you'd like to see more/less of?

The forum is for the users by the users, its the posters that make the forum what it is. So any thoughts are appreciated.

Any ideas or feedback within reason will be taken under consideration and we'll see what happens.

Will hope to run something like this once a year

Kev

just a stab in the dark here but have you been keeping an eye on the goings on of a more well know dedicated dance forum that...em...well shot itself in the foot of late by not respecting its core members?

Táck wrote: »
    just a stab in the dark here but have you been keeping an eye on the goings on of a more well know dedicated dance forum that...em...well shot itself in the foot of late by not respecting its core members?

LOL, I was a member of DMI.com (moved to .net now), and it did trigger a thought to check and see what users would like from the dance forum on boards.

I've been trying to keep some sense of community on here, and this seems like a logical step.

so ur a mover? u keep very quiet whenever peeps are slagging the mods, from here, over therer. suppose, you cant choose your family wha

i dont think any changes on here are needed. it doenst have the numbers for any more subforums. as it is, two is too many imo.

• Advertisement

Táck wrote: »
    so ur a mover? u keep very quiet whenever peeps are slagging the mods, from here, over therer. suppose, you cant choose your family wha

i dont think any changes on here are needed. it doenst have the numbers for any more subforums. as it is, two is too many imo.

Well the clubbing forum is just to keep all the clubnight spammy posts in one place, and im not sure about a production forum but sure see what people think.

I piped up in one thread over there alright. I dont have much time for a lot of the mods on this site myself (Dance and poker mods aside obviously)

well in fairness, you remember the kids who use to watch the class when teacher left, mods in making. present company excluded.

yeah suppose you should keep the spam away. especially some of the dodgey promoters that we have. put a poll up for the producers forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

dont think theres much you can add to be honest.this forum is almost a subforum in a huge boards forum.
    no need for a flyers section coz we already have a clubbing forum where threads are posted with the flyers for the night
    as for old flyers just keep them in the oldschool thread or start a new thread.no need to sticky them
    dark jager you talk about people easing up about trance but you dont extend the same courtesy to other genres yourself.calling minimal insufferable.
    practice what you preach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

KevIRL wrote: »
    I piped up in one thread over there alright. I dont have much time for a lot of the mods on this site myself (Dance and poker mods aside obviously)

:(

...I really only lurk 'round here but the only thing that gets at me is the idea that anything new is obviously rubbish, and the only real discussion should be taken to the asylum. Now, I can appreciate the old stuff as much as the next man, but there's a lot to be said for the newer things.
    DarkJager wrote:
    and for christ sake can you please censor the word tiesto .)

+1

As for production, there is a Music Production forum, so creating a sub-forum just for dance will only splinter the site more then it needs to be right now IMO.

seannash wrote: »
    dark jager you talk about people easing up about trance but you dont extend the same courtesy to other genres yourself.calling minimal insufferable.
    practice what you preach.

That was an off the cuff example of what I mean and I'm happy to say I do practice what I preach. If there's a thread in here discussing something like a genre I'm not particularly interested in (e.g minimal), I don't make comments in the thread if I can't put forward some sort of thought or point. When it comes to discussing trance however, others seem comfortable enough to sidetrack the discussion with comments about what type of people listen to trance in this country, or how its all **** now compared to "the good old days".

The musical elitism & snobbery, especially within the umbrella genre of electronica is shocking to say the least. I'd expect that sort of sniping from underage metal fans, not dance lovers. Hopefully that clears up my point and apologies for dragging this off topic.

Another thought I had would be the addition of a single reviews thread. Maybe allow users to review tracks from a chosen genre with some youtube links if available. I know we all talk about why we like the tunes we do, but what is it exactly that makes us like them? Harmonies, pitch changes, vocal parts, synth arrangments etc, the finer details that make a track a banger or a clanger. Might be limited to people who have an understanding of the elements of a dance track but I think it would definitely be interesting..

:(

...I really only lurk 'round here but the only thing that gets at me is the idea that anything new is obviously rubbish, and the only real discussion should be taken to the asylum. Now, I can appreciate the old stuff as much as the next man, but there's a lot to be said for the newer things.

+1

As for production, there is a Music Production forum, so creating a sub-forum just for dance will only splinter the site more then it needs to be right now IMO.

I should have clarified my comment to say 'certain mods'. You know the kind projectmayhem. All to eager to ban and lock threads. Anyway I digress from the topic of the thread.

a tiesto censor would be fun, but I dont think the high ups will allow it. Fair point about the sub-forum.

As for people dissing other music styles/genre's. How about if you really despise a particular genre then dont bother posting in any thread about it?

Another option would be to have a 'my genre is better than yours' thread. A sort of no holds barred thread where people can vent steam about their musical pet hates. At least it would keep other threads free from the squabbling which always seems to break out (it even has to some extent in this thread)

DarkJager wrote: »

Another thought I had would be the addition of a single reviews thread. Maybe allow users to review tracks from a chosen genre with some youtube links if available. I know we all talk about why we like the tunes we do, but what is it exactly that makes us like them? Harmonies, pitch changes, vocal parts, synth arrangments etc, the finer details that make a track a banger or a clanger. Might be limited to people who have an understanding of the elements of a dance track but I think it would definitely be interesting..

I believe a thread like this was started before but never really got off the ground. I see no problem with getting it going again DarkJager.Build it and they will come etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

+1 music production(dance music).It would be nice to see what the bedroom producers are making with reason,ableton etc,whether its dubstep,trance or gabba:eek:
    my 2 cents anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

how about a download thread for sets?

how about a download thread for sets?

there's been one for a few years now Chucky

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=187195

• Advertisement
Advertisement