Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stormy Weekend Ahead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Stormy and wet weather, don't mind that to be honest.
    Wind might whip showers accros the country with maybe a dusting at Sally gap, but nowt lower down (in terms of snow).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Supercell wrote: »
    Stormy and wet weather, don't mind that to be honest.
    Wind might whip showers accros the country with maybe a dusting at Sally gap, but nowt lower down (in terms of snow).

I would have to disagree. What is showing is snow on hills with accumulations on Monday night quite possible even to lower ground.
    I know we need to keep a balanced view amongst all the ramping but you are being a tad unrealistic imo.
    Of course you could well be right, time will tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I would have to disagree. What is showing is snow on hills with accumulations on Monday night quite possible even to lower ground.
    I know we need to keep a balanced view amongst all the ramping but you are being a tad unrealistic imo.
    Of course you could well be right, time will tell

Hi Js,

Good post but is off topic for this thread. This thread is dealing with storm potential for the weekend only. A new model thread has just opened on the forum to deal with anything beyond this. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Saturday looks like the first significant bit of windy weather we've had since last March (11th to be precise :) ). Here's a series of 3-hour charts from met.ie that I kept from that day - will be interesting to compare to what we get on Saturday.

weather.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

hey accuweather has issued weather alarm the spanners for carlow gettin 6.6cm snow monday night and kilkenny 4.8cm.some is a mix.in the famous words of catherine tate " what a load of sh1t".they shouldn't be allowed do that so far out.was thought a serious lession the last month.anyway im enjoyin the wild weather

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

redsunset wrote: »
    hey accuweather has issued weather alarm the spanners for carlow gettin 6.6cm snow monday night and kilkenny 4.8cm.

All model based. Current models indiacte it's possible! Whether it happen is another thing!!! XC Weather at the moment is showing heavy snow for Dublin on Tuesday morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yahoo weather and bbc showing snow/rain and sleet for Dublin on Monday
    unlikely imo, even when the majority of the country gets snow showers its usually just rain or sleet in dublin.

metchecks automatic reports look a bit more realistic.. mostly showing dry sunny weather with isolated light showers during the cold spell for the east as this will be a northwesterly based cold spell. They are predicting many sleet and snow showers for western and north-western areas.. this looks like how the majority of northwesterly cold spells have acted upon Ireland in the past.
    My hopes for seeing any snow here in meath is very low unless the wind is coming from the east or north-east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Hey guys, could you just deal with the storm potential for the weekend in this thread, as anything else is way off topic. Cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

How bad is it looking for Saturday guys as i'm planning on going to Dublin from Waterford and if its going to be too bad i'll cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭TheGreenGiant

Hi, well judging by the latest charts I wouldn't say it would be a good day for driving. We could have wind gusts of up to 70mph, maybe even more, all depends on where the center of the low presents itself on Saturday. I would only travel if I had to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Dublin to Waterford could have a very nice day Saturday until darkness when the wind and rain will sweep down the country, thats going on the latest Met forecast on the 9 o clock news

Ah, I missed both this evenings forecasts. I was just going by the charts:p I guess it should be ok so:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

This storm will be a nowcast situation... you will be best advised to watch Friday Night's or even Saturday Morning's forecasts as alot can change between now and then. To re-itorate what I am saying...

There IS a storm on the way...

Whether this storm will deliver 20mph winds with 45mph gusts (still relatively OK to drive for an experienced driver) or 40mph winds with 75mph gusts (very tricky driving) remains to be finalised....

Hope this is of help...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

"Issued at 16 January 2009 - 10:09
    Severe Weather Warning
    Warning of severe weather event on Saturday.

Wind:

Southerly winds, later veering west, will reach mean spells of 35 to 45 knots (65 to 85 km/h) with gusts of 60 to 75 knots. (110 to 140 km/h).

The highest gusts will be along exposed coasts, and over high ground.

Rain:

Rainfall totals of 20 mm to 30 mm are possible over much of Connacht, West Munster and West Ulster, with totals of 15 mm to 20 mm elsewhere.
    Some flooding is likely.

High Seas:

Very high seas (8 to 10 metres over the open sea), may cause additional flooding in exposed coastal areas.

Warning valid 0900 to 2400 Saturday 17 / 1 / 2009."

140km/h is almost 87mph btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Would the west coast get hit by a storm surge..?? could be nasty at high tide...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

The tide is at neaps this week so it should be about 0.7 metre less than springs at H.W. Springs are normally a day or so after a full moon. This should help avoid some flooding but I would expect some surge. One things for sure and that is I'm not going out sailing this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The storm has begun to look more potent on recent runs.

Winds up the Irish sea progged to reach sustained 55mph.

Rtavn361.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Met Eireann's forecast for next Tuesday:

During Tuesday, wintry showers in the west and north are likely to spread to many other parts of the country, with a risk of significant snowfall. West to northwest winds will strengthen for a time also and it will bitterly cold.

Sunday Night using UKM data.

Tasty

uk_cloudrain_09011900.jpg

The irony of it all:rolleyes: We had an easterly airflow for the better part of a month and not an inch of snowfall, except maybe some on the mountains. And now when we get a west to north west wind, we are seeing some snowfall...whats up with that!?:cool: At this stage I will take any

• Advertisement

Met Office Press Release

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2009/pr20090116.html
    In a marked change to the quiet and frosty weather of the winter so far, Met Office forecasters are expecting a mix of windy, wintry weather this weekend and next week.

Atlantic weather systems will bring gales to many parts, with spells of heavy rain and a mix of hail, sleet and snow showers.

Saturday evening and night is expected to be particularly stormy as winds reach 70-80 m.p.h. in western areas of Britain, peaking at up to 100 m.p.h. in the worst-affected areas of north-west Scotland. Disruption to transport and power supplies is likely. Heavy rain will accompany the severe gales and parts of northern Britain may wake to a covering of snow on Sunday morning.

The colder weather is expected to continue next week with forecast models showing the risk of snow extending to many parts of Britain on Monday night and into Tuesday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Things are shaping up nicely for Sunday and the early days of next week. Still a bit of uncertainty over timing and whether we will just miss out on a snow event on Tuesday. Remains to be seen but a very interesting period coming up. Looks like we will get almost everything over the next few days!:)

Stormy conditions should end on Sunday night but may return Tuesday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Double post

Sustained winds of 52-56mph up along the east coast on Saturday Afternoon.

Gusts are likely to reach 75/80mph in Dublin

Quite concerning

ukwind.png

Actuallly WC i think the worst of the winds will be offshore rather than in Dublin as the Wicklow mountains usually seem to act as a wind buffer in SW conditions.
    That said as the depression moves through and winds swing westerly things will pick up.
    The south and west coast areas will have some very strongh winds no doubt though.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Southerly winds tend to rip into the east coast fairly bad. I think the winds will be more southerly rather than southwesterly, that's what the charts are indicating at the moment.

Meanwhile Sunday night/Monday looks very very interesting

Loads of precip associated with little lp running east.

850hpa temps around -4/-5c Dewpoints around 0/-1c and temps around 0-2c

Interesting!

Southerly winds tend to rip into the east coast fairly bad. I think the winds will be more southerly rather than southwesterly, that's what the charts are indicating at the moment.

Meanwhile Sunday night/Monday looks very very interesting

Loads of precip associated with little lp running east.

850hpa temps around -4/-5c Dewpoints around 0/-1c and temps around 0-2c

Interesting!

Yep, small changes like wind direction shift to the south will hugely increase wind and in my case rainfall totals (southerly and se winds seem to dump rain at this location) on the east coast.

Nacho Libre, Kerry1960 and Deep Easterly may blown over to the east coast though :D

Supercell wrote: »
    Yep, small changes like wind direction shift to the south will hugely increase wind and in my case rainfall totals (southerly and se winds seem to dump rain at this location) on the east coast.

Nacho Libre, Kerry1960 and Deep Easterly may blown over to the east coast though :D

Yep could be vicious along the west coast

GFS hinting at sustained winds of 60-64mph gusting upto 90mph :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Yep could be vicious along the west coast

GFS hinting at sustained winds of 60-64mph gusting upto 90mph :eek:

What kind of winds do you expect for around Waterford wc? Looks pretty bad to me.

• Advertisement

What kind of winds do you expect for around Waterford wc? Looks pretty bad to me.

50mph gusting 70/75mph

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement