Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stormy Weekend Ahead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Exceptionally windy here, some trees down near me. Tel lines down in Ballyb. Would estimate >80km/h at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Latest reports from met.ie

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

Gust to 82mph in Cork Airport, 75mph in Roches Point.

Getting stormy.

With regard to 50kt in Dub Air, that ain't too special tbh

I would expect to see a 60-70kt gust around 5/6pm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Also, blown over a full 200L wheelie bin.

I struggled to walk in it (trying to impress the kids you see).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Worst of it in the west between 15:00 and 19:00 according to the Knock taf - TEMPO 1715/1719 25032G53KT

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Supercell wrote: »
    Worst of it in the west between 15:00 and 19:00 according to the Knock taf - TEMPO 1715/1719 25032G53KT

it's fairly bad already supercell. the trees are taking a battering as i type this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Seriously, with the reports of 71 kts gusts at Cork and 82 kts at the Marathon platform, I think Dublin is in for something quite strong in the range of 65-70 kts or about 80 mph peak gusts, this storm is still deepening and that will counteract the tendency for winds to weaken slightly over the land in between Cork and Dublin. This should peak as you were saying 3-5 pm possibly. I will check radar and post again if I see anything worse than that (which is bad enough), would very strongly advise people to avoid travel until this blows through late this evening. Wind gusts are going to be strong enough to bring down some trees, many branches, and loose objects like roof tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I just opened my side gate and a gust came along and took it clean off the hinges... Anyone in the Roscommon County area if you see a green timber door can I have it back>?! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

My drive home from work at 4 should be fun so. I have to take a dual carrigeway which has very bad crosswinds in the normal strong wind we get, this should be even more interesting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Supercell wrote: »

Them forecast figures are already irrelevent!

Gust to 92mph on Marathon Platform
    82mph in Cork Airport.

Sustained 57mph in Roches Point gusting 77mph.

Yep, I was just looking at the current pressure map on XC Weather and there is some pressure gradient of the south coast, its utterly wild out there.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

pressure.gif:eek:

Not often you see a picture like that, must be some huge waves in the south.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Dozens of power outages in Munster and Connaght.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The Sun is out here:cool: Windy but nothing too rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Dozens of power outages in Munster and Connaght.

the lights are flickering here but thankfully power is staying on so far

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Snark

FM radio and RTE TV gone in Sligo - guessing there must be problem with Truskmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Lightning/thunder Oranmore

978 hpa

Seven Worlds will Collide

My tv picture keeps pixelating as the wind shakes the dish, hasn't done that in about a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

*crosses fingers, chanting "power cut" over and over to himself*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

My roof aerial is hanging by a thread, hoping it hangs in there until the gusts die down a bit. Seems that the worst of it will be over in the midlands by 4 or 5pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Sheets of rain blowing through my estate in Grantstown, east Waterford about 15 minutes ago. Lights flickered there for a while too.

Quieter just now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭squonk

Just getting going out here now inthe last half hour or so. It was pretty cal or just breezy when I woke up just before 1 and it's gradually gotten stronger ever since but still nothing spectacular, I've heard much worse last Jan but it's early days for us on the east coast now anyway. Hoping for something good!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

970mb here now, rain, wind and the lights flickering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Lights flickering here in Sandyford.
    The BIG winds and darkness has also just hit.

Alarms going off... stuff is getting blown from the local building site...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

VERY windy in North Dublin at the moment.

Dont know how to check the current gusts but am
    fairly close to Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭DenMan

Awful here in Sligo, abysmal would be a better word. Intense driving rain and immense wind and blustery conditions. And oh a yeah cloudy sky. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Shiny wrote: »
    VERY windy in North Dublin at the moment.

Dont know how to check the current gusts but am
    fairly close to Dublin airport.

Check here http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Yep, it's picking up here too. Im guessing gusting just over 50mph at times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

RTE are updating their weather warning news post with the most current info:
    Roads impassable due to storms

A number of roads are impassable in Waterford following high winds which have uprooted some trees.

Roads affected at present include the main Waterford to Passage East road and the main road in Newtown in Waterford city has also been disrupted.

In Galways, the AA are advising that a telegraph pole has fallen between Menloe and Monivea on the R339 at Killaclogher.

Another pole has fallen blocking traffic at Belvil, 5kms outside Athenry on the Tuam side.

There are also reports of a fallen branch on the road between Coosan Cross and Athenry (R347).

The Coosan Cross to Monivea Rd (R339) is also reportedly blocked by a fallen pole.

In Clare, there is a fallen tree blocking the Killaloe to Scarriff Rd at Ballyvalley. Motorists are advised to use a different route.

Another tree is down at Two Mile Gate partially blocking traffic.

Motorists have been urged to drive with extreme care today as a result of a severe weather warning issued by Met Éireann.

High winds and heavy rain were expected countrywide.

Met Éireann has issued the severe weather warning on foot of expectations that winds could reach up to 140 km-an-hour along exposed coasts and over higher ground.

Heavy rain is also forecast for all areas and may lead to some localised flooding.

The rain will be particularly heavy over Connacht, west Munster and west Ulster.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0117/weather.html

• Advertisement

darkman2 wrote: »
    Yep, it's picking up here too. Im guessing gusting just over 50mph at times.

Mothmans site in Ashford, Wicklow is currently reporting 57mph gusts.
    The wind and the rain here now is something else, lots of odd bangs and the wind whistling around the window panes is something else.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement