Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stormy Weekend Ahead

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Wind is increasing here still. Gusting 60 shortly id say. And the alarms have started going off:rolleyes:

EDIT: woah definately gusted 70 just there id say!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Sunshine & Blue skies in Oranmore atm
    Still windy

979 hpa

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Getting stormy here now with the wind gusts increasing in frequency and intensity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

On the generator here at work (Waterford city), I think the power is out all over the place down here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

40,000 people are without power at the moment according to the ESB.

Emergency services are also on their way to assist a Tanker ship off the Dingle bay as its reporting severe difficulties in navigation . . . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Limerick City is after going very calm again, even the sun has come back out and the wind isn't up to much. Although I assume that can't be all we're in store for?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

DarkJager wrote: »
    Limerick City is after going very calm again, even the sun has come back out and the wind isn't up to much. Although I assume that can't be all we're in store for?

Same here, the sun is shining here at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Dan Sanchez

One place I woulnt like to be now is on a boat, howling wind here at the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Break in the weather coming here too, severe gusts have abated. Looks like that's it for now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭homosapien

103 mph gust reported in last hour at belmullet...

http://www.met.ie/latest/reports.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Gust of 90 knots recorded at belmullet.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matt cork

same here, blue skies and gentle breeze.... was impressive whilst it lasted though, the bins half way down the street and a clear up operation just completed:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Surely it can't be over that fast? The weather in Limerick barely lasted an hour and wasn't anything more impressive than most storms that come and go here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Surely it can't be over that fast? The weather in Limerick barely lasted an hour and wasn't anything more impressive than most storms that come and go here.

The 1997 storm went from being a tempest to dead calm in the space of about 30 minutes if i remember correctly. and only lasted at most about two to three hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It's passed over you now. You can see it here, youre in the clear - http://www.sat24.com/Region.aspx?country=gb&sat=vis&type=loop

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

homosapien wrote: »
    103 mph gust reported in last hour at belmullet...

That's scary :eek:

especially as according to the satellite pics
    http://wind.met.fu-berlin.de/cgi-bin/meteosat.cgi?speed=3&count=16&intervall=30&refresh=5&playmode=Endlos
    I'd say it's about to hit Sligo (i.e. me) in the next hour or so

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

If you're in the southwest and things have calmed down, expect another gusty period when the second front comes through in an hour or two, currently it is along the coast moving east. This will be the leading edge of the colder air coming in for tomorrow, and will swing the winds around to about WSW 40-60 mph for a while. Temps will fall to about 2-4 C and you could get some hail or sleet.

Rest of Ireland, the gale to storm force winds will continue for several more hours and there will be less of a break between the strong winds and the second front, in fact there may not be any break, just a rapid windshift as the winds continue to howl, then they should slowly ease off around midnight or so.

The title of this thread is looking a bit understated now. :cool:

from that satelite loop there looks like a nice heap of hefty showers making there way here already..could be some strong downdraft gusts contained in those too with hail too..strongest sustained winds would appear to have gone into the Irish Sea and off the West /NW coasts around the low pressure centre

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Massive tree blown down outside Baumanns, Stillorgan. Road closed completely. Directly outside Slainte Off License.

As the butcher said to me in Fenelons in the Shopping Centre an hour ago, "Cops have arrived, Special Branch!''
    :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Was a good blast I'd say. Were south facing with about 6 miles of clear valley on top of a hill.

Was wild for about an hour.

Then it went calm

Now normal winter gusts.

Clipboard01.jpg

• Advertisement

latest from belmullet is of a 108mph gust!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

it was gone very quiet here for the last two hours but its all kicked off again with 3 big flashes of lighting and a hail shower

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

30 Foot waves now reported off Mizen Head:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Can anyone recommend a link to a simple animated forecast map so I can see whats on the way?

There's blue skies here in the septic south east. Around 2pm there was an unmerciful wind and rain shower. My 6ft x 5ft garden fence has disappeared and it isn't next door. Doh.

Edit.. patch of blue sky now gone. Normal business resumed.

Trotter wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a link to a simple animated forecast map so I can see whats on the way?

There's blue skies here in the septic south east. Around 2pm there was an unmerciful wind and rain shower. My 6ft x 5ft garden fence has disappeared and it isn't next door. Doh.

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

This is a good site that can give you expected wind conditions over the next 48 hours...has pressure gradient maps too..

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Damomanye

dead as a dodo here at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0117/breaking26.htm
    70,000 homes without electricity

Met Éireann has issued a severe weather warning Up to 70,000 homes are without electricity as fallen trees and telegraph poles have made some roads impassable around the country.

The west coast has been particularly badly hit and AA Roadwatch has advised motorists to drive with extreme care and watch out for fallen debris.

A spokesman for the ESB said areas such as Kerry and Cork were among the first to be affected by fallen power lines, but that parts of Sligo were now suffering power failure as winds and debris damaged overhead lines.

Flooding and fallen trees had blocked roads in areas as far apart as Waterford and Galway, while a vessel was said to be in difficulties off the Kerry coast.

Severe weather had been warned for today, but the ESB said its workers were doing their utmost, within safety limits, to restore services.

The spokesman said: “We are doing as much work as we can, as fast as we can.” It is hoped power will be restored before tonight, but customers were warned that conditions may make it impossible to restore electricity supplies in all areas until tomorrow.

In Tipperary, the New M8 between Urlingford and Cullahill is closed southbound due a fallen sign and diversions are in place via Johnstown to Urlinford.

Met Éireann0 has warned of severe winds of up to 140 km/h and extensive rainfall is expected later today.

There is also a risk of flooding in parts. Power lines have come down in the west and south west. Emergency repair crews are working to restore power.

A number of flights from Dublin Airport have been cancelled and travellers are advised to check flight times with their carrier.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

power was out here for a few hours. it was all over by 3:30 pm. there has been a few gusts since in the showers but the peak of it was around 2:30- 3:30 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Have we seen the worst of it then ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

I had to put timber battons on my garage to kep what felt was left .The felt tore off one side of it. Im in cork and it was unreal about 12-2pm . Hope it lasts the night.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement