Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stormy Weekend Ahead

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Strongest gust we had today in Waterford was 77kts recorded at Waterford Airport :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

it looks a bit like an eye, doesn't it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

it looks a bit like an eye, doesn't it?

Expecting more to come?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Have we seen the worst of it then ?

yeah, unfortunately it's all over. hopefully we'll get another storm before the winters out and it lasts a bit longer next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭homosapien

could be another fairly windy period as early as monday morning if the GFS models proves accurate ..

fsavneur.html

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

homosapien wrote: »
    could be another fairly windy period as early as monday morning if the GFS models proves accurate ..

fsavneur.html

GFS on its own with that. Dud run tbh. No other model is showing a storm. Not saying it's not right....just unlikely it will deepen that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Two trees (20 years old) fell at my parents house in Trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

kc66 wrote: »
    Two trees (20 years old) fell at my parents house in Trim.

thats mad i was out walking the dogs by the river in the middle of it and it didnt seem that bad :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gowayyalanger

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhsnojaumhgb/rss2/

Unfortunately there has been a fatality due to this weather event.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhsnojaumhgb/rss2/

Unfortunately there has been a fatality due to this weather event.

That report says winds up to 170mph i presume they meant kph.

I think 170mph would be some sort of record?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 gowayyalanger

You are 100% correct. Poor error on the reporter's side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Snow and lightning here in Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Lightning now on both sides of Clew Bay, Co. Mayo, 5 minutes to Midnight between 17 and 18 January,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Snow and lightning have snow stopped but the temperatures are dropping rapidly from what I can feel when I go outside!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭IRISH RAIL

lightning over kildare im in an apartment block on the top floor really good view very sporadic though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just a note on the GFS projection for Monday AM.

Now its out on a limb but at T+42hrs it cannot be dismissed.

It would bring chaos to a large chunk of Ireland especially Dublin with gusts to 90mph possible.

Lets hope its wrong

Rtavn421.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

It is probably right in general, but the upper winds will perhaps be less severe and the actual result may be more like 40 mph gusting to 70 mph at the peak which would be Monday morning for Dublin.

Here's my forecast in general as posted on the snow thread:

Scattered outbreaks of thundery snow mixed with hail or sleet across many parts of Ireland tonight, heaviest across north-central parts, starting to mix more with rain showers through the morning tomorrow but then as winds back to south 30-50 mph tomorrow evening, a period of heavy rain and more strong winds (reaching WSW 40-70 mph after midnight to about noon Monday), temps rising again to 6 or 7 C late Sunday night, then ending up with a sharp temperature fall and another round of heavy snow, hail and sleet showers on a strong westerly wind arriving Monday late morning to mid-afternoon west to east. This will perhaps leave 1-3 inches in some areas by Tuesday morning, when some heavier snow showers may develop at times, lasting most of the day. Some places could then see 2-4 inches accumulation. (The coldest air at all levels is indicated for Tuesday afternoon and could allow for "sticking snow") ...

Throughout, higher slopes that are west-facing would be favoured, but sometimes these heavy showers can move on for some distance beyond where they form, so if you have that kind of terrain to your west you might also do well. South coast always at a disadvantage but I think almost everyone will see at least some falling snow if not lying snow.

The stronger wind event for Sunday night, early Monday is probably within a range of uncertainty of about 15 mph, so it could come through as strong as gusts to 85 mph or as weak as 55 mph, have to wait and see how it plays out. Like today's storm was two days ago, this one is right now a weak frontal wave southeast of Newfoundland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Closing this now to prevent confusion with the coming weekend :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement