Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car mappng-whats done?

Options
  • 13-01-2009 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi there,I have my car remapped and am just wondering what actually happens during tuning? there's bad press for ebay chip boxes for just throwing more fuel into the engine but whats different about a proper tune up? e.g. injector timing and stuff....

Also, my car is a golf 115hp mapped to 145hp. Kind of worried about the clutch wear but my mechanic says VW have strong clutches. Would the same clutch be on the 115 as on the 130 and 150hp? if so I shouldn't have any bother?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I wouldnt say VW have strong clutches,the are only average most VW clutches can handle high BHP figures but its the torque that is the killer.

Whether or not the clutch will pack in on you is based on so many variables its not even worth worrying about i.e how many miles is on the car? how was it driven by previous owners,how is it driven by you etc etc....

As regards what is done in a map the more basic changes are injection timing,boost,turbo spool up time,fueling.A map will win out over the cheapo ebay boxes everytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

tossy wrote: »
    I wouldnt say VW have strong clutches,the are only average most VW clutches can handle high BHP figures but its the torque that is the killer.

Whether or not the clutch will pack in on you is based on so many variables its not even worth worrying about i.e how many miles is on the car? how was it driven by previous owners,how is it driven by you etc etc....

As regards what is done in a map the more basic changes are injection timing,boost,turbo spool up time,fueling.A map will win out over the cheapo ebay boxes everytime.
    ya I was wondering was it the same clutch though as the higher models as this would indicate that the clutch at present is not being asked to work above its capacity

The 115bhp is a PD engine and a six speed box but im not sure if it is identical someone with access to ETKA like crosstown would be able to tell you.

I know i had a 100pd golf (5 speed) and it was remapped to 135 ish and i never suffered any clutch slippage.

What mileage is on the car as a matter of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭DaMonk

tossy wrote: »
    The 115bhp is a PD engine and a six speed box but im not sure if it is identical someone with access to ETKA like crosstown would be able to tell you.

I know i had a 100pd golf (5 speed) and it was remapped to 135 ish and i never suffered any clutch slippage.

What mileage is on the car as a matter of interest?
    there's 110k up on it, noticed no change in the cqar with respect to clutch at all, it was done 6 months ago as well.

TO be honest at 110k i wouldn't be surprised if the flywheel went within the next 10-20k and then you would be advised to change the clutch anyway.

Best of luck with it anyway,a good map makes it seem like a new car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement