Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just cancelled 3 contract will my apps still work?

• 13-01-2009 7:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭

Will slingplayer and opera work on my phone when i switch to another network or are they set-up for 3.

Mainly use them over my wireless lan(nokia e65)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

did both programs come with the phone? If so i doubt they will work

However opera mini has a non 3 version that you can download for free and slingplayer has one too but it's not free, it's something like e29.

Were you using this sling player app with your own slingbox or from 3's service? If it came from 3 it won't work but you can get your own slingbox for about e80 and watch your own tv. I have one and it's great

Also, while you can get both of those apps working, you'll have to have a way of connecting to the internet cheaply. What network are you moving to and on pre pay or bill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Yes they will work

testicle wrote: »
    Yes they will work

3 has its own slingplayer service where they provide the channels over their network. If that's what he's using it won't work.

And if it was another network i'd say straight away that opera would work but 3 has a lot of heavily branded stuff that won't necessarily work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,588 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    did both programs come with the phone? If so i doubt they will work

However opera mini has a non 3 version that you can download for free and slingplayer has one too but it's not free, it's something like e29.

Were you using this sling player app with your own slingbox or from 3's service? If it came from 3 it won't work but you can get your own slingbox for about e80 and watch your own tv. I have one and it's great

Also, while you can get both of those apps working, you'll have to have a way of connecting to the internet cheaply. What network are you moving to and on pre pay or bill?

Thanks for the help Sam,

I got rid of the 3 slingplayer app(kept stuttering) and installed the proper version.

I think i just installed regular opera not 3 version.

So switching networks shouldn't affect these app's should it?

Thanks for the help Sam,

I got rid of the 3 slingplayer app(kept stuttering) and installed the proper version.

I think i just installed regular opera not 3 version.

So switching networks shouldn't affect these app's should it?

opera will work fine in that case. do you have your own sling box at home or are you using 3's channels?

• Advertisement

opera will work fine in that case. do you have your own sling box at home or are you using 3's channels?

Ya have my own slingbox.

Would switching to 3pay be my best option?

Is there any good data option's besides 3, for pay as you go?

on pre pay the best you'll do besides 3 is 99c per day for 50mb. it's 2c per kb up to 99c but you'd reach that after a few web pages.

so if you use the internet every day it'll cost you €29.70 a month just for the internet and the sling player uses an awful lot of data, about 1 mb a minute, so you wouldn't be able to watch it for too long every day.

on 3pay you can get 1gb for €9.99 a month and they don't seem to stop you at all, i've gone way over 1gb with it.

i carry a second phone on 3 for the sling player and general browsing because i can't justify the price on meteor but i wouldn't use them for my main phone for a variety of reasons

on vodafone you can get 19c per mb but that's completely unsuitable for the sling player because it'd be about 19c per minute

on pre pay the best you'll do besides 3 is 99c per day for 50mb. it's 2c per kb up to 99c but you'd reach that after a few web pages.

so if you use the internet every day it'll cost you €29.70 a month just for the internet and the sling player uses an awful lot of data, about 1 mb a minute, so you wouldn't be able to watch it for too long every day.

on 3pay you can get 1gb for €9.99 a month and they don't seem to stop you at all, i've gone way over 1gb with it.

i carry a second phone for the sling player and general browsing because i can't justify the price on meteor but i wouldn't use them for my main phone for a variety of reasons

on vodafone you can get 19c per mb but that's completely unsuitable for the sling player because it'd be about 19c per minute

Thanks Sam will probably switch to 02 Unlimited free texts and just use the slingplayer around the house with the wlan.

There charging me 30 euro to get it unlocked.

Thanks Sam will probably switch to 02 Unlimited free texts and just use the slingplayer around the house with the wlan.

There charging me 30 euro to get it unlocked.

if you're on bill should it not the €25? annoying i know but getting it done in a shop would cost about the same

if you're on bill should it not the €25? annoying i know but getting it done in a shop would cost about the same

Guy on the phone told me 30 when i was cancelling, told him i'd ring him back.

Anyway thanks for the help.

• Advertisement

Sam,

Do i ring 3 to unlock the billpay(nokia e65) phone first.

Then bring the phone,my id and my 3 bill to the o2 shop to port my old number over?

Sam,

Do i ring 3 to unlock the billpay(nokia e65) phone first.

Then bring the phone,my id and my 3 bill to the o2 shop to port my old number over?

3 requires 30 days notice to cancel the contract so the best way to do it is say that you want to cancel your contract in 30 days and request the unlocking code at that time, although they might not give it to you until the 30 days are up. on say the 29th day, before the contract ends and the number is deactivated, go into the o2 shop. the number has to be active because they're supposed to verify that it's yours

if you're porting to pre pay you shouldn't need id and a bill but there's no harm bringing them. make sure the bill's dated within 3 months and the id is in date

you can just go into the o2 shop and port without contacting 3 if you want but it's better to let them know beforehand in case there are any problems with getting the code and because 3 will charge you for an extra 30 days anyway so you might as well use them.

also, there can be delays in getting the code so if you don't have the code before you go into the shop, you should have a spare phone that you can put your new sim into while you're waiting.

most of the hassle here is getting the unlock code from 3 so if you want to avoid that hassle you can bring it to these guys: http://gsmsolutionsltd.com. they unlocked my phone in a few minutes for €25 and they give a discount for boards members. they're just off o'connell street in dublin

Thanks again Sam appreciate it.

I canceled the contract 3 weeks ago so will ring them to get the unlock code.

What would happen to your number if you don't switch to a new network in time, would you lose your number.

probably not. I'm sure something can be done because the number isn't instantly reallocated but it's just less hassle to avoid it

also, make sure when you're asking for the code that 3 understand that you don't want your contract to be instantly deactivated. You don't want to leave anything to chance with them

Just rang them said it will take up to 20 days.

Will take an old phone into 02 and port my number onto that phone, until i get the unlock code.

Is there any danger of 3 charging me anything extra if i switch etorks before the last day of my contract?

they can only charge you what you owe them, eg if you have ten days left on your contract they will charge you for the ten days but can't charge you for any more

Advertisement