Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumors....

• 13-01-2009 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Been hearing lots of these later...don't know if I believe them does anyone know if any of these are true??

Talbot hotel closing down??
    Mount Wolseley closing for a few months??
    Ramada (now Killerig Resort not Ramada) only opening at weekends??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

i wouldnt give much validity to these rumors...

did any one else see, though, tesco not opening 24hours any more 7am-12am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

aynon wrote: »
    i wouldnt give much validity to these rumors...

did any one else see, though, tesco not opening 24hours any more 7am-12am?

yeah seen that about tesco all right. Have you guys ever seen the bleak amount of customers in tesco in the middle of the night. It just couldnt stay working that way. The staff at night outnumbered the customers anytime i was in it in the wee hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭HugoIrl

Not surprised about tesco, even some of the bigger towns around the country wouldn't be open 24 hrs. Most only do it leading up to xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Well the tesco thing is a national thing they are doing not just in carlow.

Thats a pretty big move, heard they were having their slowest growth since the mid '90's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,904 ✭✭✭patrickc

it's definitely true about Mount Wolsely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

it happening all over the the country,,and its only the begining,,:(

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

I though mount wolseley would be doing well....thats crazy! Heard bout Tesco but nor surprised because a friend of mine stacked shelves in there from 10pm till 6am and he was earing unbelievable money per hour...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Shut the whole country down and we'll all move to the sun and wait for it to blow over!

Sounds like a good plan to me....:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

patrickc wrote: »
    it's definitely true about Mount Wolsely
    Have u good info on this Patrick. Its the one I expected to be least likely to be true.

mickos wrote: »
    Have u good info on this Patrick. Its the one I expected to be least likely to be true.

well I heard it's to close for a revamp if they have the money then they'll reopen if not it'll stay closed, heard this off a few people from tullow / shilleagh now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

well I heard it's to close for a revamp if they have the money then they'll reopen if not it'll stay closed, heard this off a few people from tullow / shilleagh now.
    God it hardly needs a re vamp, its not long since its last one. Guess you never know these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

well I heard it's to close for a revamp
    A revamp? Really? I would doubt that, the new (main bit) is only open 3/4 years? I would have thought the Ramada Killerig would be worse off business wise

just been told that it's closing for 6 months out of 12, not for a revamp i was mistaken. apologies

There is nothing up on their website... I wonder what'll happen to the gym (they recently redid it) lots of members would have paid for a year..:rolleyes:

There is nothing up on their website... I wonder what'll happen to the gym (they recently redid it) lots of members would have paid for a year..:rolleyes:

ive never been in it , would it be possible to leave the gym open and not the accommodation end of it I wonder?

I'm not sure I was only in it once and had to walk through the hotel but its possible there could be another door... I had figured mount wolseley would be doing well..they recently held all the DIT graduations and with the ice skating rink and all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

There is a seperate Leisure Centre entrance. It's also accessable via the golf club. The owners house is in there too so they have to leave that door open! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭aynon

HugoIrl wrote: »
    Thats a pretty big move, heard they were having their slowest growth since the mid '90's

what i find funny is its the slowest growth. but growth is still growth, at least its not a loss.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The Ramada was still the Ramada on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sionnach beag

Having read this tread, I believe you to very mistaken.I know mount wolseley is still open 7 days a week, and is open for the entire year and there after. How do I know this? I work there and I'm not someone out there trying to cause people concern for their jobs etc.

At least we've got a definite answer from a direct source, thanks for the update and information.

Having read this tread, I believe you to very mistaken.I know mount wolseley is still open 7 days a week, and is open for the entire year and there after. How do I know this? I work there and I'm not someone out there trying to cause people concern for their jobs etc.

this is a rumours thread, and it is a rumour going about

testicle wrote: »
    The Ramada was still the Ramada on Tuesday.

My cousin works there and she said that as of the 2nd of Jan it is no longer the Ramada but it takes weeks it actually change everything. they have a new website www.killerigresort.com or something like that..:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

stick-dan wrote: »
    yeah seen that about tesco all right. Have you guys ever seen the bleak amount of customers in tesco in the middle of the night. It just couldnt stay working that way. The staff at night outnumbered the customers anytime i was in it in the wee hours.

That wasn't the point of them opening 24 hours, the service to customers was extra. They are more productive and it's safer to stock the shelves at night. Them staff on at night are on extra wage, I wouldn't be surprised if they changed their hours to cutback on wages expenditure. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I was told by a very reliable source that the Dolmen was to close for 3 months+ due to slow business. Didnt hear anything about any other hotels closing though. The Heritage in Portlaoise has over 160 weddings booked in for 09 so far not to mention their other entertainment and functions and i know this for a fact. Also Tesco would have had those people working there at that hour anyway because thats when the big supermarkets restock their shelves and when most of their deliveries come in. Its a fairly big job that couldnt be done during the day.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Is it true that the "new" restaurant in the Bagnal is closing? I've heard they let 9 staff go after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

Its safer to stock the shelves at night?

Have you ever been in there when there stocking the shelves at night, you would fall over boxes ever corner you turn, things are just dumped and left there for customers to dodge, suprised noone has ever fallen over them and got a few euro for themselves.....

That wasn't the point of them opening 24 hours, the service to customers was extra. They are more productive and it's safer to stock the shelves at night. Them staff on at night are on extra wage, I wouldn't be surprised if they changed their hours to cutback on wages expenditure. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

My cousin works there and she said that as of the 2nd of Jan it is no longer the Ramada but it takes weeks it actually change everything. they have a new website www.killerigresort.com or something like that..:rolleyes:

They'd want to take down the big Ramada sign at the gate so... :pac:

Advertisement