Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire alarms for hearing impaired

Options
  • 13-01-2009 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭

I have tried google but cant seem to find anything suitable.A customer of mine is looking for her fire alarm to be adapted for a almost fully deaf person.I was hoping there was such a thing as a strobe built in to a conventional detector rather than fitting a strobe in every room.I have seen sirens built into bases of smoke detectors before has anyone any ideas for me.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The strobes would be the best option. Another would be fitting detectors with the red led, although this would not instantly attract you attention.
    If you want a cheap & handy solution try one of these
    http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Apex-Mens-Anti-snore-Watch/3008465/product.html
    I know, I know its an anti snoring device. But basically how it works is it picks up noises over a certin decibel & vibrates on the wrist. Now is combination with the LEDs on the detectors as mentioned above it would be effective enough to get your attention to check out the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

Have a look at the ei websit e

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

davelerave wrote: »

+1
    you may have to change the smoke detector to an IE unit but they have add on sounders and strobes and the detectors can link up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭g.quagmire

koolkid wrote: »
    The strobes would be the best option. Another would be fitting detectors with the red led, although this would not instantly attract you attention.
    If you want a cheap & handy solution try one of these
    http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches/Apex-Mens-Anti-snore-Watch/3008465/product.html
    I know, I know its an anti snoring device. But basically how it works is it picks up noises over a certin decibel & vibrates on the wrist. Now is combination with the LEDs on the detectors as mentioned above it would be effective enough to get your attention to check out the system.

Thanks koolkid I dont think this will do although its a very clever idea imo.I might invest in one of these watches anyway for the other half.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭g.quagmire

davelerave wrote: »

Thanks Dave I never heard of this company before but they seem to have what im looking for.This and linking the alarm to her mobile which lights up and vibrates should be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

g.quagmire wrote: »
    Thanks koolkid I dont think this will do although its a very clever idea imo.I might invest in one of these watches anyway for the other half.

NPs good luck with whatever you go for.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 BarryC

g.quagmire wrote: »
    I have tried google but cant seem to find anything suitable.A customer of mine is looking for her fire alarm to be adapted for a almost fully deaf person.I was hoping there was such a thing as a strobe built in to a conventional detector rather than fitting a strobe in every room.I have seen sirens built into bases of smoke detectors before has anyone any ideas for me.

Thanks
    There are many options for people that are hard of hearing. The most popular one is a paging system that will send a page once the fire alarm activates. Check www.deaf-alerter.com for more details.

There also many other products like the wrist watch above that will vibrate when the sounds operate and comply with the irish standards. http://personal-protective-safety-equipment.co.uk/Smoke-Alarms/Deafguard-Smoke-Alarm.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

You can get vibrating pillows as well which, can be hard wired into an RJ45 outlet or radio controlled

Advertisement