Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car insurance

Options
  • 13-01-2009 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

hello everyone,
    i just passed my driving test today:D,and i want to buy a car,just woundering what is the cheapest insurer for me,im male,19 and thinkin of buyin a 1.3 or a 1.4 car,also im turnin 20 in few months,would the insurance be cheaper if i waited till im 20,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Moved from AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

call 123.ie and they will sort you out. My insurance is up and they have quoted me the cheapest by far. Easily saved 200 yo yos on the next cheapest quote.

Fair play on passing test. Still have to sit it myself and im 29!! although only driving a year so not too bad.

happy driving

va va voom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i qouted around an its not too cheap...

the cheapist ive been qouted is 1250 on a 1989 mishi colt... worth 150 euro... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭ahmed89

frag420 wrote: »
    call 123.ie and they will sort you out. My insurance is up and they have quoted me the cheapest by far. Easily saved 200 yo yos on the next cheapest quote.

Fair play on passing test. Still have to sit it myself and im 29!! although only driving a year so not too bad.

happy driving

va va voom
    good advice,ill try that,thanks

S.I.R wrote: »

the cheapist ive been qouted is 1250 on a 1989 mishi colt... worth 150 euro... :mad:
    not bad,ill be happy enogh if i get that price for a 1.3,i was qouted 2k for a 1.3,but i would still like to find something abit lower than 1250,1k would be really sound,more advice people please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

ahmed89 wrote: »
    not bad,ill be happy enogh if i get that price for a 1.3,i was qouted 2k for a 1.3,but i would still like to find something abit lower than 1250,1k would be really sound,more advice people please
    I'm 21 and I've a full licence 2 years, 2 years NCB too and I was payind 1150 on a 1.2 Punto sportin, you aint gonna insure any car for 1k man, well I really doubt it.

Quinn is the cheapest. Actually a chap I know goes through some place called Prestige, says they're very reasonible

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

you can buy a commercial vehicle, age doesnt matter. im 19 with full licence a year and i drive a 2.5td 4x4 commercial, insurance is 1600, if yyou dont feel like a big 4x4 an estate car or a carvan (peugot 206 van or something) could be an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Call into a broker and give 123,bestquote etc a call.

Your probably looking at around 1200-1600e for a 1.3/1.4.I wouldnt worry too much about the insurance, its not as bad as it used to be, if you shop around you will get a good deal.

Well done on the passing the test, going by the news you passed at the perfect time :D

What you thinking of buying?

you can buy a commercial vehicle, age doesnt matter. im 19 with full licence a year and i drive a 2.5td 4x4 commercial, insurance is 1600, if yyou dont feel like a big 4x4 an estate car or a carvan (peugot 206 van or something) could be an option

How does that work out?

Do you have to prove you use the car/van for commercial reasons or can you get away without having to give in those details?

Isnt there some rule that you cant drive on weekends too?

well i actually use it for commercial reasons but the only person thats ever asked me was the tax office , and they just make you write what you do, i just wrote repair computers and they let me on my way,

ive been stopped at garda checkpoints at 2am on saturdays etc and never once been told no, there might be something about it but its seldom enforced, half my work is nights and weekends anyway

• Advertisement

Tony Broke wrote: »
    Call into a broker and give 123,bestquote etc a call.

Your probably looking at around 1200-1600e for a 1.3/1.4.I wouldnt worry too much about the insurance, its not as bad as it used to be, if you shop around you will get a good deal.

Well done on the passing the test, going by the news you passed at the perfect time :D

What you thinking of buying?
    well i allways wanted the old bemmers (e30) as my first car,but since they start from 1.6 that is gone now,so im thinkin maybe a civic,allthough i think they are kind of expensive as well :rolleyes:,im still lookin around

well i allways wanted the old bemmers (e30) as my first car,but since they start from 1.6 that is gone now,so im thinkin maybe a civic,allthough i think they are kind of expensive as well :rolleyes:,im still lookin around

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/530i-Tou/200844190712928/advert

commercial :D

With a full license you want pay a whole lot extra for a 1.6 bmw.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1291636

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

A 3 Litre Car as his first car? Not the best idea

lol i cant see my self drivin with that to college everyday,its huuuge,look kinda cool though

can i get 6 months insurance instead of 1 yr??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

You can pay monthly by direct debit. I think there is normally a penalty of €50 or thereabouts (depends on company) if you cancel policy prematurely. Why do you ask about 6 months insurance?

Fizman wrote: »
    You can pay monthly by direct debit. I think there is normally a penalty of €50 or thereabouts (depends on company) if you cancel policy prematurely. Why do you ask about 6 months insurance?
    cos i dont want to pay for full year,cos ill be away for the whole summer(3 months)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

You can suspend your insurance while you are away for the 3 months,you will still get the 3 months on your NCB but make sure to have the car parked somewhere safe as it wont be insured!

jackncoke wrote: »
    You can suspend your insurance while you are away for the 3 months,you will still get the 3 months on your NCB but make sure to have the car parked somewhere safe as it wont be insured!
    i didnt know you could do that,thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

S.I.R wrote: »

That's a bloody good quote for a 16 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

ahmed, try insure.ie you might get good cheap quote. Thanks.

zulfikarMD wrote: »
    ahmed, try insure.ie you might get good cheap quote. Thanks.
    i tried that and i got quoted for 2.1k,i really thought insurance would be cheaper when i got my full licence,thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hurley6969

Ahmed try this (for a car):
    http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_search.jsp?nU=0&make=HONDA&model=CIVIC&min_pr=&max_pr=3000&postcode=bt39jp&miles=40&max_records=200&modelexact=1&photo=1&hassearched=Y
    (Postcode is Belfast)

Im looking at buying a civic, I'm going up north, lower mileage and better specs than down here and the VRT is 300 - 400 for civics in the 98-00 region. So with the exchange rate at the mo you will have a great spec one down here for 2500 all in.

Oh and it doesn't matter what your driving you won't get insurance for 1000.

Hurley6969 wrote: »
    Ahmed try this (for a car):
    http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_search.jsp?nU=0&make=HONDA&model=CIVIC&min_pr=&max_pr=3000&postcode=bt39jp&miles=40&max_records=200&modelexact=1&photo=1&hassearched=Y
    (Postcode is Belfast)

Im looking at buying a civic, I'm going up north, lower mileage and better specs than down here and the VRT is 300 - 400 for civics in the 98-00 region. So with the exchange rate at the mo you will have a great spec one down here for 2500 all in.

Oh and it doesn't matter what your driving you won't get insurance for 1000.
    i never consederd buying a car from the north,but looking at the prices now it doesnt sound like a bad idea,thanks very much;)

BTW love the white civic

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hurley6969

You can also change the "within miles" from Belfasts' postcode to up to 200 miles from it, you will get a larger selection and the cars will still be in the North somewhere. Some really nice cars going for way cheaper than down here.

Advertisement