Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Decision

Options
  • 13-01-2009 8:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi,

Would like people's opinions on this as I'm not sure what to do.

Stupidly got a 3 yr fixed mortgage in 2007 at 5.24%, variable rate is now 4.13%. 21 months left on fixed mortgage and breakage fee is roughy €10,050. If i dropped to the variable rate now at 4.13% I would pay around €300 less on my mortgage each month but my outstanding balance would increase by €10,050.

21 months * 300 = €6,300

Breakage fee = €10,050

Is the right choice to see out my fixed term? Or to take the hit on the breakage fee and hope they pass on the future rate cuts?

Have to make a decision tomorrow before the ECB meeting on Thursday.

THanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Call your bank manager, and offer a deal on the breakage (say, 7000).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Feng Shui

3DataModem wrote: »
    Call your bank manager, and offer a deal on the breakage (say, 7000).

Is this the done thing? Would they negotiate as it wouldn't be in their interest to do so?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Why do you have to make a decision before tomorrow? the breakage fee will change but it would be more important to know if your bank does or doesn't pass on the cut.

From your figures, i'd stick with the fixed rate, trying to beat the bank is a mugs game and 10k is a ridiculous breakage fee. As long as you can afford the repayments.

edit, are you saying they will add the 10k to the capital balance? if you dont have the 10K to pay then forget about it, it will cost you up to 20k to save maybe 10k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Feng Shui

Senna wrote: »
    Why do you have to make a decision before tomorrow? the breakage fee will change but it would be more important to know if your bank does or doesn't pass on the cut.

From your figures, i'd stick with the fixed rate, trying to beat the bank is a mugs game and 10k is a ridiculous breakage fee. As long as you can afford the repayments.

Well the breakage fee will increase if the ECB cut rates which they more than likely will. The breakage fee is calculated on the difference in the interest rates in the fixed and variable on the balance of the mortgage multiplied by the number of days left in the fixed term.

Seems like the right decision is to stick with the fixed mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭PIMPHO

I would say stick with the fixed unless you can negotiate the breakage fee down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement