Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britain's Got Talent 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

JP Liz wrote: »
    Holly the brat shouldnt have got a second chance to perform - she was very demanding (i wonder were the tears an act to get the sympathy vote)

I don't think it was an act in that it was precalculated.

It was just a young girl who couldn't take the pressure and got cranky when she didn't get her way

• Registered Users Posts: 43,925 ✭✭✭✭Basq

JP Liz wrote: »
    Holly the brat shouldnt have got a second chance to perform - she was very demanding (i wonder were the tears an act to get the sympathy vote)
    Ah come on... she was hardly demanding!

• Company Representative Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Gamesnash.ie: Pat

Just to make clear I'm posting this in a personal capacity and not as a spokesperson for Gamesnash ! :)

There's a lot points being made about Holly and that she should not have been allowed to sing again and there is some justification for them. In the audition process a couple of times people were allowed to start again / try a different song etc. You could argue that it's a part of the process because there has been a precedent set.

That said though some of the comments here have been very personally critical of the little girl herself. She is 10 years old for Gods sake. She swallowed halfway through a word tripped up and lost her composure. Yes there are other kids who didn't trip up etc but the fact is she did and she was too young to handle it.

Yes she cried, she was extremely upset. Adult performers have left that stage in tears too. For anyone to suggest or imply she faked the tears and cynically asked for another go is crazy ! Yes she stamped her feet - you could call it a tantrum but again I come back to it she is 10 years old. How many adults during the audition processes for shows like this act exactly the same - even this year there was a guy who refused to leave the stage etc. It's just that she wasn't mature enough to handle it going wrong and expressed her emotions like a 10 year old does.

Does it raise the question is 10 too young to be involved in a show like this ? - Absolutely. It is clear that some can crack up and some can handle it so that question is a debate in itself.

Did the mother act inappropriately ? Maybe she did by allowing her daughter to enter the competition. But if she was wrong then perhaps the mother of the dancer who won last night should be vilified too ? Once there and involved in the show last night what mother would not echo the appeal of her distraught child to be allowed to sing again ? If I was there and my daughter had of been that upset I'd have done exactly the same and a whole lot more. This wasn't a child throwing a tantrum about not getting an ice cream. This was a child faced with enormous pressure, feeling their entire life was on the line, hyped up by the producers and their interviews where the mindset is planted into them about how "this is the most important chance of my life" and seeing it all come crumbling down around her. Coming back and singing again took a lot of bottle.

What I'm saying is by all means criticise the program and the age limit issue that is raised but leave off the child. She doesn't deserve that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

My vote is with tantrum. Really unfair that she got a second chance when so many others didn't.

Merged with existing BGT thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

twanda wrote: »
    My vote is with tantrum. Really unfair that she got a second chance when so many others didn't.

A tantrum? Looks like a little girl who is upset to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

What a horrible child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What I'm saying is by all means criticise the program and the age limit issue that is raised but leave off the child. She doesn't deserve that.

Let's also not forget that it's rare in this kind of talent competition for the producers not to orchestrate some kind of controversy in order to rake in viewers to the final. It's all over Youtube and the Internet, it'll probably be in all of today's Tabloids, including Sky News, and the result will be massive viewing figures tonight.

I'm not saying that the rigged the vote or anything, but there was a good chance that Hollie would be up in the top three, and who's to say she wasn't encouraged to cry for a bit of attention if that situation came up? She is 10 after all, and performing in front of millions of viewers, so it probably wouldn't have taken much to get her going.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That was hard to watch. She's a talented 10 year old girl, and nerves got the better of her.

Tantrum? Give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sparkydee

That poor kid i felt so sorry for her. I certainly wouldn't call her a brat. I think she was a little girl who got overwhelmed by the situation i'd love to see her win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

seemed like a brat to me. if that was an adult and they choked they wouldn't get another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sparkydee

But that's the point she's not an adult and i think she deserved another chance.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    A tantrum? Looks like a little girl who is upset to me.
    I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Yes so unfair to give a little 10 year old girl a second chance instead of completly destoying any chance of her getting back on a stage again along with her dreams.
    Seriously....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Celtic3x

Susan.Boyle.not.to.win.4/5-boylesports!

must.be.worth.a.punt.IMO

to.much.of.a.hype.on.her&she.has.allready.won.to.a.point.allready

I.fell.a.singer.will.win.but.which.one.

Susan Boyle has it in the bag unfortunately!

If not, I'll come back here and eat my hat!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

basquille wrote: »

Hmm if i believed that Voting actually counted id vote like hell for diversity
    Jst to see that :P

I'm hoping Diversity wins it too actually..

• Registered Users Posts: 54,392 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Celtic3x wrote: »
    Susan.Boyle.not.to.win.4/5-boylesports!

must.be.worth.a.punt.IMO

to.much.of.a.hype.on.her&she.has.allready.won.to.a.point.allready

I.fell.a.singer.will.win.but.which.one.

is that you william shatner

seemed like a brat to me. if that was an adult and they choked they wouldn't get another chance.

Because perhaps the pressure relative to an adult and the pressure relative to a 10 year old kid means there's a lot more on the kid and an allowance could be made ?

During the audition stages there were a number of acts given second chances to sing a different song or start again etc. The violinist on Sunday night entered with her mate as a duo and was given a second chance to come back and perform solo which would have been well after closing date for entries etc but nobody got up in arms there. There was enough precedent set in earlier auditions to allow a second chance on the night too.

And it's never happened before that someone adult or child broke down / choked to that extent that I'm aware of. Who's to say that an adult wouldn't have been allowed to ? To say that others didn't get a second chance is not the same considering they completed their performance and were judged on what was their best effort.

• Advertisement

You best stick your hat in the oven Basquile :p

I'd be gobsmacked if she won at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 graham41

bad bastards the lot of ye talking negatively bout Hollie

You best stick your hat in the oven Basquile :o

I'd be gobsmacked if she won at this stage.
    Publicity sells... and she does that in spades! :)

All I've heard all week is about Susan Boyle and her tantrums, ready to pack her bags, moving into a safe house (etc).

She could sing a Whigfield or Chumbawumba song poorly tonight.. and still win on sheer popularity / publicity alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Aidan Davis to win, Holly to break her leg so she can't perform and Susan Boyle to go directly out of tune halfway through. Rumor has it she takes a right little tantrum when she sees a camera following her in the street.

If she want's to win, then she'll need to get use to the publicity.

Publicity sells... and she does that in spades! :)

All I've heard all week is about Susan Boyle and her tantrums, ready to pack her bags, moving into a safe house (etc).

She could sing a Whigfield or Chumbawumba song poorly tonight.. and still win on sheer popularity / publicity alone.

I hear ya just have an inkling that she's running out of steam with the public vote. Had the same feeling the year Will Young won Pop Idol when everyone had Garth Gates pegged as a shoe in. Don't doubt that she'd be a worthy winner but just have that feeling it's a bit tighter than people think up there. Anyway you can laugh at me later ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Hollie will win, sympathy vote...voters are mostly women and girls...they'll all vote for Hollie. Master stroke from her, waterworks and second chance. Played the public and judges like a fiddle....Oscar winning performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

If one person is allowed sing again then it should be given to all people across the board.

If one person is allowed sing again then it should be given to all people across the board.

Did anyone else ask to sing again ;) ????

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are you for real??
    Shes a young child.
    Could you perform for millions of people without getting nervous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I think Amanda's dress is the real winner. Yowzers.

Advertisement