Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Britain's Got Talent 2009

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I don't know about anyone else, but I can't tire of watching the Susan Boyle clip, one on youtube has been viewed 5.5 million times in four days

Susan Boyle's performance reminded me of this one from America's Got Talent. Just in the way the audience completely turns around

Usual American tear-jerking story at the beginning, but his performance is pretty amazing, especially when they went from booing to a standing ovation.

the video sums up how utterly shíte the country are as a nation.. what a singer tho, good video.

susan boyle video is class aswell, def the biggest moment of her life i'd say..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Demi Moore was moved to tears watching Susan Boyle sing.

http://www.rte.ie/arts/2009/0415/britainsgottalent.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

susan boyle was good shes not good, people just think shes better than she is because it was unexpected. flawless werent great either, watch a show in america called americas next dance crew or msaomething like that, they would wipe the floor of flawless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 pinkenergy

Susan Boyle is the real deal.
    She has a wonderful voice and I have compared her to Elaine Page and other such luminaries.
    Of course there was the "shock"value. But that just annoys me as you should not judge somebody on their appearance and I never do.I really dont judge it came up on a course I was on once. Communication Degree to be honest but having said the lecturer did say that 90% of people do. So I guess Im in the minority.
    Susan has a wonderfully powerful voice full of emotion and would bring most to tears.
    Hope she wins.
    Not some little kid who is 6 years old who sings something sweet. Im sick of this kind of attention on kids. Sure they are nice but they are taking away the prize from somebody more deserving. Anyway back on track Susan Boye to win for me.:eek::cool::P:D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Pfft, it does not matter if Susan wins the competition or not, she's already got a bright future

She declared she wanted to be a professional singer when asked by the judges what the dream was & once she let those dulcet notes loose, none of us needed to be told that her dream had just come true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Susan Boyle is even a celeb now in the US - she is suppose to appear on Oprah - i dont think she even needs to win now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭CuppaCocoa

Susan Boyle gave a passable performance. Her voice was ok but her timing was off and there were no dynamics in the piece. She belted her way through it. Definately a sympathy vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 pinkenergy

I agree with you that her voice is enough in itself. Fortunately she is getting a lot of airplay on Youtube and on US tv. She has a wonderful voice and I dont know if your being naive but sometimes it helps to win also. Having said that all I wished her was well and winning would be terrific for her. it helped Paul Potts and it would further help her. What on earth is wrong with wishing somebody well. You need to get rid of some of your angst in other places and let the lady shine in every way. She deserves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

She was great,but I hope she gets her eyebrows plucked and afew other things tidyed up(hair,shoes etc etc),she would scrub up very well.Do you think??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

holly1 wrote: »
    She was great,but I hope she gets her eyebrows plucked and afew other things tidyed up(hair,shoes etc etc),she would scrub up very well.Do you think??

Don't worry Simon will sort that out. He turns all his winners into plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

the video sums up how utterly shíte the country are as a nation.. what a singer tho, good video.

susan boyle video is class aswell, def the biggest moment of her life i'd say..

Jaysis what an audience of a**wipes. They were mocking him before he even sung a note. That guy deserves a million squids for singing through that.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

chinas got talent better imo. absolute rubbish.

How can you say that?

A lot of the rubbish is intended to be there because people generally enjoy the really bad auditions.

But I wouldn't call Susan Boyle rubbish, nor Paul Potts, Signature and Faria Smith.

And the dance group from the first show, Flawless, were aptly named and were just amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

An audience full of idiots - what the hell was their problem??

And it was interesting that they used the Westlife version there, rather than Josh Groban's - bearing in mind that it was in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Thought it was quite entertaining last night however on certain acts I would have taken Simon Cowel's side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsLDbp6MOyM

Shorten version start at 2:00

I also wonder if the women with the dog and the women with the bird were chasing their arm or just had a bad day?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Susan Boyle gave a passable performance. Her voice was ok but her timing was off and there were no dynamics in the piece. She belted her way through it. Definitely a sympathy vote.

I wouldn't call it a sympathy vote. There was definitely a big surprise that she could sing so well that meant she got a better reception than she might have done if she was a twenty-something barbie doll with a reasonable voice, which in it self I think is a rather disgraceful indictment on our society and how much most of us judge people based on their looks.
    It's like they couldn't believe that a middle-aged woman who quite clearly doesn't feel the need to conform to how society thinks a woman should look could possibly have any gifts or talents looking as she does! :mad:
    Why should it be such a huge shock that someone who would be deemed by society as unattractive has a talent?? (not aimed at you lilybarlean, I know you didn't say that, just throwing it out there;)) and I know it was a U.K. audience so I hope she wouldn't have gotten the disgraceful jeering and laughing from the audience if it was here. I hope anyway...
    And the way the intro. was set up and edited to make us prejudge her and set her up as this mad cat lady spinster who was clearly only there for us to mock and ridicule when she got on stage was just awful.
    She showed them though and good for her! I hope she wins.

Sure she belted it out but I think the quality of her voice was more than passable and she was pitch perfect. Plus she said she was nervous and had never sang in front of a large audience before, never mind on a T.V. show! Of course she needs some work with a voice coach to refine it but what amateur singers doesn't if they want to be a good professional singer?
    That'll come later. The raw material is good and she undoubtedly has talent. I look forward to seeing more of her in the competition and wish her success. By all accounts she's a lovely lady who does a lot of charitable work in her local community and who's had a tough life. This is her time to show what she can do. I just hope she gets the right manager and agent that will look after her well. She can do better than Simon Cowell I reckon:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

the first episode was very good but i thought the second one was quite disappointing. the saxophone player and the kid singing michael jackson were both good but they exaggerated how good they were imo. stavros flatley has definitely been the most entertaining act so far for me. however, that was largely due to the element of surprise involved and i dont see how they can improve their act in the semis.

with regards to susan boyle, it was a very good performance but her singing was a bit off at times and it certainly wasn't a perfect performance. i thought simon would have pointed out that she could have been better. Then again, as i said, it was a very good performance and lot better than most of us could ever do so credit where credits due.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

the 2nd one was **** alright. what was so great about the saxophone player? and the michael jackson was brilliant but it seemed staged? still amazing though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Why did simon stop the 12yr old from singing Valerie? He was good at both songs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

padocon wrote: »
    Why did simon stop the 12yr old from singing Valerie? He was good at both songs!

i thought he was all over the place when he was singing valerie. simon got it spot on telling him to sing a different song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

padocon wrote: »
    Because it was set up to add some drama. The kid was murdering Valerie though, but he nailed the MJ song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ProperDeadly

Just watched the audition with the little ballerina/singer girl.

Does anyone else think she is very obviously miming? especially when she reaches the high notes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭conorlechance

No interest in the show except for Simon Cowell at the early stages, but that HipHop group was epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Agreed on the hiphop dance group, thought they were brilliant. The slow-motion chariots of fire piece in the middle was pure genius.

Anyone else watching this tonight? Thought they were a bit harsh on the the piano playing girl. Her mate on the electric violin wasn't that brilliant. She's back though, so maybe she'll be better this time...

More dance troupes aswell, seems to be the act de jour

Edit: She came back, I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I wasn't overly impressed, have seen far better. Good, it was; "phenomenal" it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maggie797

same as me... thought she was good but not fantastic

The sax guy was great for entertainment lol he won the crowd over!

Last year, the Glasgow crowd were especially nasty t bad acts, I wonder did they exercise a little more crowd control this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

That guy Jamie Pugh has a fantastic voice,it was so natural and unforced.
    He went down very well,will give Susan a run for her money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Can't see him lasting on stage though without collapsing. He was a nervous wreck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

holly1 wrote: »
    That guy Jamie Pugh has a fantastic voice,it was so natural and unforced.
    He went down very well,will give Susan a run for her money.
    I agree that he was nervous but he was something else - had me rushing to the tissues, brilliant - really hope that he can overcome his stagefright.

Advertisement