Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best authentic Chinese/Indian restaurant in town

Options
  • 13-01-2009 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

I'm looking to go to a proper Chinese restaurant in town, i'd imagine these are around Dorset Street or Parnell St. Can anyone advise me on where to go. I'm looking for the real deal, a place that the actual Chinese or Indian people would eat.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im a regular at tandoori bite on richmond street south, very nice food

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Goodworld on South Great Georges St is probably the best chinese ive been to, but theres a place around the corner, on that road in between weir and brown thomas, its called "the imperial".,
    You know its a proper Chinese restaurant when theres always loads of Chinese people in there., :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnJericho

Are they pricey?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There is a Chinese across from McDonalds in the ILAC with a golden buddha in the window. I don't know what it is called, but there are two together and it's the one with the buddha you want.
    They have two menus. They will probably give you the one for Irish people, but ask for the Chinese one. All sorts of stuff on it. Absolutely authentic.

The best Indian, imo, is Kinara out in Clontarf, a little bit out of town. Medina Desi curry company in Mary Street is good.

Are they pricey?

Goodworld is reasonable, i think the imperial is a little more expencive. the service in goodworld is better and the place has a nice atmosphere.

I think you would be looking at somewhere between 13-20 quid each main course and then whatever else you might want. ive often spent 40quid between 2 of us for a great meal but other times the bill could be anywhere in the 150 mark, all depends on what you want and i usually order 2 dishes for myself alone., :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

rupsha indian on dorset street is lovely but i will admit my OH doesnt like it

i was talking to a chinese taxi driver one night and he told me to avoid the stereotypical chinese restraunts on dorset/parnell street. they serve us mere irish the muck and give their own the good stuff. imagine!

not in town, but the nicest chinese ive ever ate in is EATZEN in ashbourne. quality food and service. apparently ALL chinese's use a particular chemical to marinate the food and keep it for longer, however eatzen and serveral others ONLY in the ENTIRE country DONT use this chemical. made me think twice about ordering chinese when the lads come over

another nice one, sorry again not in city centre, is silks in malahide. although the snobbery out here if your not from malahide (and its busy) is laughable to say the least.

Ive heard some really bad storys about the service in silks, from asian people/irish and non malahide's., I personally have no plans to go near the place from what a lot of people are saying about it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

vtec wrote: »
    theres a place around the corner, on that road in between weir and brown thomas
    Wicklow Street. ;)
    spurious wrote: »
    They have two menus. They will probably give you the one for Irish people, but ask for the Chinese one
    Presumably, though, it's written in Chinese! :eek:
    Táck wrote: »
    silks in malahide
    Grossly over-rated. I've only been there twice and on both occasions the 'service' was a joke.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Presumably, though, it's written in Chinese! :eek:

It is, but it has bizarre translations like "husband and wife lung" and "Madame Song's crispy bits" - both of which could be entirely a literal description of what you get.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

spurious wrote: »
    "husband and wife lung" and "Madame Song's crispy bits"
    :eek: :D

• Advertisement

If your ever in wongs or goodworld, be sure to try out the chrispy chilli beef. theres nothing like it.
    Its crispy fine rice noodles with thin slices of beef in breadcrumb covered in sweet chilli sauce and green peppers., I get it every time,. :D

Also, the meat combination is another recommended dish.,

The Crispy Chilli Beef in Noble House is super yummy too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

do they have any dumpling joints in Dublin? Seems to be all the Chinese eat

China House do dumplings.

Actually that reminds me, the name of the really authentic Chinese that I mentioned earlier is Mandarin House.

Here's a reviewer who chanced the husband and wife lung.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Don't know the name of it, but has anyone been to the Chinese Restaurant half way down Capel Street, on the left if you're looking towards the Liffey. It has glazed models of all their dishes in the window.

That place looks interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

There is an array of fantastics ones on Parnell street.

Can't remember the name but about 3 doors past the Korean BBQ place (past Fibbers) is a very authentic Chinese. Great ma-po tofu and steamed veggies. The have dumplings too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

not sure if it's still there, but i went into a grotty little chinese cafe in the middle of moore street that did the most authentic chinese food I've had (outside of asia anyway) and unless you know what you're ordering you could well end up with anything. :)

as it was, we did some guesswork and everything was excellent but i still couldn't tell you what haelf of it was. something was crispy pork type stuff and there were some aubergines and 100 year old eggs in some of the other stuff that arrived. all well tasty anyway and no sweet and sour chicken in sight! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Amalgam wrote: »
    Don't know the name of it, but has anyone been to the Chinese Restaurant half way down Capel Street, on the left if you're looking towards the Liffey. It has glazed models of all their dishes in the window.

Pretty sure you're talking about Hilan - it's Chinese/Korean and I'd recommend it.Can't say I've noticed the models though, so will have to keep an eye out the next time. It's north of the Luas as well if that makes any sense. Seems to get a fair amount of Orientals any time I've been there [which I would take as a positive sign] and the staff are pretty friendly. Was last in there on Sunday night and it was pretty busy and pretty tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

I can vouch for EATZEN in Ashbourne. Absolutely wonderful experience to eat there. The food and ambience is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

+1 for the Good house

Wongs is damn good too but pricey.

Best bang for the buck chinese in the city is definitely the Full House on Middle Abbey street (just below the Academy/Twisted Pepper). A mix of authentic and standard fare, but 9.90 for all you can eat and exceptionally good quality considering that its a buffet (and don't worry about the likes of Sczechuan Mussels and Malayasian Prawns or whatever; I always get the seafood there and its completely safe).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Hilan on Capel Street.. Always full of Chinese folk which is a good sign.. Not the fanciest place to dine but the food is great.. and very cheap..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Surprised no one has mentioned Jade on Little Mary St, off Capel St. It's there several years and has won a lot of awards. Always lots of chinese people. It's a bit dingy on the decor but the food is fantastic and prices are reasonable.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Gregor43

I really liked this place, Madina on Mary Street, nothing fancy but nice atmosphere friendly staff and a fine menu: www.ratemyarea.com/places/madina-desi-curry-12163

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

China Sichuan Restaurant in Stillorgan (not near town but worth a mention). Allegedly where staff from the Chinese embassy frequent. Tom Doorley says
    This restaurant is a milestone in the story of food in Ireland. Beat a path to its door and prepare to be seduced. But what it really deserves is adventurous palates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

Gregor43 wrote: »
    I really liked this place, Madina on Mary Street, nothing fancy but nice atmosphere friendly staff and a fine menu: www.ratemyarea.com/places/madina-desi-curry-12163

i was recomended this by an indian i got talking to, i've never gone but a friend told me its like a fast food indian place...judging by the price of the food i'd say it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Gregor43

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gregor43 View Post

i was recomended this by an indian i got talking to, i've never gone but a friend told me its like a fast food indian place...judging by the price of the food i'd say it is!

It's a bit like a fast food place in that there's a kind of deli counter in there, but the hot food is cooked properly not pre-made and it's good fare. It was full of indians when I was there and had banging bollywood tunes to boot, so wasn't lacking atmosphere. Think cheap authentic casual ethnic restaurant rather than fast food joint. And if that's your gig you'll love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Amalgam wrote: »

That's the Hilan, one of my favourites. I've put a review up on my blog.

I'm not mad on Madina - I liked it at first and ate there quite a few times, but lately I've gotten tired of having to scrape all the meat off the bones and then finding out I've only gotten a small amount of meat. I've never tried their kebabs, which look nice and there is a fantastic minced meat curry with peas.

Advertisement