Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling a Bathroom - Remore Toilet?

Options
  • 13-01-2009 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi

I am going to have a crack at tiling my bathroom however there is one thing I can't figure out.

I am going to screw down marine ply and tile on top of that

What I can't work out is what is the best way to deal with the toilet and sink.

Should I remove the toilet - if so how?

Should I tile around the toilet instead if so what is the best way to address that?

How do I deal with the stem of the sink, if I tile underneath it won't that raise the level of floor meaning the porcelain stem won't fit under the sink

Thanking you in advance

Blahboy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭*Derek*

You probally already know but most fixtures are put onto tiles nowaday. Also if your going down on timber you have to use flexible Adesive and grout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,035 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

blahboy wrote: »
    Hi

I am going to have a crack at tiling my bathroom however there is one thing I can't figure out.

I am going to screw down marine ply and tile on top of that

What I can't work out is what is the best way to deal with the toilet and sink.

Should I remove the toilet - if so how?

Should I tile around the toilet instead if so what is the best way to address that?

How do I deal with the stem of the sink, if I tile underneath it won't that raise the level of floor meaning the porcelain stem won't fit under the sink

Thanking you in advance

Blahboy

Good on ya ;) Give it a go. Its not rocket science, and if you are anyway handy and take your time, you could be very pleased with the result and save yourself a good few quid.

Ideally, if you can remove the toilet ( older typed are generally just screwed to the flood ) and have enough leeway on the waste outlet, then do so as it makes for a more professional finish. Be cautious as you will need maybe 15 - 20mm when you take into account the ply, grout bed and tile !

With the pedistal, again, if you have the luxury of being able to lift the wash hand basin by the same amount, then do so. Usually just 2 screws / bolts accessible from underneath. Redrill, replug and refit approx 15-20mm higher on the wall.

Best o' luck. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Removing the toilet bowl is generally easy enough, but putting it back several mills higher up might not be. Unless the outlet pipe connection is vertical (ie pipe goes down though the floor) and can be extended then the toilet U bend will no longer meet the outlet. Also, if the cistern is part of the toilet rather than completely separate, you will have to extend the filling pipe. Again, that's easy enough if you have a blowlamp and some solder fittings.

Raising the sink, as a previous poster said, is also not difficult, but you will again almost certainly have to extend the hot and cold water connections and the drain pipe. Staightforward enough if you have the means, equipment, and skill, but you really need to carefully size every job up carefully and make sure you have all of the necessary fittings etc to hand before you start:)

Advertisement