Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slightly unfair banning

Options
  • 13-01-2009 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys

I've been banned from PI based on the following.

I read a post on page 2 of the forum and "reply" commented on it, which led me to page 4 where I saw that a general warning had been issued about straying off-topic.

I started to edit the post to include some valid advice, but when I hit save I was told I didn't have permission; my PM panel then told me I had 2 new messages.

Given that the warning was on page 4 and I hadn't read that far, it's a little unfair.....valid to the precise letter of the law, but unfair - if I hadn't been banned so quickly after I'd seen the warning, my post would have been edited/removed by me.

Any chance of a reprieve ?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Hi guys

I've been banned from PI based on the following.

I read a post on page 2 of the forum and "reply" commented on it, which led me to page 4 where I saw that a general warning had been issued about straying off-topic.

I started to edit the post to include some valid advice, but when I hit save I was told I didn't have permission; my PM panel then told me I had 2 new messages.

Given that the warning was on page 4 and I hadn't read that far, it's a little unfair.....valid to the precise letter of the law, but unfair - if I hadn't been banned so quickly after I'd seen the warning, my post would have been edited/removed by me.

Any chance of a reprieve ?

Obligatory question , did you pm the mod? If this is going to be sorted out it should be done that way , unless they are being unfair but most are just, otherwise there decision is final .
    In that case learn from it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Why would you just jump in on page 2 and not read the whole thread? You run the risk of repeating something someone has already said and end up looking silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Kiera wrote: »
    Why would you just jump in on page 2 and not read the whole thread? You run the risk of repeating something someone has already said and end up looking silly.

In PI unless your a moronic robot there's a very good chance what you're about to say has not been said as they say the same fecking thing to every problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Obligatory question , did you pm the mod? If this is going to be sorted out it should be done that way , unless they are being unfair but most are just, otherwise there decision is final .
    In that case learn from it .

Yup, but no reply yet.

Like I said, I can see how it came about, but the 2 factors here are

1) I hadn't read the thread as far as the warning (and yes, the "learn from it" definitely applies in that regard)

2) I was actually correcting the issue when I was banned - 10 seconds later and it wouldn't have been an issue

Anyways, I'll leave it at this, because I don't want it to look like I'm going a roundabout way......hopefully the mod will come back to me - I forwarded the intended edited version of the post to them and asked them to decide whether the ban still applied.

Just if mods could bear in mind that while Kiera does have a point above, the above can happen and it's not necessarily the poster "ignoring" the mod instruction / warning; I hadn't seen it and as soon as I did I went to fix it.

Just sorry now that I didn't simply hit "delete" and do a complete repost :P

Fingers crossed, coz I'd like to think that 99% of my contributions to PI are helpful....

ntlbell wrote: »
    In PI unless your a moronic robot there's a very good chance what you're about to say has not been said as they say the same fecking thing to every problem.
    I'm sorry but i seem to have my stupid hat on? Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

I think the word "unfortunate" is more appropriate than "unfair" here, Liam.

How long ago did you PM the mod? You should really give them a good 24 hours to reply before posting a thread.

It is unfortunate, but it must ultimately be the poster's responsibility to see warnings. These kind of marginal cases can sometimes be dealt with in private (e.g. a mod saying "Okay, I see there's been a mis-understanding but let's keep it quiet because otherwise everyone will use that excuse.") so this goes refers back to my "unfortunate" rather than "unfair".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Yup, but no reply yet.

Like I said, I can see how it came about, but the 2 factors here are

1) I hadn't read the thread as far as the warning (and yes, the "learn from it" definitely applies in that regard)

2) I was actually correcting the issue when I was banned - 10 seconds later and it wouldn't have been an issue

Well You have to give it up to 24 hours and even then maybe give another one because they do have to go through a lot of stuff as you can imagine.

You know you were correcting it but there is really no proof as you didn't change it on time. In that case it is unfortunate but if everyone said that ,it could create a massive loophole and a lot of hassle for moderators. I would sit back and see what response you get.

I'm sorry but i seem to have my stupid hat on? Huh?

*pat pat*

is that your second pat today?

I think the word "unfortunate" is more appropriate than "unfair" here, Liam.

How long ago did you PM the mod? You should really give them a good 24 hours to reply before posting a thread.

It is unfortunate, but it must ultimately be the poster's responsibility to see warnings. These kind of marginal cases can sometimes be dealt with in private (e.g. a mod saying "Okay, I see there's been a mis-understanding but let's keep it quiet because otherwise everyone will use that excuse.") so this goes refers back to my "unfortunate" rather than "unfair".

Fair point. Feel free to delete this thread if you think that would apply in future, and I'll hang tough. I guess the initial quick action on the ban made me think they'd get back to me just as quickly, which is probably pushing it.

ntlbell wrote: »
    *pat pat*

is that your second pat today?
    That's some great feedback, ntbell. You're a credit to this forum!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Fair point. Feel free to delete this thread if you think that would apply in future, and I'll hang tough. I guess the initial quick action on the ban made me think they'd get back to me just as quickly, which is probably pushing it.

I don't know if that's directed at me or not, but I've absolutely no "power" here. That's just my interpretation of the situation.

That's some great feedback, ntbell. You're a credit to this forum!

Oh right.

Feedback.

Harsh.

You know you were correcting it but there is really no proof as you didn't change it on time.

Well, I pasted the intended content into the PM as soon as I got the "no permission" message and the PM, so that'd support that up to a point - I can't type THAT fast! :D
    In that case it is unfortunate but if everyone said that ,it could create a massive loophole and a lot of hassle for moderators. I would sit back and see what response you get.

Yup, can see that. And for the record this isn't meant to have a go at the mod or give them grief or go behind their back - they acted like they saw it.....they might have even logged off before getting my PM and I was basically wondering if someone else could override it if I explained it. In hindsight, probably not, considering they'd probably have to check with the mod rather than simply taking my word for it.

Look, I 100% accept that the word "unfortunate" probably describes it better; like I said above, it was "to the letter of the law", and "unfortunate timing" probably sums it up better (but I can't edit that either :P).

Will leave it 24 hours and see - and if anyone who does have "the power" here can delete this, fire away.....if the general thing is to wait 24 hours then fair enough and like I said I'm not out to cause grief over this or give anyone ideas for any future excuses (as mentioned above).

Thanks guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Just read the threads to the very end in future, Liam - sometimes it means wading through a fair bit (particularly that thread) but if you log out and have a look at it before your response, there was a load of crap and the moderators were no doubt getting frustrated. Yours was just yet another unhelpful, not useful remark in a long line of them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Even without warnings on the thread, your comment would have earned a ban.

If you read the charter in PI, off topic and unhelpful posting is not allowed. Warnings do not have to be posted in every thread for this to be the case.

You posted :
    :D ABSOLUTE GENIUS! LMAO!!! :D

This will earn you a ban from PI, whether there's previous warnings, no previous warnings, alien abduction, theft of account, whatever.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Thread closed on the grounds that whither you read the warning or not, that comment would have earned you a ban in PI.
    When your ban is up, please read the forum charter, off topic, unhelpful comments will always earn you a ban in PI.
    B

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement