Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New 09 Volkswagen

Options
  • 13-01-2009 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hi,

I was with a friend in a dealership today looking at a new 09 VW unregistered. Plenty of extras on it.

Now, having no trade in I would have expected the dealer to offer at least 10% off the list especially with new car sales as bad as they are at the moment. All they offered was 6%!

What are people getting out there at the moment? What would be a decent cash deal discount?

Note: There were 2219 vw passengar cars registered in the period 01 Jan 08 to 10 Jan 08 versus 632 for the same period this year. 71.5% difference!

Maybe I am being unrealistic looking for 10%???

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pureirish

Thanks NiSmO, Is 13% based on knowledge of the industry margins?

I was sure I got 8% - 10% on a new car even back when times were good in 2004. Must check the paperwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Avoid the dealers here, go to the uk, buy a vehicle over 6 month olds and save 33%.

I agree with that. Problem here is the particular model isn't out 6 months :)

pureirish wrote: »
    I agree with that. Problem here is the particular model isn't out 6 months :)

ohhh, i see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

You're going to have to tell us the model and list price.

Passat CC?

Scirocco, white, 19" wheels, black leather, 2.0 petrol, manual, multi function steering wheel. just over €40k

Plenty of room for movement on that as far as I can see.

Aye, but you see, that is brand new stock. And they might want to risk keeping it for another while. I'd say something if it was a car they had plenty of stock in. Plus, if they have the only one in the country with that spec, don't you think they are in a good position?

Scirocco, white, 19" wheels, black leather, 2.0 petrol, manual, multi function steering wheel. just over €40k

There's no room for movement as he's got you over a barrell and he knows it.You can't get one in the UK for another 6 months or so to import.
    You want, he has - thats the equation.

• Advertisement

I see your point there alright. With those extras there aren't a lot of them in the country. What makes you think it's the only one in the country? Do you know something I don't? :)

That said it's an easy deal for them either way and I don't believe 6% is as good as they could go.

The alternative is I wait 2 months and get one in the uk 6 months old for 30k or less (with vrt paid) with all the extras you could want. Same one here would cost you €45!

The alternative is I wait 2 months and get one in the uk 6 months old for 30k or less (with vrt paid) with all the extras you could want. Same one here would cost you €45!

Hmmm...2months.....10k in my pocket...Hmmmm...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Buy some bank shares (I hear they are a great investment) & wait for 6 months to get UK import. :p

Have you looked at price of buy new from the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

OP, ring EVERY VW main dealer in the country and give them the spec you are looking for. Tell them you are not trading. I guarantee you will find some garage that will have the equivalent of (at least) 10% off. When you get a good price, tell other garages and see what they think.

Either that or import in a few months.

Very jealous too btw. :p

As far as I'm aware if you buy in the uk new you have to pay Vat & VRT.

Car has to be over 6 months old and have over 6k km on the clock to avoid the vat.

I rang a couple today alright. Didn't get into money with them. One offered to fit leather to the car because the one he had didn't have it!!!

I rang a couple today alright. Didn't get into money with them. One offered to fit leather to the car because the one he had didn't have it!!!

Have had that done before, generally fantastic quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

As far as I'm aware if you buy in the uk new you have to pay Vat & VRT.

Car has to be over 6 months old and have over 6k km on the clock to avoid the vat.

Now sure of your exact spec model but rough calculation incl VRT & VAT comes in at 35k based on list price.

IMO 6% discount off 40k not good enough with no trade in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I don't even think there is 10% margin in a VW Scirocco (although I'm not a VW guy).

I think your expectations are too high.

Straight deal, no trade-in etc. makes no difference, the margin's the margin. No dealer will want to sell a Scirocco for a loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

trade in of 6 % ??

orice around, give him the choice... 12% at the very least or your gone like a bat out of hell.

Quite simple and effective.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

S.I.R wrote: »
    trade in of 6 % ??

orice around, give him the choice... 12% at the very least or your gone like a bat out of hell.

Quite simple and effective.

12% sounds very precise. What are you basing that on?

McSpud wrote: »
    Now sure of your exact spec model but rough calculation incl VRT & VAT comes in at 35k based on list price.

IMO 6% discount off 40k not good enough with no trade in.

I get:

€25k (sterling buy price converted to euro) less uk vat @13.5% plus Irish Vat @21.5% = €26,762 + €9010 VRT + €600 travel costs = €36,372

Not really worth it. You only really save when you go secondhand from the UK as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

Im think about a Scirroco as well 2.0L,white,dgs and 18" alloy .
    Reckon I can import for 32k.
    This is the UK gt spec with 18" alloys.alarm, magnetic dampers, a few little things(punture warning sensors etc) and a 3 year warrrainty.
    As opposed to standard chassis (magnetic dampers €1247), 17" alloys(18"= €611) and a 2 year warrainty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 8080

I'm surprised there's a Scirocco with 19" wheels in a dealers, the ones from the brochure are €1,800 extra.

Anyway, I'm looking to buy one too and I'm having no joy at all on the discount front. Presumably because I have a trade in (only €4,500 against €36,000 tho) and I want a special order (xenons, dsg etc).

If I could get 12% off a current stock Scirocco I'd ditch the extras and sell my own car privately. I didn't think I could get anywhere near that off

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

frag & 8080 - I notice you're both looking at DSG - good choice.

OP, I think this is one thing about your spec I would change. Come time to change (ignoring price), DSG will be much more attractive than manual. I dare say most sold in UK will be DSG. I know Porsche fully expect the majority of 997's to be DSG/PDK from now on, now that the performance exceeds that of a manual.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If you buy a car less than 6 months old in uk, you can buy it vat free once its for export. You just fill out a form at the dealer. You dont need to be vat registered. You then pay vat & vrt here.

frag4 wrote: »
    Im think about a Scirroco as well 2.0L,white,dgs and 18" alloy .
    Reckon I can import for 32k.
    This is the UK gt spec with 18" alloys.alarm, magnetic dampers, a few little things(punture warning sensors etc) and a 3 year warrrainty.
    As opposed to standard chassis (magnetic dampers €1247), 17" alloys(18"= €611) and a 2 year warrainty.

€32k new? Sounds good.

Are you sure it has the magnetic dampers? I know it has the comfort / sport switch alright but wasn't aware it had magnetic dampers. They cost a couple of grand on the TT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

12% sounds very precise. What are you basing that on?

+1

This kind of thought process frustrates me.

I was recently in the market for a Nintendo Wii. I could buy one in ROI for €260 or in NI for €185. That's a big % saving.
    It was then my choice whether to spend 4 hours in the car and save a good few quid, or stay local and pay more for the same thing (and support a local enterprise).

I would never in my wildest dreams think that it would be feasible to walk into Smyth's Toystore in Dublin and tell them that I had €185 in my pocket and if they didn't sell me the console for that much, that I'd walk and buy in NI.
    I'd also never presume that Smyth's Dublin was making €75 more profit per console than Smyth's Belfast. Simple competition would put paid to that.

Shop with your feet - that's fine, but if you expect you can negotiate with a local supplier based on a pricing structure in another territory or if you expect a local supplier to sell their product at a loss in order to compete with another territory, you're not being realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 8080

I get:

€25k (sterling buy price converted to euro) less uk vat @13.5% plus Irish Vat @21.5% = €26,762 + €9010 VRT + €600 travel costs = €36,372

Not really worth it. You only really save when you go secondhand from the UK as far as I can see.
    AFAIK getting an Irish car up to UK base spec costs in the region of €40,000, if you actually want the ACC, Upgraded Radio, Alarm, Climatronic etc.

I personally would pay €3,500 extra for the Irish car - the warranty and resale value on the UK would be a big concern for me

• Advertisement

8080 wrote: »
    I'm surprised there's a Scirocco with 19" wheels in a dealers, the ones from the brochure are €1,800 extra.

Anyway, I'm looking to buy one too and I'm having no joy at all on the discount front. Presumably because I have a trade in (only €4,500 against €36,000 tho) and I want a special order (xenons, dsg etc).

If I could get 12% off a current stock Scirocco I'd ditch the extras and sell my own car privately. I didn't think I could get anywhere near that off

I'll find out tomorrow when I drive it if it was 19"'s for sure. I didn't actually look at the tyres to see.

I can't see him going to 12%. I am thinking 8 - 9% absolute best.

Advertisement