Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New 09 Volkswagen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pureirish

galwaytt wrote: »
    frag & 8080 - I notice you're both looking at DSG - good choice.

OP, I think this is one thing about your spec I would change. Come time to change (ignoring price), DSG will be much more attractive than manual. I dare say most sold in UK will be DSG. I know Porsche fully expect the majority of 997's to be DSG/PDK from now on, now that the performance exceeds that of a manual.

Manual all the way I'm afraid. I want the full control no matter how good the DSG is. I drove a DSG GTI before and felt like I was playing a computer game instead of driving a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'd doubt there is a 10% margin on one, let alone 12%. A dealer wont sell a new car at a loss unless he's suicidal. I know i'd be sacked if i did.

But if you do manage to find a 12% discount, i'll buy two...;)

Being realistic about it, bear in mind it is a new model, not too many around, i'd say 6% is fair. Might budge for 7 or 8 at a push.

8080 wrote: »
    AFAIK getting an Irish car up to UK base spec costs in the region of €40,000, if you actually want the ACC, Upgraded Radio, Alarm, Climatronic etc.

I personally would pay €3,500 extra for the Irish car - the warranty and resale value on the UK would be a big concern for me

Yes, I agree. What you save now on a uk car I would imagine you will lose on resale.

mickdw wrote: »
    If you buy a car less than 6 months old in uk, you can buy it vat free once its for export. You just fill out a form at the dealer. You dont need to be vat registered. You then pay vat & vrt here.

Can you buy it vat free in the uk - store it until 6 months old over there - then bring it in vat free I wonder. I presume it has to be exported within a certain time frame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 8080

pureirish wrote: »
    Can you buy it vat free in the uk - store it until 6 months old over there - then bring it in vat free I wonder. I presume it has to be exported within a certain time frame?
    You have to have more than 6,000km up on it to be Vat exempt

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

NiSmO wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Did you just pull that figure out of your arse, or have you actually heard of dealers giving such discounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

€32k new? Sounds good.

Are you sure it has the magnetic dampers? I know it has the comfort / sport switch alright but wasn't aware it had magnetic dampers. They cost a couple of grand on the TT.

Just checked the UK site and the comfort/ sport switch is the magnetic dampers/ACC.

8080 wrote: »
    You have to have more than 6,000km up on it to be Vat exempt

OK, so what you are saying is as follows. I can buy a 5 month & 29 days old car with 6,000km on the clock vat free in the uk. Import it here at 6 months and only have to pay the vrt. :rolleyes:

frag4 wrote: »
    Just checked the UK site and the comfort/ sport switch is the magnetic dampers/ACC.

I must be losing it. I've gone through the whole uk site and the brochure and don't see magnetic dampers mentioned anywhere. I do see the Adaptive Chassis Control (is this the same thing?) though which seems standard on both GT and non GT models.

From the brochure:

To enhance your driving experience still further, the new Adaptive Chassis Control (ACC) lets you select Normal, Comfort or Sport setting, depending on the road conditions and driving style you require.

The new Adaptive Chassis Control (ACC) adapts the damping control and shock absorption rate to the road conditions and driving style you require, with a choice of Normal, Comfort or Sport settings.

I think VW's ACC uses valves which is different to the Audi Magnetic Ride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

2009 VW Scirocco Diesel 2 litre - 18,990 sterling... lets say you can get him down to about 18000 given the current market, maybe more if you could.

18000 - 15% = 15300

Convert to euro = 16813 x 21.5% vat = 20343 euro

VRT is 4500 = €24843 for a brand new one.

List price here is €30,920...

5,000 euro saving for going popping on a plane and driving a car back is quite a deal.

Yeah I guess it's not too bad going by those calculations. I mistakely used 13.5% instead of 15% for the uk vat rate with my calc's.

Do you need to pay any import duty or is that only if you import from outside of the EU?

DJ Hafez wrote: »
    2009 VW Scirocco Diesel 2 litre - 18,990 sterling... lets say you can get him down to about 18000 given the current market, maybe more if you could.

18000 - 15% = 15300

Convert to euro = 16813 x 21.5% vat = 20343 euro

VRT is 4500 = €24843 for a brand new one.

List price here is €30,920...

5,000 euro saving for going popping on a plane and driving a car back is quite a deal.
    The VRT on the Petrol is much more tho :(

Taking VRT as 28% of 92% of the Irish RRP:
    €34,980 x 0.28 x 0.92 = €9,011

the deseal is what his calutions are based on at 16% vrt

sorry didnt read that right

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

I have to say I find it funny what some of you think a recession does to list prices of new mass production cars.

12% off a VW priced from 35k?? The car is 35k!!!!

It's not going to be a major skin off the dealers whether you buy the car or not as it's new but to think you can expect that type of discount on a car for that price you're living in a dream world OP.

I'm looking at a 2007 Porsche at the moment and I'd barely expect 10% off to be honest.

MarkN wrote: »
    I have to say I find it funny what some of you think a recession does to list prices of new mass production cars.

12% off a VW priced from 35k?? The car is 35k!!!!

It's not going to be a major skin off the dealers whether you buy the car or not as it's new but to think you can expect that type of discount on a car for that price you're living in a dream world OP.

I'm looking at a 2007 Porsche at the moment and I'd barely expect 10% off to be honest.

MarkN if you read above I said "I can't see him going to 12%. I am thinking 8 - 9% absolute best." Someone else mentioned 12%. I don't believe 12% is achievable either.

However in my opinion if a dealer can offer you 6% straight off with no push whatsoever then they can go further.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

However in my opinion if a dealer can offer you 6% straight off with no push whatsoever then they can go further.

Consumers in Ireland have been ripped off for long enough. Its about time people started pushing retailers/dealerships for their absolute lowest price. As the OP says, they can give 6% off without a push, surely another 2 - 3 % is possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

OK, so what you are saying is as follows. I can buy a 5 month & 29 days old car with 6,000km on the clock vat free in the uk. Import it here at 6 months and only have to pay the vrt. :rolleyes:

Nope, VAT is charged at the invoice date not the paid date. Also charged at the Revenue rate of exchange on the date of the invoice, not the date of the payment.

MarkN if you read above I said "I can't see him going to 12%. I am thinking 8 - 9% absolute best." Someone else mentioned 12%. I don't believe 12% is achievable either.

I hear what you're saying but there is the chance that the sales person doesn't mess around and when you mentioned "cash" he went straight for his bottom line discount - which could be that 6%.

In my experience of buying new cars 6% is quite good.

You've got to remember while the price of the second hand market has stumbled a bit, new car list prices haven't.

Perhaps you should look at a demo model - more room for discount.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Hmmm...2months.....10k in my pocket...Hmmmm...:rolleyes:

Not like its much tbh... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Not a chance of getting 10% discount. The dealers margin is not that high even on the volume models (Passat, Golf). VW used to have over 10% margin before the Passat B7 was launched, since then margins are down for all manufacturers.

If the car is un-registered then it doesn't owe the dealer any money. Once it's registered the dealer would have to pay VW Ireland for the car and they aren't going to sell it to you for less than they have to pay VW.

6% on a Scirroco sounds pretty decent to me. I'm not aware of the exact margins, but based on what I've been buying VW's for for the past 3 years I doubt the dealer will be making much on that. By my rough calculations I'd say there is around €1,000 for the dealer in that deal.

Dealer offered me 8% off today and a proper 1 hour fast as you want test drive. To be fair to him it's a tempting deal and I believe he is genuinely giving about as good a discount as he can. Maybe a little more room for movement though :)

To answer someone else’s question, yes the wheels are 19".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Looks a small bit high, nothing a set of coil overs couldn't help:D

You know you want it, buy it already so we can be jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Looks a small bit high, nothing a set of coil overs couldn't help:D

You know you want it, buy it already so we can be jealous.
    I was thinking the exact same thing myself:D Tiny bit high,
    70386.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

I was thinking the exact same thing myself:D Tiny bit high,

Transport blocks could still be in.

Transport blocks could still be in.

19s too big on a car that size IMO.

I'd stay with 18s.

I like those wheels, just need to see them from a different angle. The collectors edition comes with polished Lugano wheels

http://no3scirocco.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Just did a bit of photoshoppin, does look well lowered, although not a fan of the wheels, maybe in real life they look better?
    my.php?image=scirocco1ux4.jpg
    scirocco1ux4.th.jpg

• Advertisement

The wheels aren't polished. Yes they are nicer looking in real life. Crap camera on my phone doesn't help.

Advertisement