Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M&M's - Why the apostrophe?

• 13-01-2009 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

After eating a whole large bag of crisply M&M's I was surveying my conquest and a thought struck me: Why the hell is there an apostrophe in the name? Surely there's no need for it. Unless they're saying that M and M own the contents of the bag???????????

Thoughts please........

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Unless they're saying that M and M own the contents of the bag
    Seems there are:

from wiki:
    Wiki wrote:
    Forrest Mars, Sr., founder of the Mars Company, got the idea for the confection in the 1930s during the Spanish Civil War when he saw soldiers eating Smarties, a chocolate morsel covered with a hard sugar shell so that the chocolate would not melt.

Mars received a patent for his own process on March 3, 1941. Production began in 1941 in a factory located at 285 Badger Avenue in Clinton Hill, Newark, New Jersey. One M was for Forrest, and the other M was for Bruce Murrie, son of long-term Hershey president William F.R. Murrie. Murrie had 20 percent interest in the product. The arrangement allowed the candies to be made with Hershey chocolate which had control of the rationed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%26M%27s

Enjoy your packet of Mars & Murrie's finest shell coated chocolates :)

Advertisement