Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All the info!!

• 13-01-2009 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Most posts are useful but I was looking for a little more personal info!

Right, my story:

I am 25 years old and my highest qualification is a City & Guilds in IT. I have been out of education for about 4 years now. I still live at home but would be classed as an independant mature student. The company I work for is closing my particular shop and I will be made redundant I believe. I do not have 2 years service (just under it!) and as such I am not entitled to statutory redundancy.

Now, here is my question, I have decided that now is the perfect time to return to college and will be undergoing a University course in Psychology starting this September. If I am made redundant but receive no redundancy pay, would I still qualify for the Back to Education allowance without having to receive the jobseekers allowance for 12 months (this is the SW's rule on BTE)?

The Back to Education allowance is payable to people who are receiving a social welfare payment for 12 months or more but you are exempt from this ''waiting period'' if you have had statutory redundancy, so do you need to receive money to be classed as redundant?

Also, I live with my mother but I personally work and last year earned around 34,000 which is what I would be assessed on for a maintainance grant, which would move me to level 2 on the grant scheme, is it possible as going under my mothers income to qualify for the grant or must I use my own as I am over 23?

I would appreciate as much info as possible and apologise for the length of my question.

Thanks

Comments

Heya BigCob!
    BigCOB wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Most posts are useful but I was looking for a little more personal info!

Right, my story:

I am 25 years old and my highest qualification is a City & Guilds in IT. I have been out of education for about 4 years now. I still live at home but would be classed as an independant mature student. The company I work for is closing my particular shop and I will be made redundant I believe. I do not have 2 years service (just under it!) and as such I am not entitled to statutory redundancy.

Sorry to hear about your job.
    Now, here is my question, I have decided that now is the perfect time to return to college and will be undergoing a University course in Psychology starting this September. If I am made redundant but receive no redundancy pay, would I still qualify for the Back to Education allowance without having to receive the jobseekers allowance for 12 months (this is the SW's rule on BTE)?

The Back to Education allowance is payable to people who are receiving a social welfare payment for 12 months or more but you are exempt from this ''waiting period'' if you have had statutory redundancy, so do you need to receive money to be classed as redundant?

I don't know much about the BTEA apart from what I have received from the links below (in my signature) so I don't know the particulars on it I'm afraid.
    Also, I live with my mother but I personally work and last year earned around 34,000 which is what I would be assessed on for a maintainance grant, which would move me to level 2 on the grant scheme, is it possible as going under my mothers income to qualify for the grant or must I use my own as I am over 23?

I would appreciate as much info as possible and apologise for the length of my question.

Thanks

The grant - if you would be going into a new course you would be assessed under a change in circumstances so your income would be effectively 0, but if you were living with your mother on the 1st October 2008 (which from above it sounds like you were) you would then be assessed on your own income PLUS your mother's income.

If you're over 23 you would be either a 'Mature Dependent' or a 'Mature Independent' candidate. So from what I said above you would be assessed on your income (effectively 0) and your mother's income for 2008. There are plans to change the assessment requirements for 2009/10 academic year but I haven't seen anything concrete yet.

Hopefully if you take your income as 0 (due to the change in circumstances thing you'd be applying under) you'd be under the income limits :)

Hope it all works out - if there's anything throw up another question and I'm sure someone will answer it.

Dónal

Advertisement