Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems with illness benefit.

• 13-01-2009 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Im having problems trying to get illness benefit. I was diagnosed with cancer before christmas and i start chemotherapy this thursday. Obviously I will be unable to work during treatment. I stopped working and made a claim on the 23rd of Dec so that i could get one in before the new year when the rules changed to 104 contributions in total.

Heres a breakdown of my stamps (Im 19)
    2005 - 0
    2006 - 17
    2007 - 22
    2008 - 50

The 4 conditions are
    1. At least 52 contributions, i have 89
    2. 39 in 2006, no luck there
    3. 13 in 2006, i have 17
    4. If you dont have condition no. 2, have 26 contributions made in 2006 and 2005, no luck there either.

Basically I got a letter saying I wasn't entitled to benefit. Which is fair enough because I dont meet requirements 2 and 4 but surely I must be entitled to SOMETHING since Ive made 90 contributions.

Does it make a difference that ive been a full time student thoughout my entire time working? Obviously Ive had to leave college now.

Im going to the community welfare officer tomorrow but i understand that he's part of the HSE and not the social welfare.

I know i have really asked any questions but i guess im just crying out for advise from someone in the know.

Cheers
    Steve

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I can't advise on the illness benefit but you should be entitled to a medical card, that would cut out some of the expenses involved in your illness :(

I hope you have a quick recovery. This is a bummer situation, don't let it get you down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

thanks IsThatSo? and cheers for the well wishes. I kinda knew about the medical card thing already, though its not a major concern for me as pretty much everything ive had so far has been paid by VHI (almost €8000 worth of tests). Hopefully the community welfare officer will be able to tell me what to do. Anyone else have any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

You need 104 cons which you don't have.
    It was changed recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 very miffed dub

A few points:

1. When did you start work? I'm assuming it was 2006. If yes, you could be entitled to pre-entry credits. http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW12/Pages/4_CanIqualifyforpreentrycredits.aspx These can help you qualify for Benefits.

2. Your 2008 contributions would not show up on the social welfare system yet. Send in a copy of your P45 (if you have one) or a letter from your employer stating your PRSI contributions for 2008.

3. As you made your claim before the new rule came in, I think the 52 week requirement would apply.

4. If you still don't qualify for Illness Benefit, apply for Disability Allowance. http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/SW29/Pages/1WhatisDisabilityAllowance.aspx. This is means tested.

5. Apply for Supplementary Welfare Allowance while your claim is being processed.

Hope this helps and good luck with the treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Thanks very much Very Miffed Dub. I applied for Disability allowance today. Hopefully should get that. If its means tested by me then i should get it since ive no source of income but as im living with my parents im afraid that they will be taken into account. eep, just have to wait and see i guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

if you dont have enough cons for illness benefit ,the community welfare officer will pay you supplementry welfare allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

Something else to look into is the Invalidity Pension (really badly named imo).

Advertisement