Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job situation for WHVers in Sydney

Options
  • 13-01-2009 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

I'm planning to go to Sydney in June for a year with my girlfriend. She's a recently qualified chef and I'm usually working in admin or customer service/call centres. How's the job situation over there? I hear it's getting a little tight and am concerned that we might not get a job at all and end up spending all our savings just to survive.I suspect that as the ecomony slides further us foreigners will be shut out of the job market until it picks up again.

Fruit picking etc isn't an option because we're not going backpacking.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

hmmm coming to Sydney for a year to do the exact same jobs you do at home, kind of baffling...

Anyway - yeah chefs are in demand everywhere in the world AFAIK, and generally people can't stand customer service jobs for more than a couple of months so the turnaround is immense. I reckon in those fields in a big city like Sydney you'll have no problem getting some kind of work, but just like everywhere else in the world, it's slowing down a lot here too.

Advertisement