Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Dunnes Stores closing?

Options
  • 13-01-2009 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Or being taken over by Asda? Every time I go in, the clothes section looks emptier. The word on the street is that Asda is just buying the Dunnes branch in Cavan - not the whole Dunnes group.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Gadjodilo wrote: »
    Or being taken over by Asda? Every time I go in, the clothes section looks emptier. The word on the street is that Asda is just buying the Dunnes branch in Cavan - not the whole Dunnes group.

They have started to bring in new clothes now but only over the last few days which is a long time since Christmas week.

Didn't hear anything about Asda moving to Cavan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Sure the sales were on - they get rid of all the sh ite clothes that nobody bought during the year....

It looked emptier cos people bought the hideous clothes cos they were a "bargain"

I dont think ASDA are taking over Cavan Dunnes though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Gadjodilo

Saibh wrote: »
    They have started to bring in new clothes now but only over the last few days which is a long time since Christmas week.

Didn't hear anything about Asda moving to Cavan.

One girl I know who used to work there said loads of people were let go after Christmas. She'd also heard something about the Asda takeover. I hope they're not taken over. At least they're Irish - we have enough British shops in Cavan already.....;)

dlambirl wrote: »
    Sure the sales were on - they get rid of all the sh ite clothes that nobody bought during the year....

It looked emptier cos people bought the hideous clothes cos they were a "bargain"

Yeah, but are they doing so well, they can afford to leave a big chunk of floor space empty? Should they not be restocking as soon as something sells out? People are reluctant enough as it is to spend money. A half empty shop won't encourage them to get out the yoo-roes.

Well fingers crosses ASDA does come.......

Bargains for us and more business for the town but i doubt there would be enough car parking spaces in the underground car park if they give near enough the same value as the ASDA's in the north!!

• Advertisement

dlambirl wrote: »
    Well fingers crosses ASDA does come.......

Bargains for us and more business for the town but i doubt there would be enough car parking spaces in the underground car park if they give near enough the same value as the ASDA's in the north!!

Well, we all thought that Tesco would give good value when they took over Quinnsworth. Now they're among the worst offenders for overcharging. One example: they were selling wee cartons of natural yoghurt late last year for 89c. Now they're €1.09. Same brand, same size (Tesco Greek style yoghurt, 200g pack).

I only buy them because the packs are resealable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Given Cavan's proximity to Enniskillen, I would be surprised if this branch was targeted by ASDA. They already get half the county into their store, so why not go for somewhere a bit further afield?

I suppose on the plus side for them, the logistics of delivering to Enniskillen and then onto Cavan would be easier than, say, having to head to Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

One girl I know who used to work there said loads of people were let go after Christmas. She'd also heard something about the Asda takeover. I hope they're not taken over. At least they're Irish - we have enough British shops in Cavan already.....;)
    asda is only a british branch of walmart[amercian] the last imformation was that walmart are trying to sell off all there overseas stores, time will tell [my wife works for asda]

It was speculated at the beginning of september or October that ASDA were looking into buying out Dunnes. It never materialised and i dont think this will. Why would they buy one shop?? Would they not be more inclined to build a shop on the outskirts of town??

Given today's news about Superquinn in Dundalk, being taken over by ASDA might be the least of Dunnes' concerns!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Given Cavan's proximity to Enniskillen, I would be surprised if this branch was targeted by ASDA. They already get half the county into their store, so why not go for somewhere a bit further afield?

I suppose on the plus side for them, the logistics of delivering to Enniskillen and then onto Cavan would be easier than, say, having to head to Kildare.

Aren't the supply chains seperate north and south? I'm not sure exactly why this is but I thought it wasn't as simple as geography.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Given today's news about Superquinn in Dundalk, being taken over by ASDA might be the least of Dunnes' concerns!

Heard the headlines on TV. Wonder will Dunnes or Tesco follow them in laying off people.
    Richard wrote: »
    Aren't the supply chains seperate north and south? I'm not sure exactly why this is but I thought it wasn't as simple as geography.

Have Asda stores in the south?

Saibh wrote: »
    Have Asda stores in the south?

Nope, so not sure where the comment about separate supply chains comes from? Maybe Dunnes have, but we're talking ASDA here.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

I have been told by a reliable source that Dunnes Stores in Monaghan is closing in 3 weeks, so Cavan could be next....

• Registered Users Posts: 26 aghost

The rumour I heard was Dunnes are being taken over by Aldi not asda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 eon58

the reason the clothes department looks empty is because asda are already bringing in their own brand of st george..My wife works in dunnes and she was telling me this over the weekend.She said they got a delivery of stock for the drapery last week and it was all the st george brand and this also happend at at least 1 more store in cork....and 1 in tralee...It looks as tho they are moving into the drapery for the time being and who knows when they will take over the groceries

So why is this not hitting the media then? It's not as if it needs to be a top secret operation. The Aldi thing makes more sense. They've had their eye on Cavan for a long while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭celt262

I know people who work in Dunnes and they had the ASDA rumour before Christmas but no nothing about ALDI.

ALDI have planning permission in where Homemakers was. I seen on some thread maybe it was this one that Dunnes in Monaghan is closing in 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭destroyer

Its not just Cavan,ita all over. Big new Dunnes in Longford is practically
    empty since Christmas. Same everywhere.

Something is happening ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭KIVES

Yea - even last Summer there were rumours and innuendo's flying round amongst the workers themselves - lay off's, three day weeks etc...definitely didn't need to be a cousin of George Lee to make a prediction of immending closure or change of ownership - I was talking to a manager in Dunnes in Cavan way back in July and he was doing his weekly shop in Asda in Enniskillen - said he'd took to bringing a flask of tea and a couple of scones and cheese sandwiches such were the tail backs heading to said store...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Bonnylass

Well folks not sure bout Dunnes in Cavan, but staff in both Letterkenny stores have been offered voluntary redundancies :confused: Apparently most border stores will be offered the same :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 patriciaconnell

i am from Cavan too and i have also heard that rumour also.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

muincav wrote: »
    I have been told by a reliable source that Dunnes Stores in Monaghan is closing in 3 weeks, so Cavan could be next....

Its still open!!!!
    Source wasn't reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭muincav

Mylow wrote: »
    Its still open!!!!
    Source wasn't reliable.

No,,,,just their timing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

there is definitely something going on , two HUGE stores closed on the same day in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 upnaas

Irish times no longer suppling their newspapers into Any dunnes stores. Dunnes not paying their bills. Reckon Asda have put in an offer. Watch this space!

They seem to be very short-staffed. Long queues at the checkouts and any time I go in now, I have to go and find a basket for myself. They're never over beside the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭dbyrne

papers and dunnes is to do with some new computer system that dunnes want them to pay for.... bit wierd. most stock that goes through north goes through dublin port, part of the agreement woth the north is that they cannot charge shops, supermarkets or wholesalers more for suppling the north than mainland uk, even though it costs alot more to deliver to the north.
    IKEA belfast is the warehouse for IKEA dublin because they wanted to make sure that they used every bit of selling space they could. Trucks will bring stock from the north to dublin every night for the next days business.
    dunnes will be part of asda or asda will enter alone.
    if i were asda i would buy 2 sites, 1 in south dublin and 1 in north dublin, and all i would do is cut the living hell out of the market, make no money and use the UK profits to prop up the company. then go into cork, limerick, galway, tipperary, athlone etc and do the same. they say ASDA and Sainsburys control 2.5% of the grocery market without even being in the country, upto about 1 year ago the papers said the aldi/lidl together had about 5% and that was with about 5 stores between them.
    within 2 years superquinn qould probably close/sell, a few supervalues wiuld probably follow suit and then dunnes might just get the hell out as they wouldnt be able to compete.

In there at 4 o'clock today and there were only 2 tills open as well as the express checkout. Queues of 4 trolleys waiting at each of the tills. I was glad I only had a few things to get. I wonder how many tills were open in Enniskillen ASDA at the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

The Customer Service in the Dunnes in Cavan town is for the most part appalling.

I would be in there about 4 times a week. I usually pop in to get a pint of milk after going to the gym (have to keep the protein intake up :D ) and I would usually go to the customer service desk where customers are only meant to have 4 items or less. There is always a q there and there are always people with tons of stuff in their basket.

The staff are always talking amongst themselves and it is like the customer is an inconvenience. The last time I was in there I q'd at one of the regular checkouts as there was a lot of people at the customer service checkout and the 10 items or less checkout. Anyway the woman was was being served at my checkout was a staff member. She spent 5 minutes talking to the girl at the checkout and then decided to pack her bags and pay for her stuff.

I was so annoyed at the rudeness. I told the 2 of them that if they treat customers like that it is no wonder so many people are going up to Enniskillen. Thank god for the new Super Valu. Great bargains and pleasant stafff.

Advertisement