Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saab - First casualty of financial crisis?

Options
  • 13-01-2009 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Things are looking ominous for Saab. Compare GMs management of Saab with Fords tenure of Volvo. Volvo is still a strong brand with good product and some tantilising future models. Saab is foooooked...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/236904/

General Motors product boss Bob Lutz has signalled that Saab's future is under threat, despite a fondness for the brand among the top brass.

"Saab is a luxury that we can no longer afford," said Lutz.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Sure they are all under pressure, Honda, Nissan, Jag - the lot.

Even JCB the digger makers are in the sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Practically all of the brands imported ti Ireland by the OHM Group are performing alarmingly badly. I've heard rumours of job losses there. Worrying times indeed.

Even JCB the digger makers are in the sh1t.

At least they've the equipment to dig themselves out* :D

*Gets coat. Leaves.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'd have thought the staff let go would be the first casualties of the financial crisis?

But yeah, Saab are f*cked big time. Why would you buy a 93 when you could have an A4 or 320d or anything else for that matter?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Why would you buy a 93 when you could have an A4 or 320d or anything else for that matter?!

I can think of one: price.

Actually, two: nicer specs, too

Next ? ;)

btw, have done the 320d thing already.....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

You could have an Audi A4 for the same money. Could have an X Type for a lot less. Granted that's still be sh*te, but it'd be a cheaper piece of sh*te.. And Nicer too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I'd really hate to see Saab go under, having owned one they really are bloody great cars, very underrated. :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I never seen Saab really competing with the likes of BMW, MB, Audi or Lexus. I seen them a step below that level, competing with the likes of Volvo, Alfa Romeo and Jaguar.

I also think Saab have been mismanaged and neglected under GM ownership. Hopefully they will survive but not under GM ownership.

hold on, you said A4 and 320d. Both have ****e paddy specs, and no, you will always buy a Saab cheaper than a VAG car. Sad, but true.

Now, if you're adding an X-type...........ithat'd be nicer than a 320, but I digress.........I'll see your X-type and raise you.......C5 :D

Call.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

In my opinion, Saab have been borderline for a long, long time. They've always had a very limited model range and little apparent engineering ability, apart from some brief success with turbocharging in the early '80s - and even that on a Triumph Dolomite engine. Their main achievement after that the 9000 - a collaboration with Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia :eek:. Volvo have always been way ahead of them in terms of innovation, quality, safety and over engineering as evidenced by the interstellar mileage regularly achieved on many of their models. The big difference between the two in recent times is that Volvo have regularly turned a profit for Ford whereas Saab have always lost money for GM.

Realistically, as the OP says, Saab have no future as things stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Meh, modern Saab's are just based on Vectra's and other GM rubbish.

The days of the superb build quality and looks of the original 900 Turbo are long gone unfortunately. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The Swedish government won't let SAAB go under. Way too much brand significance to the homeland. There are reports all over the internet about how the government is in talks to aid the brand.

SAAB have a long and prestigious past, they will be around for a long time yet. Let's hope GM get their paws off them though.

245 wrote: »
    ...little apparent engineering ability, apart from some brief success with turbocharging in the early '80s - and even that on a Triumph Dolomite engine. Their main achievement after that the 9000 - a collaboration with Alfa Romeo, Fiat and Lancia :eek:.
    considering that Fiat invented the common rail diesel, Lancia the V4 and V6 engine format, Lancia independant front suspension, that's more than a bit wide of the mark. Saab are the recognised pioneers and refiners of turbocharging, per se, and, in the safety category, are recognised as having the best ergonomic cabin and seats, bar none. Not exactly stuff to ignore, really......
    Volvo have always been way ahead of them in terms of innovation, quality, safety and over engineering as evidenced by the interstellar mileage regularly achieved on many of their models.
    inventing Very Large Bumpers, and Lap and Diagonal Belts, whilst buying engines from Renault, or Audi, is hardly innovation.
    The big difference between the two in recent times is that Volvo have regularly turned a profit for Ford whereas Saab have always lost money for GM.
    Quite possibly yes. Or, GM have always lost money, and brought Saab down with it. That, and the fact that a big selling Volvo is, in fact, a Focus. So, who 'innovated' that, then ?

btw, like S80's and C70's :) esp, D5

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bayan

Quite right Max Damage. Saabs used to be something really special, they're nothing more than barely glorified Vectras now. Big pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

You could have an Audi A4 for the same money. Could have an X Type for a lot less. Granted that's still be sh*te, but it'd be a cheaper piece of sh*te.. And Nicer too.

Audis, driven by cocks as stated by James May on Top Gear regularly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

bazz26 wrote: »
    I never seen Saab really competing with the likes of BMW, MB, Audi or Lexus. I seen them a step below that level, competing with the likes of Volvo, Alfa Romeo and Jaguar.

Funny you should say that. I would see Jaguar as class above the likes of BMW and Audi and maybe on a par with Mercedes-Benz. They, just like SAAB, were put through years of mismanagement and underinvestment.

I don't think SAAB were destined to end up like this. They could've been so much more if GM expanded the range a little and didn't dilute the brand so much. They really are the worst case I have ever seen of a premium brand being swallowed up by an automotive giant and bastardised of all it's roots.

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Didn't Saab have military stuff to their name? Was it the same company? I remember one of the stranger Matchbox models, the Saab Viggen.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

With property in the toilet it hurts the Saab core architect market badly! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Audis, driven by cocks as stated by James May on Top Gear regularly

Yeah, the TG guys said that last series and they have some nerve...They are the ones who deified the RS4 a couple of years ago and said the M3 was for cocks.:rolleyes:

As for Saab - it's a waste. Forget current products, in 'morketing' terms the Saab brand is ideal for the times - it's always been the non-capitalist-pig prestige brand. And hardcore right-wing capitalism is sooooo 2005 these days;)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

galwaytt wrote: »

Nah.....

Your typical 200 or 700 series of that time would've body rolled too much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

the Saab Viggen

Yep, the aeronautical arm of the company design and build fighters for the Swedish Airforce. Stunning aircraft, highly innovative.

0372279.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

Saab was originally an aeroplane company established by the Swedish Govt during WWII and it switched to making cars after the end of the war - the Saab Viggen (car) is named after the Saab plane of the same name. They're separate companies now, as is scania.

There has been a long-running discussion of all this and the impact of GM ownership on Saab on www.trollhattansaab.net which i read religiously. It's interesting to read swedish people on the blog (run by a guy from tasmania by the way) saying how Saab was never meant to be an executive car to compete with the germans and how GM was foolish to chase that market. By and large Saabs are seen in their own country as representing several swedish values: form driven by function; reliability (hit and miss under GM); engineering excellence; and general affordability.

I think the Saab 900 sums up what the company should return to: drivers cars that are quirky with a specific philosophy (turbo, hatchback, safety - Saab has more safety patents than Volvo - and a car that's good for 200,000 miles +).

The swedish Govt will probably do enough to keep the company going until it finds a buyer, which could be (a) a very long time or (b) some chinese company.

Meanwhile, Saab deathwatch continues . . .

Happier times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5R0XnM98LU

. . . which top gear ripped off for its live show

Class !

How's this for quirky !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXVRdSbKDT8

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Class !

How's this for quirky !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXVRdSbKDT8

A recent article on Practical Classics said the Saab 96 had an engine which converts petrol into noise rather than forward motion! :)

Haha - "Sorry Guard he came up behind me in his Saab 96 and I just never heard him"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

considering that Fiat invented the common rail diesel, Lancia the V4 and V6 engine format, Lancia independant front suspension, that's more than a bit wide of the mark. Saab are the recognised pioneers and refiners of turbocharging, per se, and, in the safety category, are recognised as having the best ergonomic cabin and seats, bar none. Not exactly stuff to ignore, really......

inventing Very Large Bumpers, and Lap and Diagonal Belts, whilst buying engines from Renault, or Audi, is hardly innovation.

Quite possibly yes. Or, GM have always lost money, and brought Saab down with it. That, and the fact that a big selling Volvo is, in fact, a Focus. So, who 'innovated' that, then ?

btw, like S80's and C70's :) esp, D5

I'm not dissing Lancia's and Fiat's other innovations - I'm not ignoring Saab's achievements either. My point was that the 9000 etc wasn't noted for anything in particular, except, perhaps, galvanisation. Lancia, Alfa and Fiat weren't exactly prestigious brands in the '80's in terms or build quality or engineering excellence.
    In terms of innovation, Saab are noted for standard headrests, the wastegate, the pollen filter, headlamp wipers and washers. Volvo's own engines are renowned for covering extremely high mileages between rebuilds.

Volvo also innovated on 'insignificant' things like crumple zones, laminated windscreens, windscreen demisters and washers, child seats, 2 and 3 point seat belts, padded dashboards, anti-burst door locks, inertia reel seat belts, childproof locks, collapsible steering column technology, safety booster cushions, anti-submarining seats etc.

No doubt you like Saabs. I like Volvos and rate them as being better than Saabs. I own two Volvos, one is 42 years old, the other 32 years old. in terms of engineering quality and design, they're way ahead of Saabs of similar vintage. My point is that Volvo has a superior engineering heritage. I take your point as regards the S40. I've a bias towards the older Volvos from the time that they were independent but if you were to bring it to modern terms I don't think much of Saabs current styling direction (Dame Edna has sprung to mind, and the back lights of the 9-5 look very odd).

Its worth noting that Volvo's jet engines powered many of Saab's planes.

Volvo were profitable when Ford bought them and remained so over much of Fords tenure. Saab were losing money when GM bought them and nothing has changed.

Bottom line is that a betting man would be more likely to see a future for Volvo over Saab

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Accordingly the Finnish media, Swedish government has no plan to save either Saab or Volvo.

That was the message from Swedish politicians to GM when they met.

So I think it is really bad news for Saab, they haven"t made any profit since 1995 anyway, so I cannot see how they could keep the company in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

itarumaa wrote: »
    Accordingly the Finnish media, Swedish government has no plan to save either Saab or Volvo.

That was the message from Swedish politicians to GM when they met.

So I think it is really bad news for Saab, they haven"t made any profit since 1995 anyway, so I cannot see how they could keep the company in place.

Sad news for employees. There was a time when SAAB did bring variety to the marketplace with its models - now, its just bland euroboxes on GM chassis's powered by GM engines.......Boring.
    Will we really really miss them as cars? For me, not really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sad news for employees. There was a time when SAAB did bring variety to the marketplace with its models - now, its just bland euroboxes on GM chassis's powered by GM engines.......Boring.
    Will we really really miss them as cars? For me, not really.

Personally, I'll miss them for what they were - not what they've become in recent years.

Advertisement