Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saab - First casualty of financial crisis?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

One thing Volvo got right was the styling. There must have been a huge crisis of confidence when the 'boxy' design theme ran it's course. They hired a British designer (Peter Hornby?) who introduced the current 'shouldered' look. It could be argued that Volvo have relied too heavily on this and that all Volvos of the last decade or so look very similar but the forthcoming 3-series-sized S60 looks very promising (even without the motorshow glitz)
    http://motoring.sky.com/news/galleries/detroit-motor-show-volvo-s60-concept.aspx

OK so the S40 is a re-bodied Focus but luckily the Ford is an excellent base - unlike the GM platforms Saab has been saddled with.

Who knows - maybe if Saab manage to survive and make a break from GM it could be a good thing. If a new owner steps in they are unlikely to do any worse than GM (grasping at straws).

Thing is a modern interpretation of the old 900 could be so right for the times we live in - a practical, sensible, durable, charasmatic, prestige option without the grasping me-dickhead image some of the Germans have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

galwaytt wrote: »
    hold on, you said A4 and 320d. Both have ****e paddy specs, and no, you will always buy a Saab cheaper than a VAG car. Sad, but true.

Now, if you're adding an X-type...........ithat'd be nicer than a 320, but I digress.........I'll see your X-type and raise you.......C5 :D

Call.

Oh god i hope thats sarcasm....:eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

galwaytt wrote: »
    hold on, you said A4 and 320d. Both have ****e paddy specs, and no, you will always buy a Saab cheaper than a VAG car. Sad, but true.

Now, if you're adding an X-type...........ithat'd be nicer than a 320, but I digress.........I'll see your X-type and raise you.......C5 :D

Call.

Sorry Galwaytt, I know you helped me with opinions when i was looking to buy a new car, but you're wrong here. I could get the brand new A4 cheaper than a 9-3 Linear Sport, and with a great spec. I could have had an X-Type for €33K.....would be @28K now!!!!!!

Good news for you Saab lovers - the 93 diesel has been reduced by between 5 and 7k. Now it might be a bit more affordable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Good news for you Saab lovers - the 93 diesel has been reduced by between 5 and 7k. Now it might be a bit more affordable..

and the bad news is the second you screw 09' plates on it, the price will reduce by 12k + ....!:eek:

• Advertisement

Absolutely... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

I think you should all buy Saabs so i can get them from you second hand for half nothing in three years' time. Otherwise it's going to be impossible to find a 09 Saab second hand.

Or you could just buy a new one now, and save yourself the hassle of buying one in three years time.... You'll already have a 09 then!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

An interesting read about SAABs depreciation.
    Mind it's from 2006 but still.
    NB: check the comments.

Saab%20Depreciation%20copy-thumb.jpg
    The 9-3 Vector Sport is remarkably similar to the other models examined. It’s still at the bottom of the group - the Saab retains 40.17% of it’s value after 4 years, the Audi 43.95%, the Bimmer 41.96% and the Merc 44.97% - but it’s nowhere near as far off as I thought it would be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I didn't go for a Saab myself, but to be honest depreciation wouldn't have mattered over 5/6 years anyway. None of us can tell if John Gormless will pull another stroke tomorrow to completely decimate the car market.

• Advertisement

It'l go something like " if you dont have an electric car, you have to pay an extra 10k a year for killing a polar bear".

Maybe not dead yet - from Detroit Free Press via trollhattansaab:

Saab Automobile, the 61-year-old Swedish carmaker owned by General Motors Corp., will survive an industry slump if it sells attractive models, Sweden’s government said, defying GM’s view that Saab is artificially kept alive.

Saab, based in Trollhattan, Sweden, needs “good model programs,” Joeran Haegglund, state secretary in the Swedish industry ministry, told journalists from Detroit, where he spent the last days in talks with auto executives. Saab also needs to gain more independence from GM to be granted Swedish government guarantees for loans, Haegglund said.

“At the moment I don’t have any other belief” other than that Saab will still exist in Sweden in a few years, Haegglund said. “Compared to the situation last year, the vehicle industry will be smaller, but more economic and more successful.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Would be sorry to see them go. Before GM they were quirky and interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Actually, the car market has probably gone too far with samey samey stuff.

I don't care what people say, there is no appreciable difference between a C5, 3 series, mondeo, 5 series, Saab 9-3, Mercedes C Class or anything anymore.

Compared to say the Mercedes 190E, Saab 900, Ford Sierra, or Citroen CX/GS... or even interesting stuff from Tatra, NSU, Auto Union, or VW that was once produced.

Once Saab ditched the hatchback and switched to saloons to win over the US market it was on its way to blandsville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

pburns wrote: »
    One thing Volvo got right was the styling. There must have been a huge crisis of confidence when the 'boxy' design theme ran it's course. They hired a British designer (Peter Hornby?) who introduced the current 'shouldered' look. It could be argued that Volvo have relied too heavily on this and that all Volvos of the last decade or so look very similar but the forthcoming 3-series-sized S60 looks very promising (even without the motorshow glitz)
    http://motoring.sky.com/news/galleries/detroit-motor-show-volvo-s60-concept.aspx

The guy you're talking about is Peter Horbury, who arrived in 1991 and replaced Jan Wilsgaard as head of design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Once Saab ditched the hatchback and switched to saloons to win over the US market it was on its way to blandsville.

Thats focus groups for ya!

Saab needs to get back to making cars like these (review from 'old' Top Gear)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOX0pmQk3n0

Advertisement