Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springsteen new album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My thoughts exactly! Although last year, ticketmaster had a stand set up with tickets on sale for the friday night...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    various springsteen forums - Greasylake/BTX/SPL

July 12 at the RDS is now the likeliest with additions as last year.

Well - one day out, what ya gonna do.

There are 4 days booked in the RDS, but I think it'll be two in the end, 11 and 12, recession stops date 3.

Book Bewleys Hotel now - I did :D

This album is Springsteen at his best - listen once and you've wasted your money.

It's not Darkness at the Edge of Town, but then nothing else is. Listen a few times then judge.

I feel time running out already, I hate that feeling. I have to convince Mam and Dad big time between now and Friday and to book Bewleys too. I'm gonna be pushing the bday factor big time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

This album is Springsteen at his best - listen once and you've wasted your money.

It's not Darkness at the Edge of Town, but then nothing else is. Listen a few times then judge.

It's a real grower. Didn't have the immediate impact that Magic had but am really getting to like it now. Kingdom of Days and The Last Carnival are superb.

Its not Greetings, Wild, Born etc, but that is Bruce. A critic said about an album by a band who were Bruce influenced (I can't remember who it was) was that they should not be trying to recreate Bruce. He added that the genius of Bruce is that he has never tried to recreate Born to Run.

The time he starts becoming predictable is when I stop listening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭shakespeare

heres my take on it after a few listens...

think "what love can do" is a fine song. its a new sort of rock song for bruce, kinda radio knowhere-ish in the sense that its not really epic or overdone and more contemporary(not usually a good thing imo)...short, sharp...just bursts in and ends...really love it...

others that im going back to are the wrestler...(just fine simple songwriting, kind reminds me of the hitter from d&d) and life itself, which just rolls fantastically...love the way the lyrics are falling all through the album.

only a few listens in and its growing...

cant wait for July! (hope we get a summer for it!)

I got the album yesterday...

Shakespeare: Life Itself is a brilliant song, so is Surprise, Surprise and Tomorrow NEver Knows.
    I think it's still gonna take a couple of more listens to completely embrace the whole album...

Can't wait to get my tickets on Friday...

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

I started listening to Bruce recently with all the recent hype about the new album. I have started off with The Rising because i heard that it is quite different to say for example his most popular rock stuff from the 80s Born in the USA and stuff.

I like it alot, my favourite songs so far would be Into the Fire, Nothing Man, The Rising and the best i think would be Paradise. What album should i go for next do you think?

Chumpski wrote: »
    I started listening to Bruce recently with all the recent hype about the new album. I have started off with The Rising because i heard that it is quite different to say for example his most popular rock stuff from the 80s Born in the USA and stuff.

I like it alot, my favourite songs so far would be Into the Fire, Nothing Man, The Rising and the best i think would be Paradise. What album should i go for next do you think?

Try the best: Darkness on the Edge of Town

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Welcome new fan. :)

I love Born to Run. Few classics on that. ;)

• Advertisement

Welcome along.

Though I wouldn't consider it to be anywhere near his best album, I would recommend 'The River' simply because it shows many different sides of Bruce.

Also, if you like Paradise, you would probably like the 'Nebraska' album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭shakespeare

not to start a "favorite springsteen album" thread or anything...

but for me "Asbury" and " E street shuffle" are just untouchable...people dont rate them as much cause of un-refined songwriting and rambling verse's, not enough focus and all that lark...but i think they are quite simply amazing...in production and performance and most of all lyrically...just pure, un-effected, brilliance imo.

Mary Queen of Arkinsas, Growing up, incident on 57th, new york city serenade (never mentioned...so underatted)

in For You..."born with the power of a locomotive, able to leap small buildings in a single bound!"...

the naieveness and youthful energy, i dont know, exuberance, i guess, is just bursting out of these records...some criticise it...say its loose and sporadic...
    these are the main reasons i love them so much...

anyway...back to the factor...
    the new album is growing on me even more...still cant get my head round.."surprise surprise" though!

Cheers everyone:). Sorry to go off topic by the way. So i'll get :

Nebraska
    Darkness on the Edge of Town
    Born To Run
    The River
    Asbury
    E street shuffle

Yeah i like Paradise alot so i'll start off with Nebraska i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Nebraska
    Born To Run
    The River
    Asbury
    E street shuffle

Start with Darkness! Better than anything else he's done, though Born to Run comes close.

The Rising would be one of my favourites but I also love Devils and Dust...brilliant album. They'd be the two I'd listen to most...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Its a a great album not my fav by Bruce but still top class

I'm annoyed he was snubbed for Oscar Nomination for The Wrestler :mad:

I read up on both Nebraska and Darkness. It sounds like i will really like Nebraska but i will get both seeing as lots of people recommend Darkness! Devils and Dust is fairly recent isn't it?

Yeah it is, 2004 I think. Still a cracking album...
    I really like Born In The USA album too. Songs like Working On The Highway, Darlington County and the more well-known ones such as Glory Days, Bobby Jean, Dancing In The Dark and obviously Born In The USA.

Wonder what the extra date(s) in Dublin will be? Fri/Mon? Fri only? Mon only? Sun only!??

Here's the official list for European tour so far:

May 30 - Landgraaf, Holland - Pink Pop Festival (March 7)
    June 2 - Tampere, Finland - Ratinan Stadion (ON SALE)
    June 4 - Stockholm, Sweden - Stockholm Stadium (SOLD OUT)
    June 5 - Stockholm, Sweden - Stockholm Stadium (SOLD OUT)
    June 7 - Stockholm, Sweden - Stockholm Stadium (SOLD OUT)
    June 9 - Bergen, Norway - Koengen (SOLD OUT)
    June 10 - Bergen, Norway - Koengen (SOLD OUT)
    July 2 - Munich, Germany - Olympiastadion (ON SALE NOW)
    July 3 - Frankfurt, Germany - Commerzbank Arena (ON SALE NOW)
    July 5 - Vienna, Austria - Ernst Happel Stadion (ON SALE NOW)
    July 8 - Herning, Denmark - Herning MCH (ON SALE NOW)
    July 11 - Dublin, Ireland - RDS (Jan 30)
    July 16 - Carhaix, France - Festival des Vielles Charrues (Jan 30)
    July 19 - Rome, Italy - Stadio Olimpico (ON SALE SOON)
    July 21 - Turino, Italy - Olimpico di Torino (ON SALE SOON)
    July 23 - Udine, Italy - Stadio Friuli (ON SALE SOON)
    July 26 - Bilbao, Spain - San Mames Stadium (ON SALE SOON)
    July 28 - Benidorm, Spain - Estadio Municipal de Foietes (ON SALE SOON)
    July 30 - Sevilla, Spain - La Cartuja Olympic Stadium (ON SALE SOON)
    Aug 1 - Valladolid, Spain - Estadio Jose Zorrilla (ON SALE SOON)
    Aug 2 - Santiago, Spain - Monte Del Gozo (ON SALE SOON)

May 30 - Landgraaf, Holland - Pink Pop Festival (March 7)
    June 2 - Tampere, Finland - Ratinan Stadion (ON SALE)
    June 4 - Stockholm, Sweden - Stockholm Stadium (SOLD OUT)
    June 5 - Stockholm, Sweden - Stockholm Stadium (SOLD OUT)
    June 7 - Stockholm, Sweden - Stockholm Stadium (SOLD OUT)
    June 9 - Bergen, Norway - Koengen (SOLD OUT)
    June 10 - Bergen, Norway - Koengen (SOLD OUT)
    July 2 - Munich, Germany - Olympiastadion (ON SALE NOW)
    July 3 - Frankfurt, Germany - Commerzbank Arena (ON SALE NOW)
    July 5 - Vienna, Austria - Ernst Happel Stadion (ON SALE NOW)
    July 8 - Herning, Denmark - Herning MCH (ON SALE NOW)
    July 11 - Dublin, Ireland - RDS (Jan 30)
    July 16 - Carhaix, France - Festival des Vielles Charrues (Jan 30)
    July 19 - Rome, Italy - Stadio Olimpico (ON SALE SOON)
    July 21 - Turino, Italy - Olimpico di Torino (ON SALE SOON)
    July 23 - Udine, Italy - Stadio Friuli (ON SALE SOON)
    July 26 - Bilbao, Spain - San Mames Stadium (ON SALE SOON)
    July 28 - Benidorm, Spain - Estadio Municipal de Foietes (ON SALE SOON)
    July 30 - Sevilla, Spain - La Cartuja Olympic Stadium (ON SALE SOON)
    Aug 1 - Valladolid, Spain - Estadio Jose Zorrilla (ON SALE SOON)
    Aug 2 - Santiago, Spain - Monte Del Gozo (ON SALE SOON)

We're the only place he's returning to from his previous tour. High concentration in the Scandanavian regions & no British dates!

• Advertisement

no British dates!

There will be..........right after they sell out three Dublin shows ;)

Nebraska
    Born To Run
    The River
    Asbury
    E street shuffle

You should add Tunnel of Love, Seeger Sessions, Magic and Born in the USA to your list. Then save up and buy Tracks. Then buy 18 Tracks for the three songs not on Tracks and Greatest Hits for 'Blood Brothers' and 'The Streets of Philadelphia'.

Just buy the whole lot :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

So far from two disjointed listens to the album I'm not exactly feeling Life Itself or Good Eye but that being said I don't particularly dislike them.

My Lucky Day is excellent explosive Springsteen and will rule live.
    Working On A Dream ain't bad but a little forceful when coupled with his "Love in the time of Bush" sentiments that he goes on about so much.
    Queen Of The Supermarket, eh, took so long to get over the slight madness of the whole concept but I'm diggin it now, just.
    What Love Can Do is one of the stronger tracks on the album by far as is Tomorrow Never Knows even if it is a little too short and out of place.
    After that it's a very strong album and shouldn't disappoint Bruce fans, particularly love the sappy sentimentality of Surprise Surprise, but, anyone who has shyed away from Outlaw Pete at first, return to it! I will safely say hands down that it is one of the best tracks I've heard the man produce, just purely epic!

You should add Tunnel of Love, Seeger Sessions, Magic and Born in the USA to your list. Then save up and buy Tracks. Then buy 18 Tracks for the three songs not on Tracks and Greatest Hits for 'Blood Brothers' and 'The Streets of Philadelphia'.

Just buy the whole lot :D:D:D

I'm sure i will eventually:pac: Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Great album! Wasn't expecting a huge amount from it but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Favourite album of 2009 so far! :pac:

8 (or 8.5)/10

Got my tickets!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Springsteen is sh!t. Full stop

Got my tickets too! Deeeelighted!

Ally Dick, go back to your box.

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Springsteen is sh!t. Full stop

Why's that?