Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Springsteen new album

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Ally Dick wrote: »
    His music sucks farts. It is cliched unimaginative tripe

If you wanted to make a measured and accuarte criticism of Springsteen then you failed. Badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

how can you not like the boss :eek:

OT i really like The Last Carnival, sounds like his song Magic which imo was one of the best songs on the last album. Queen of the Supermarket is a grower and Outlaw Pete was an unexpected suprise, sounds a tiny bit like something from The Seeger Sessions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

The Last Carnival is gorgeous. Beautiful tribute to Danny and I'm sure there'll be a few tears when he plays that in July.

Favourites (in no particular order) are definitely:

Good Eye
    My Lucky Day
    What Love Can Do
    Life Itself
    Last Carnival
    Outlaw Pete
    The Wrestler

Surprise, Surprise has me confused....I don't think I should like it, but it's growing on me.

Fingers crossed for a live version of "A Night with the Jersey Devil" :) Love that distortion, he did the same with Reason to Believe in his solo gig in the point a few years back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

Kingdom of days is a great song.
    Like My Lucky Day a lot too, Its very catchy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭'Ol Jack Chance

Chinafoot wrote: »
    Fingers crossed for a live version of "A Night with the Jersey Devil" :) Love that distortion, he did the same with Reason to Believe in his solo gig in the point a few years back.

yeah i heard it he did it at RDS last summer and it really did sound amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

You chose a perfect name............. now go listen to the 40 years of music he's recorded and come back to us. Back up your statement above by your description of each album and why you find them clichéd, song by song. You've heard Racing in the Streets I assume?

Actually, I'll make it easier - listen to Kingdom of Days from the current album and come back and tell us what he's writing about. Otherwise fcuk off and stop making a fool of yourself.

Got tix for both nights, Sat was a bit scary online but tried on the phone and got through first time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

Stop embarrassing yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm trying to learn The Last Carnival on the guitar but the finger picking is hard(for someone who never really attempted finger-picking before!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Just popped into HMV on Grafton Street.

They are selling off most of Bruces stuff at real knockdown prices (presumably to coincide with tomorrows release).

I picked up 'The Rising' Tour Edition (with bonus DVD) for 6 euro and the 'Blood Brothers' DVD for 7. 'Tracks' was also there for 40 euro.

I don't know if it is just HMV or if other record shops are doing the same.

This may be the time to fill in any of those gaps in your collection.

I picked up the Greetings/Wild Innocent/Darkness box set for a measly five euro :)

51HH6yFETOL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
    I also got the Born to Run 2DVD/CD box set in Glasgow for £9.

btrbox30.jpg

Not much point casual fans getting the Tracks Box and sod buying a Greatest Hits for 2extra songs.
    'Ol wrote:
    how can you not like the boss :eek:

Easy - different people have different tastes. No use getting shocked because some don't like Springsteen, also bit silly really.

Ot: I've only heard The Wrestler. I might pick up the CD/Dvd set if it comes down in price soon enough. I'm not in a mad rush to listen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

sod buying a Greatest Hits for 2extra songs.

In most cases, I'd agree with you here. A lot of Greatest Hits albums include previously unreleased songs to try and get both the casual fan and the serious (???) fan to pay the full whack for it. Bruce is probably guiltier than most of this type of practice (3 new songs on 18 Tracks, Seeger Sessions Land Edition, 3rd disc on Essential).

However, in Bruce's defence, there were five tracks on the GH previously unavailable on any official BS album and these are certainly worth checking out, particularly if you could get the album at a reduced price.

Anyway, back to the new album.

I've listened to it a fair few times since it came out and to quote Mr. Dumpy, it's a good album but not a great album. There are some great songs (Kingdom of Days, the Last Carnival and This Life), some middling songs and some poor songs (Working on a Dream and Surprise, Surprise).

Roll on July. Now only 5 months away.

• Advertisement

After many listens, I can confirm that kingdom of Days is a masterpice. He actually wrote about the possibility of this happening to this character (errmm, probably him) on BTR.

Amazing writer.

In most cases, I'd agree with you here. A lot of Greatest Hits albums include previously unreleased songs to try and get both the casual fan and the serious (???) fan to pay the full whack for it. Bruce is probably guiltier than most of this type of practice (3 new songs on 18 Tracks, Seeger Sessions Land Edition, 3rd disc on Essential).

However, in Bruce's defence, there were five tracks on the GH previously unavailable on any official BS album and these are certainly worth checking out, particularly if you could get the album at a reduced price.

Anyway, back to the new album.

I've listened to it a fair few times since it came out and to quote Mr. Dumpy, it's a good album but not a great album. There are some great songs (Kingdom of Days, the Last Carnival and This Life), some middling songs and some poor songs (Working on a Dream and Surprise, Surprise).

Roll on July. Now only 5 months away.

Aw but it's such a catchy song!!

mars bar wrote: »
    Aw but it's such a catchy song!!

it is a bit y'know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Surprise Surprise is really pissing me off! As has been mentioned, I fell I shouldn't like it but can't help it! I've heard mentioned in a review that this album feels like the closing chapter to his Sadness (The Rising), Anger (Magic) and now Joy (Working On A Dream) "Trilogy" of sorts. Taking this notion on board I can see that Surprise Surprise is just one of those "screw it, I love it and I'm recording it" tracks. It is ridiculously, almost in a silly way, over-happy but ya know what, it's nice to get away from the seriousness every so often.

After many listens the only track not doing it for me is This Life and simply becuase it doesn't have any particular draw for me. It's not a particularly offensive or bad track but it's just a little meh. Love the rest of the album though.

Does Devils and Dust not fit in there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Does Devils and Dust not fit in there ?
    Think it was a reference to the "full on" E Street Band albums, after all there's always a place for Devils and Dust! :D

ah yes, very well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭geffkane

wasn't expecting too much but its a great album. better than Magic. standout track for me is Kingdom of Days.

Best Springsteen album - Darkness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Been sifting through my Springstonian collection.

Favourite album is now Greetings from Asbury Park.

I just got Tom Joad, it's really really good, I like it :)
    Darkness is a fab album.

Girlfriend just bought me The River on vinyl, oh dear :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

niallon wrote: »
    Surprise Surprise is really pissing me off! As has been mentioned, I fell I shouldn't like it but can't help it!

Yes! This song shouldn't be so good, but God it is.

It always takes me ages to get into Springsteen albums. After Magic I became a really big fan (just spent €400 on concert tickets big), so I thought WOAD would be different; that'd I'd love it straight away. Of course I didn't like it at first, and thought it felt half-assed. In the last week or so I've finally gotten into it. Not sure about Outlaw Pete, but I really enjoy This Life, Kingdom of Days and the aforementioned Surprise Surprise.

This week (In scotland) I got Ghost of Tom Joad, 18Tracks and Lucky Town for £5 each. 18Tracks works out at about 27pence per song which is cheaper than getting the box set which is £25.

I also got the Live in New York digipack DVD which is f'n fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭The Swordsman

18Tracks works out at about 27pence per song which is cheaper than getting the box set which is £25.

However, it doesn't include the best tracks from the box set, though The Fever and The Promise are worth the fiver by themselves. IMO, that box set is worth every penny of 25 quid.

Nah man , I've not got £25, well maybe I do, but I'll get through this 18Tracks first...

Although, it won't be on sale forever :(
    damn, I hate impulse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

It's HERE!

First show. First Song. 99 days to Dublin, 121 days to Santiago de Compostela.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5qWdM_bMgw

He only played one song from Magic on the first night, Radio Nowhere. I think he could drop some of the stable songs and throw in more Magic. I have to hear Girls in Their Summer Clothes this time around... But he played Land Of Hope And Dreams. It's going to be a cracking tour!

Advertisement