Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

problem with boot of ford galaxy

Options
  • 13-01-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

I just bought a second hand Ford Galaxy Zetec, MK III version, 2007.

Shortly after bringing it home the boot alert started coming on, then the boot started opening while driving - or at least unlatching the weight of the boot has been sufficient to hold it down so far. On top of that i can no longer open the boot by pressing the latch, even with the car unlocked. I need to use the seperate button on the key to unlock it. That won't be very helpful when i have a load of shopping to put into it and the key battery goes flat.

Seems to be an electronics problem, but maybe not. If anyone can suggest a possibe cause, or better yet a potential solution, I'd be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fian wrote: »
    I just bought a second hand Ford Galaxy Zetec, MK III version, 2007.

Shortly after bringing it home the boot alert started coming on, then the boot started opening while driving - or at least unlatching the weight of the boot has been sufficient to hold it down so far. On top of that i can no longer open the boot by pressing the latch, even with the car unlocked. I need to use the seperate button on the key to unlock it. That won't be very helpful when i have a load of shopping to put into it and the key battery goes flat.

Seems to be an electronics problem, but maybe not. If anyone can suggest a possibe cause, or better yet a potential solution, I'd be grateful.

This exact same thing happened on my Focus recently and it is a common problem on modern Fords. It can be either of two things, the boot sensor located below the number plate light is shorting out because water has found it's way in there or the boot lock itself located just above the back bumper. Not expensive, Ford have a replacement part for both that is better protected from the elements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Thanks so much, that is really helpful, thanks a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fian wrote: »
    Thanks so much, that is really helpful, thanks a million.

No worries, since your Galaxy is 2007 then it should still be covered by the Ford warranty. You should book it in with your local Ford dealer to sort out.

Advertisement