Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs Wigan

• 13-01-2009 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭

b_12.pngVb_68.png

(im bit bored so i started the thread early)

match is wednesday night

match isnt on british tv
    KO at 8pm

highlights on sky sports at 10pm

very big match

wigan have been on a great run recently up to 7th in the league

i have a feeling this match could be hard
    line up i would like to see

vds
    Raf
    vidic
    evans
    oshea
    Ronaldo----carrick
    scholes/anderson
    park
    Rooney
    berba

i would like Tevez to play but the top 2 scored at the weekend and hopefully they'll start a run now

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Will there be streams for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I reckon Tevez will start this.

I was watching last years game on MUTV there earlier - one thing that stood out was how different Ronaldo is this season. He was getting kicked from pillar to post and just got up smiling at them and made them look like fools the next time.

He's a shadow of last seasons form if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I'm worried about this one. We should be ok to scrap the 3 points, but I can see going the same way as most of our games recently, knocking on the door for 70-80 mins before getting that one goal to see us through.

VDS

Rafael
    Vidic
    Evans
    O'Shea

Ronaldo
    Carrick
    Scholes
    Park

Berba
    Rooney

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Heskey's first goal after returning to Liverpool would be just lovely :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Seperate wrote: »

I was watching last years game on MUTV there earlier - one thing that stood out was how different Ronaldo is this season. He was getting kicked from pillar to post and just got up smiling at them and made them look like fools the next time.

Don't think you'd get many objecting to that, but he has had a decent season (think it's 8 goals so far?), it's just nothing compared to last season's stellar form.

He had a good game against Chelsea the other day too, so hopefully he'll continue on.

shoulda sold him for a trillion quid.... *mutter mutter*
    j/k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Dave! wrote: »
    Don't think you'd get many objecting to that, but he has had a decent season (think it's 8 goals so far?), it's just nothing compared to last season's stellar form.

He had a good game against Chelsea the other day too, so hopefully he'll continue on.

shoulda sold him for a trillion quid.... *mutter mutter*
    j/k

He had a decent game against Chelsea alright, which is unusual for him in my opinion. My only criticism for him last season was that he had a tendency to go missing in big games.

He doesn't seem to have the same enthusiasm this season. In the wigan game i saw the other night he was getting the ball and just going at the defenders, drawing them in and leaving them behind. He had a few great one-two's with Rooney too, surging runs into the box. We haven't seen anything like that from his this season.

One other thing about this game - Tevez scored the opener and it was a super goal. He held of Kilbane, rounded the keeper and shot in with two people on the line. Great goal. Typical Tevez, but we don't get to see that much anymore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Highsider

yeah this looks like heskey's last game for Wigan. Let's hope he goes out on a high note:). In reality 3-1 for Utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Ronaldo hat trick starting from the 62nd minute just after Figueroa gets taken off. Zaki to pull one back from a Valencia assist in the 90th minute just after Vidic gets subbed.

Asking too much?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

KevIRL wrote: »
    Ronaldo hat trick starting from the 62nd minute just after Figueroa gets taken off. Zaki to pull one back from a Valencia assist in the 90th minute just after Vidic gets subbed.

Asking too much?

Sounds like someone is more interested in their fantasy team ;)

Wigan are THE form team in the Prem at the moment so it will be tough but you would expect it being at home and all that United will break them down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Seperate wrote: »

I think last season he got up and smiled at opponents is because his form and the teams form was so good. I think he is a little frustrated with his form at the moment and that is being reflected in his reactions on the pitch. But its just the little things that aren't going us way this year. In the Chelsea game for example, he arguably had two goals in correctly disallowed. The corner (whatever your opinions on the legalities of it), and when he went through one on one and was flagged off side (incorrectly in my view). He also had a shot whistle past the post which last season would have gone in.

The same against Derby when his free kick was only inches away.

Its by such a small margins which is bringing his goal tally down and therefore people are questioning him. I believe he will start to get a bit of luck, and United will be the better for it in the run in.

As for tonight with us at home I can see us going with a fairly attacking line up. Also liked Steve Bruce's comments during the week where he said they have a nice cushion points wise (there league position cant change tonight regardless of the result) so why not go and try have a go at United. Hopefully this will mean they won't have ten behind the ball, won't have a 5 man midfield (Heskey and Zaki to start) which will hopefully give United room to play.

VDS
    --Rafael--Vidic-Evans--O'Shea
    Carrick---Scholes
    --Ronaldo
    Nani--
    Bebratov----Rooney--

Wigan are the most inform team in the league at the moment. And if the Heskey to Liverpool stroy is true he could be looking to do his next manager a huge favour / or impress him against one of the big four.

I do not expect an easy game, but I expect United to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭delija_sever029

I think this wont be so easy match for us,Wigan looks good and i will be happy with 1-0

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

KevIRL wrote: »

Asking too much?

Actually no, in fact, I think this is very likely and I'm hoping for the same. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Wigan are the most inform team in the league at the moment.

Nope United are. I think it's 5 wins and a draw from last 6 games, Wigan have 5 wins and a loss. Not a lot of differance though and that's why tonight is gonna be tough, wigan are on a roll and confidence is high and like was pointed out already because they have a small points cushion they can have a go tonight, not much at stake for them.

I'm gonna go for us to win by 2 if we get one early on, if not then I'll be finger nail biting and praying for the goal to come same as usual.

I think team i'd like to see tonight is same as what most want to see.

VDS

Raf
    Vidic
    Evans
    O'Shea

Ronaldo
    Carrick
    Anderson
    Park

Berbatov
    Rooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Steve Bruce to lay down again for United

Steve Bruce to lay down again for United

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hopefully Wigan go for it. I feel Zaki could pose a threat. If Wigan go for the 0-0 it could be tough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

deisedevil wrote: »

VDS

Raf
    Vidic
    Evans
    O'Shea

Ronaldo
    Carrick
    Anderson
    Park

Berbatov
    Rooney

I agree, but Fletch has been excellent for us. He really is a great player. A grafter who does the simple things. Yes that is great, cas its hard to find in todays game! I'd slightly prefer him to Anderson but I've a feeling that could be the team. Maybe Tevez for Rooney also, I doubt but possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

I think it'll be Rooney/Tevez partnership with Nani and Ronaldo on the wings. Nani has the quality to expose the big teams no matter how poor his end product is.

An Anderson/Scholes midfield for me. With Rafael, Nemanja, Evans and O'Shea to play aswell.

Wigan are excellent in defence this season. If we can break them down fairly early, I think we can win comfortably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Please Emile, please!! A last minute equaliser would be quite refreshing!!

• Advertisement

Tevez will not start tonight. So can everyone that wants to bitch and moan about it please do so now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Tevez will not start tonight. So can everyone that wants to bitch and moan about it please do so now.

I think he will, with Berb or Rooney rested for the (potentially tougher) away game to Bolton at the weekend.

I think he will, with Berb or Rooney rested for the (potentially tougher) away game to Bolton at the weekend.

I actually think tonight will be the trickier of the two!!

Berbatov and Rooney will start tonight and at the weekend. Then one will be on the bench for Derby (CC), and the other one on the bench for Spurs (FA Cup)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

For me Rooney and berba should start

rooney and berba are fergies first picks and they scored goals at the weekend

utd needs some consistentency up front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Berbatov and Rooney will start tonight and at the weekend. Then one will be on the bench for Derby (CC), and the other one on the bench for Spurs (FA Cup)

You could be right of course, Ferguson isn't always easy to second guess though, as Sundays game against Chelsea proved! (Giggs in midfield!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,452 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It'll be Tevez and Welbeck against Derby, most likely - Fergie has said he will stick with the same sort of team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Zaki my arse. The guy had a great start to the season no doubt but has he not totally fallen off the radar since ? Very average last few months in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Berbs hardly needs a rest after the break during the Japan trip and the cup tie against Derby? In fairness to Rooney & Berba they need some time to forge a partnership and chopping and changing wth tevez after they both bagged a goal each would not be a good move in this respect (even though I love Carlos too :))

• Advertisement

redout wrote: »
    Zaki my arse. The guy had a great start to the season no doubt but has he not totally fallen off the radar since ? Very average last few months in my opinion.

Please keep tempting fate like that!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Berbatov and Rooney have to start this I feel. They're on the verge of creating an actual partnership and it'll be needed against Wigan.

Berbs hardly needs a rest after the break during the Japan trip and the cup tie against Derby? In fairness to Rooney & Berba they need some time to forge a partnership and chopping and changing wth tevez after they both bagged a goal each would not be a good move in this respect (even though I love Carlos too :))

That guy has a rest for 80mins of every 90min. He is starting to grow on me though. Thought he was good against Chelsea. One thing that stands out was near the end he was given the ball on the halfway line up front on his own and ran diaganolly to the edge of the box with 3 chelsea players all backing off him. He kept possesion and got the pass away. The ball looked as though it was stuck to his foot and no-one could get near it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

redout wrote: »
    That guy has a rest for 80mins of every 90min. He is starting to grow on me though. Thought he was good against Chelsea. One thing that stands out was near the end he was given the ball on the halfway line up front on his own and ran diaganolly to the edge of the box with 3 chelsea players all backing off him. He kept possesion and got the pass away. The ball looked as though it was stuck to his foot and no-one could get near it.

he hasnt grown as me as of yet

but tonights game will say alot if he plays

monkey9 wrote: »
    I actually think tonight will be the trickier of the two!!
    Now that we thrashed Chelsea I agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

As Fergie pointed out, but everyone ignores, Berbatov does more running than most of the front men.

---

I kinda expect Tevez tonight since we've got the tough Bolton away. I'd expect

VDS
    ---Neville---Vidic---Evans---O'Shea---
    Carrick----Anderson
    --Ronaldo
    Tevez
    Park--
    Rooney

should be an easy win for us tonight. If we don't win this game at a canter, we're still not at the level we need to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

well if Ferguson said it, it must be true :rolleyes:

PHB, are you really trying to say Berbatov isn't lazy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,452 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PHB wrote: »
    As Fergie pointed out, but everyone ignores, Berbatov does more running than most of the front men.

---

VDS
    Carrick----Anderson
    --Ronaldo
    Tevez
    Park--
    Rooney

should be an easy win for us tonight. If we don't win this game at a canter, we're still not at the level we need to be.
    While I believe we should win, Wigan are playing good solid football at the moment and are on a great run of form. I don't think it will be an easy game, and i don't think it being a tough game would be too damning an indictment of United.

Mr Alan wrote: »

I really don't want to say this but its just too easy.

We need to know that he is talking about fhacts, not his impression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

lol....i expected that Al, you're getting predictable.

seriously, i'm all for loyalty to a team, but any user of this site who tries to say berbatov isnt lazy should be banned for LIFE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

---

VDS
    Carrick----Anderson
    --Ronaldo
    Tevez
    Park--
    Rooney

I agree, although I'd be surprised if Berba did not start, with Tevez on the bench tbh. I was one of his detractors when he was signed, and although he is far from the finished article, it looks like the partnership between himself and Rooney is starting to work.

Berba is lazy, no questions. But, and a bit like Ronaldo, he can afford to be, because he has the potential, with a flick or a quick turn, to change a game. While it's not perfect, he has that ability, and it's beginning to come through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

---

VDS
    Carrick----Anderson
    --Ronaldo
    Tevez
    Park--
    Rooney

i agree with all of this.

stop stealing my thoughts.

lol....i expected that Al, you're getting predictable.

seriously, i'm all for loyalty to a team, but any user of this site who tries to say berbatov isnt lazy should be banned for LIFE

Its based on Ferguson saying that Berbatov ran more in the Boro game than any other front player including Rooney. And that this was based on stats from pro zone.

Now I'm sure reporters, and places like Sky and Setanta have access to these things so I'm presuming someone might have actually checked that.

EDIT: Damn my predictability.

Its based on Ferguson saying that Berbatov ran more in the Boro game than any other front player including Rooney. And that this was based on stats from pro zone.

Now I'm sure reporters, and places like Sky and Setanta have access to these things so I'm presuming someone might have actually checked that.

EDIT: Damn my predictability.

Only Rafa dares take on Fergie!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,921 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

seriously, i'm all for loyalty to a team

Biggest understatement ever uttered by anyone ever in the history of anything.
    , but any user of this site who tries to say berbatov isnt lazy should be banned for LIFE

You've been trying to say that Gerrard loves Liverpool despite wanting to move away, that Keane has been a good buy, that Kuyt is a good player and that Benitez is your telepathic chum, so I think that other users should be allowed to argue that Berbatov isn't lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

astrofool wrote: »
    Biggest understatement ever uttered by anyone ever in the history of anything.

You've been trying to say that Gerrard loves Liverpool despite wanting to move away, that Keane has been a good buy, that Kuyt is a good player and that Benitez is your telepathic chum, so I think that other users should be allowed to argue that Berbatov isn't lazy.

ugh..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Is this match on any TV Station? Anyone know any pubs might be showing it?

Is this match on any TV Station? Anyone know any pubs might be showing it?

None of the English stations i.e Setanta or Sky are showing it.

It will be available on international stations so there may be streams available.

No idea about pubs but I doubt it.

Its on Gol tv in Spain. I think that channel is on TVU player if anyone wants to check.

http://www.futbolenlatele.com/

Good question any pubs showing game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I'd have no problem with Berbatov and his seemingly lazy attitude if only he would make sure he is always available when we are building up to getting a ball in the box from a cross etc. The problem is he has a habit of standing there outside the box when we have a player running down the wing and a cross is likely to be put in. I'm after seeing him do it time and time again, what's wrong with a quick sprint into the box and be ready to make your move when a cross comes in. He's down it so many times now and it's frustrating watching it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement