Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Are Your Favorite 10 Matches since 1985???

• 13-01-2009 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Please post your top 10 matches since 1985

10. Eddie Guerrero Vs. Rey Mysterio Jr.(WCW Halloween Havoc Oct 26th 97)

09. Triple H Vs. Cactus Jack - Street Fight(WWE Royal Rumble Jan 23rd 00)

08. Shawn Michaels Vs. Bret Hart - Iron Man(WWE Wrestlemania Mar 31st 96)

07. Undertaker Vs. Mankind - Hell in a Cell(WWE King of the Ring Jun 28th 98)

06. Dudley Boyz Vs. Hardy Boyz Vs. Edge & Christian - TLCII (WWE Wrestlemania Apr 1st 01)

05. Shawn Michaels Vs. Triple H - Last Man Standing (WWE Royal Rumble Jan 25th 04)

04. Kurt Angle Vs. Chris Benoit (WWE Royal Rumble Jan 19th 03)

03. Rob Van Dam Vs. Jeff Hardy - Ladder Match (WWE Summerslam Aug 19th 01)

02. Kurt Angle & Chris Benoit Vs. Los Guerreros Vs. Edge & Rey Mysterio (WWE Survivor Series Nov 17th 02)

01. Rob Van Dam Vs. John Cena - Extreme Rules (ECW One Night Stand Jun 11th 06)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Seriously? Would it be harsh of me to say you need to watch more wrestling?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Melion wrote: »

Why, personal taste is a huge thing when it comes to Pro Wrestling? I don't think I could narrow it down due to such a broad time period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Hogan Vs Slaughter at Wrestlemania VII

Benoit & Malenko Vs Bryan Adams & Horace Hogan in a tag-team cage match on Thunder in 1999 (I think?) - It's on youtube for anyone who hasn't seen it.

There's lots more, but they're the two stand out matches that I always remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

I will put down a few now and come back as short term memory prohibits me from remembering too much :D

1. Jeff Hardy VS Johnny Nitro - Ladder Match (Raw)
    2. TLC 2
    3. Jeff Hardy VS Undertaker - Ladder Match (Raw)

Will post more as they come to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I'll have feck all to do at work tomorrow, so i will put my list in there as well. Its actually similar to a thread I was going to start of a perfect DVD with 20 matches, but no time frame.

EDIT: Screw it, Ill have a go now. No particular order as yet, Ill sort that later.

Owen Hart Vs Bret Hart WMX.
    The best ever opener to any WWE event. A technical masterclass from two of the greatest. An amazing story was told and the right man was put over.

Chris Benoit Vs Kurt Angle Royal Rumble 2003.
    Again, a technical masterclass between two of the best of their era. A match which stands the test of time as a stand alone match. You do not need to know the back story to enjoy this one. Arguably Benoits best ever WWE match, and also arguably the start of his push for WM20 in 2004.

Chris Jericho Vs Shawn Michaels WM19.
    The first big match between these two. Great build up beteen the grizzled veteran and the wily upstart prtender to HBKs throne. As close to perfection as anyone can get in a wrestling match.

Eddie Guerrero Vs Brock Lesnar No Way Out 2004.
    One word describes this for me - emotion. it was incredible. The underdog veteran against the unstoppable young un. One of the greatest endings to a match of all time.

HBK Vs HHH Summerslam 2002
    This was just a great hate filled fight.

Ricky Steamboat Vs Randy savage WM3.
    This is the reason i got into wrestling first day, their feud hooked me from day one. This match more than stands the test of time.

Brian Danielson Vs Nigel McGuinness ROH Unified 2006.
    Just incredible storytelling, sick spots and stiff hits. Danielson works the crowd here, and McGuinness plays the hometown hero to perfection. I show this match to people who have not seen ROH before.

Jay Vs Mark Brisco ROH 5YF Finale.
    I probably look at this with rose tinted specs as I saw it live, but it was an amazing brawl. Two redneck brothers just beating the evr living snot out of each other. Perrfect ending to an amazing encounter as well it must be said.

Rock Vs Austin WMX7.
    The biggest match in WM history for my money between two of the biggest stars of the last decade. Huge storyline, huge emotion, huge match, huge swerve. Just huge. I think when I edit this list this will be number 1.

Samoa Joe Vs Kenta Kobashi ROH Joe Vs Kobashi Nov 05.
    A legit dream match and neither man disappointed.

I could go to 20 and might chop and change a bit tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Please dont let me be the only one who would have Mike Awesome - Masato Tanaka in their list.

^ Take note of the topic title - "your favourite matches".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Quietguy018

Melion wrote: »

I said 'Your Favorite' matches not the greatest matches? Seriously Would it be harsh of me to say that you need to read the title before posting???:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It's always difficult doing lists like these as it's like doing one for your favourite songs, on another day you might choose several different tunes. Even so I'll name some off the top of my head thougth they might well be completely different on another day...

1. Shawn Michaels vs Triple H (Summerslam '02)

This was when Hunter was at the peak of his powers and before he would go all mad with power in late '02, 2003. Here he provided a great heel performance, working on the back of Michaels and getting more and more frustrated as Michaels refused to stay down. King and JR were great on commentary and HBK delivered a sensational effort considering it was his first match in I think four years. I love the finish with HHH blocking the Super Kick and Michaels reversing the pedigree into a sunset flip for the pin. Brilliant match from my favourite Summerslam. I have it on tape and wouldn't overwrite it. Great story, great match and while I normally don't give a toss about ratings, for me this is a perfect score.

2. The Rock vs Stone Cold (WM 17)

For me this still stands as the best built match in WWE history. Rock had replaced Austin as the number 1 guy. Then Austin was back. It was a logical match-up but the slow build made it special. The brief face-off in the Cell at Armageddon, the brief face-off in the Rumble and finally the actual match build with Austin stunning Rock twice and Rock getting him back with the Stunner. I remember hearing in school that Rock had stunned Austin (I didn't have Raw then) and it was the most amazing thing I'd ever heard in wrestling. The match itself delivered with that raucous Texas crowd and I love the swerve at the end. JR also gives one of his best commentary performances. "Stone Cold Steve Austin has sold his soul!"

3. The Rock vs Hulk Hogan (WM18)

Say what you want about the wrestling skills of both men. It's irrelevant. The crowd reaction in this match must go down as the greatest ever. I stayed up late to watch this match and went ballistic as Hogan reeled back the years. It was also amazing to hear the reaction The Rock got from the Toronto fans. There's a great moment in this match as the fans are chanting "Rocky sucks" where you can see JR and King look at one another as if to say, "is this really happening?" I thought The Rock dealt with it all perfectly.

4. Owen Hart vs Bret Hart (WM X)

I agree with gimmick. The best opening match in Mania history. Simple, quality wrestling and the finish was perfect.

5. Shawn Michaels vs Chris Jericho (WM 19)

I've always felt this is one of HBK's most underrated performances. I couldn't understand why everyone went nuts for his match with Angle two years later. While that was excellent, for me this was better. A faultless performance by both guys and I'd say this is another perfect score match.

6. The Rock vs Triple H (Backlash, 2000)

I think this is how Mania should have turned out. The match itself is pretty good with a great spot where both HHH and Shane get Rock Bottomed through a table but the ending is what makes this. The return of Austin gets a pop which is sustained for about two or three minutes right until the ending of the match itself when Rock ends Hunter's reign. The crowd just go bananas. I watched this live on Channel 4 and remember raving about it with friends in the following days.

7. Bret Hart vs The British Bulldog (Summerslam '92)

This is probably my favourite match of Bret's and I think it might be his too. A great storyline, a great crowd and a great match which is amazing since Bulldog was apparently feeling the effects of a rough night. Goes to show what a great performer Bret was.

8. Eddie Guerrero vs Brock Lesnar (No Way Out, '04)

I think everybody was delighted to see Eddie get a run at this time and he won a great match. Lesnar warrants credit too for playing the monster heel so well and the ending was a great feel-good moment.

9. Sting vs Ric Flair (Great American Bash 1990)

I'm probably in the minority in that I tend to prefer watching the WCW stuff from the early 90s rather than the NWO stuff of the late nineties. This to me is my favourite WCW match and one I have no intention of getting rid of. JR on commentary also and at the end I'm pretty sure an emotional Sting breaks character to pay tribute to Flair. Classic match.

10. TLC match (WM 17)

This was probably when tag team wrestling had peaked in the modern era and probably the last great hurrah. Three great tag teams and a whole lot of carnage.

Gonna tack on a few more

RVD & Sabu Vs The Eliminators ECW November To Remember 1997 (I think).
    An absolute spotariffic spot fest. Its nothing fancy, just a combination of spot after spot and a few cahirs thrown in for good measure.

Rey Mysterio Vs Psychosis ECW November To Remeber 1995.
    This was my fist introduction to Lucha and while I did not enjoy it on first viewing, it turns out to be an absolute cracker of a match.

The Dudleys Vs Tommy Dreamer, The Sandman & Spike Dudley ECW Heatwave 1998 (best ever ECW show).
    Pretty lame story in the lead in - The Dudleys had put Dreamers girlfriend - Beulah, out of action by breaking her neck. Dreamer wanted revenge. In the end, we got exactly what you would expect from this ragtag of talentless hacks - a glorious spotfest filled with violence leading up to a climax of ECWs greatest ever run in from the awful New Jack. The crowd are insane for this one, as they are for pretty much the entire match.

Do Fixer Vs Blood Generation ROH Supercard Of Honour 1 2006.
    This was my first viewing of anything Dragongate, but I loved it. Again, if you are a fan of selling, this is not for you, but that is not the Dragongate style. A fast paced race of a match where they barely stop for breath.

Brian Danielson Vs Samoa Joe ROH Fight Of The Century 2006.
    This is my favourite one hour draw match, and one of the best ever ROH matches. Danielson plays the cowardly heel to perfection here. Joe is trying to become the first ever 2 time ROH champion. Alow these two do their own thing ina ring for an hour and you can only have greatness.

Samoa Joe Vs CM Punk ROH Joe V Punk II.
    Pretty much the smae as above. They are just after coming off a one hour draw so they need to settle it this time. A topsy turvy affair which has you geuessing and secong guessing yourself throughout.

Bret Hart Vs British Bulldog WWF Summerslam 1992.
    The fact Bret made Davey Boy look so good here is testament to him as a worker. A very memorable and emotion filled match which will always be remebered for how Bret put over Davey. It was a bifg favourite of mine in times past, but I do not think it actually stands up today.

HHH Vs HBK Royal Rumble 2004
    This was a last man standing match and supposedly the blow off of their now 16 month old feud. Many felt cheated by the ending, but I thought it was brilliant. They beat the living crap out of each other from start to finsih, but HBK was so close to standinmg up, but his body had taken far too much punishment to just puull himself up for one second. The bell was met with a chorus of boo's and a bullsh*t chant if memory serves, but I loved the ending. It also served to set up the main event up Wrestlemania 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

joe vs necro butcher
    angle vs joe
    ultimet x 2
    jeff jerret vs james storm
    tlc2
    punk vs chris danials
    benoit vs angle
    undertaker vs jeff hardy (raw ladder match)
    y2j vs hbk wm 19 i think
    surviver series match for astins career hbk steals the show
    hhh vs cactus jack
    (was flair vs steemboat pre 85)
    flair vs hbk wm24
    hbk vs hhh hell in the cell
    hhh vs vince mcmahon vengence
    stone cold vs hhh no way out
    hbk vs hulk hogan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jossnjuice

hogan v rock
    hogan v micheals
    taker and kane at wrestlemania20 just for takers return
    jericho's beat the clock win in the last sec
    edge and foley table on fire
    benoit winning triple threat at WM
    cena defending against trips at wm, because of the shock he kept it
    cena micheals iron man
    hell in a cell original
    hell in a cell taker and foley
    hell in a cell foley and edge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Trying to recall certain matches is quite tough so I'm gonna start slowly...

Legion of Doom w/Ahmed Johsnon vs Nation of Domination, Chicago Street Fight @ Wrestlemania 13. Culmination of sorts to a lengthly feud, great double-doomsday to finish it.

Shawn Michaels Vs Undertaker: In Your House: Badd Blood. Seeing the 'Cell' being lowered for the first time was awesome, and of course the escalation of the 'Kane' story-line was pretty cool.

Hart Foundation vs Stone Cold et al, ITH: Canadian Stampede. Fracas with Bruce & Ross Hart at Ringside and Owen got the win. I thought the US vs Canada feud was really entertaining, despite not having a vested patriotic interest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The first elimination chamber in 2002 Survivor Series at MSG

Rock v Austin at Mania XIX..After the match the Rock nearly lost a few tears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

1. Mitsuharu Misawa/Kenta Kobashi vs. Toshiaki Kawada/Akira Taue (6/9/95 - World Tag Titles)
    The greatest wrestling match of all time. EVERY match you see will have some flaw, some little mistake that takes it away from perfection. This has none. Incredible epic war between 4 of the all time greats. Brilliant storytelling, perfect timing, flawless execution, brutal violence, this match spans the ages. Everyone need to see this at least once. Me? i'd watch it quite happily every day of my life. If I tire of wrestling I watch this match, it never fails to re-affirm my faith in its greatness.

2. Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Toshiaki Kawada (Triple Crown - 6/3/94)
    The greatest match from the greatest feud of all time. I could quite easily assemble my top 10 with matches involving these two in some way, shape or form ad I'd be perfectly happy with it. Insane psychology and stiffness througout, with kawada's selling of the leg just genius. If kawada had won this would be the greatest match ever.

3. Kenta Kobashi vs. Mitsuharu Misawa (01/20/97 - Triple Crown)
    No Top 10 would be complete without some Kobashi. The amazing thing about this is how fast paced it is, the match just flies by despite its epic nature. Kobashi at this stage of his career was scarily good.

4. El Hijo Del Santo/Octagon vs. Love Machine/Eddy Guerrero – (AAA 11/6/94 - When Worlds Collide)
    Incredible match. the heat that Los Gringos garner from the Mexican crowd by doing swimming motions is hilarious. The most insane crowd I've ever seen, the heat when it really looks like Santo and Panther are *****d is ridiculous. Brilliant, brilliant dramatic match.

5. Ric Flair Vs Ricky Steamboat 2/3 falls - Clash of the champions VI
    The greatest pure wrestling encounter to ever take place on North American soil. A thing of beuty from start to finish. These two had such incredible chemistry together.

6. Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart - WrestleMania XIII (3/23/97 – I Quit Match)

Brilliantly told story from start to the amazing double turn at the end. What happened afterwards changed north American wrestling forever.

7. Jumbo Tsuruta vs. Mitsuharu Misawa (6/8/90)
    Classic plucky junior Vs grizzled veteran match up with the right result. The match that catapulted Misawa into the stratosphere. The audible gasp and raucous pop from the notoriously subdued Japanese crowd is a sound to behold.

8. Doug Furnas/Dan Kroffat vs. Kenta Kobashi/Tsuyoshi Kikuchi (5/25/92 - All Asia Tag Titles)
    the All japan elitists will say this wouldnt make even a top 20 All Japan list but I love the sh*t out of this match. Unbelievably fast paced and hard hitting given that it was 1992. If this match took place on RAW in 2008, the internet would spaff its collective pants in excitement.

9. Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind - Mind Games 1996 (9/22/96 – World Title Match)
    Foleys's greatest match and in my honest opinion Shawn's too. Not only are there some incredible high spots that were unheard of in their day, the psychology is incredible, from Shawn trying to break Mankind's fingers to eliminate the mandible claw, to Foley stabbing his knee to put the life back into it. Unreal match.

10.1992 Royal RumbleThere may have been better Royal Rumbles in terms of quality, but I'venever had such fun watching one than this. the line-up is like a nostalgic who's who of the wrestlers from my youth, the commentary is absolutely hilarious, Flair is immense, i just love this match to bits. Probably the match i've drunkenly watched after nights out more than any other. EVERYONE enjoys the 1992 Royal Rumble.

flahavaj wrote: »
    10.1992 Royal RumbleThere may have been better Royal Rumbles in terms of quality, but I'venever had such fun watching one than this. the line-up is like a nostalgic who's who of the wrestlers from my youth, the commentary is absolutely hilarious, Flair is immense, i just love this match to bits. Probably the match i've drunkenly watched after nights out more than any other. EVERYONE enjoys the 1992 Royal Rumble.

I didn't have sky, so I put on the scrambled station and listened to that match. Even without being able to see it, I thought it was great. Says a lot for how good the commentary was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I didn't have sky, so I put on the scrambled station and listened to that match. Even without being able to see it, I thought it was great. Says a lot for how good the commentary was.

Haha, myself and the brother used to squint at scrambled wrestling when we were young all the time. We'd even convince each other we could make out what was happening! Good times, great memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Darr3nG

1992 Royal Rumble... What a classic...

My cousin recorded it off sky for us, and was warned not to tell us the outcome!!! I still have the blank tape... worn from years of play!

Recently downloaded it for my kid to watch, even he was impressed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

In no particular order...

Royal Rumble 92
    Great call, I'd forgotten to think about Rumble matches. What can I say that hasn't been said before? From Monsoon and Heenan's commentary, to Flair's general performance, to Piper's entrance (great pop), to Hulk and Sid screwing each other, to Jake Roberts hiding from Savage, it was just perfect entertainment.

Rock v HHH - Backlash 2000
    I'd enjoyed wrestling immensely before this; this got me addicted. I physically jumped when I heard that glass shatter. Also imo one of HHH's greatest performances. As MNG said, should've been at Mania. Ah Channel 4 :o

HBK v Razor Ramon; Ladder Match WMX
    Even though this should by all accounts have been Bret's Mania with the great opener with Owen and the start of his 2nd, and arguably definitive, title reign, Shawn still manages to steal the spotlight. Again, I can't add anything to what hasn't been said before about this match. The original and best. That splash from the top of the ladder from Shawn has become iconic.

HBK v Undertaker; Hell in a Cell; Badd Blood 1997
    During the time at which HBK believed, and by and large was, invincible. Sick bumps, unreal psychology (HBK having to get physical to survive and just compete with Undertaker), Kane debut. This was back when we didn't over-analyse everything to the point where we ruined it for ourselves. Undertaker no-selling Sweet Chin Music? If that happened today can you imagine the outrage on this forum....;)

Flair v HBK - WM 24
    Not either of their absolute best but so emotional that it brought the match to a whole new level. Shawn gave Flair the final match he deserved. Not to say Flair didn't contribute his share. That final kick - Flair begging for the final nail in his career coffin, with Shawn's almost immortal apology, 'I'm sorry...I love you', then smack. Classy of Michaels to leave the ring immediately too to let the legend have his moment on his own for as long as possible.
    The build too, allowing Flair to be Flair for a while, was incredible. 'OLD YELLER!!!!'.......

Savage v Steamboat, WM III
    Near fall after near fall, move for move, this was the substance that supplemented the hype that was the Andre/Hogan main event. As engaging as that was, this match was simply better. The closest Steamboat ever got to emulating his classics with Flair.

Undertaker v Jeff Hardy; Ladder Match; Raw 2002
    A match that just sticks in my mind. Probably not quite one of the best of the last 20 odd years I know, but for 'show' and performance from the two I just enjoyed this so much. And that knockout shot on Taker near the end from Hardy had me up out of my seat. I genuinely believed for the next few moments that Hardy had a chance. The sign of repsect from Taker at the end was a great touch too.

Flair v Steamboat; 2 out of 3 falls; 1989
    Already mentioned. Pure wrestling brilliance. Pure white meat babyface against the cool heel you just loved to hate. The chemistry these 2 had was something you just wish you could put in a bottle and sell. THE great wrestling rivalry. You could watch them for hours and never tire or get bored.

HHH v HBK; SummerSlam; 2002
    Just awesome. It's been said before but just to re-iterate how incedible HBK was in this, his first match in 4 years. HHH wasn't half-bad either playing his role as the jealous bully perfectly. It made HBK's comeback all the more emotional and believable. The commentary was just great also. I remember King saying at one stage after a near fall from HHH after some brutal use of the chair...'Shawn, what are you doing?'. I genuinely thought he may have meant it at the time!

Stone Cold v Bret Hart; WM 13
    As with a lot of my picks, perhaps it's a little obvious, but how could I not pick it? It has it's iconic moment with Austin passing out from the pain of the Sharpshooter, a sensational performance from both guys, and a raucous crowd 'constantly evolving' as JR put it to the point where they chose Austin over Bret as their guy. This was the start of Austin's meteoric rise; he did not drop that ball and neither did the WWE.

I couldn't believe looking back at the list how many HBK and Flair matches are there. I suppose the cream always rises to the top! Also 2 Taker matches...never been a mark for him but there you go. He can't be that bad ;)

Apologies but my experience is only really with WWE, I will make it my business to start researching some of the other stuff mentioned in this thread I think.

I look forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Bret Heart V Stone Cold WM13 thought that was good with the duel turns and all.

Chris Jericho V Chris Benoit Royal Rumble 2001 ladder match one of the best ladder matches i think

Just a wee short list

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Bret Hart vs British Bulldog - Summerslam 1992 (IC Tittle)

HBK vs British Bulldog - SNME 1992 (IC Tittle)

Bret Hart vs Stone Cold - WM 13

HBK vs Undertaker - Bad Blood 1997 (Hell in a Cell WWF Tittle)

Money Inc vs Natural Disasters - WWF Wrestling Challenge 1992 (Tag Tittles)

Ric Flair vs Macho Man - WM 8 (WWF Tittle)

Undertaker vs Mankind - KOTR 98 (Hell in a Cell)

Shane McMahon vs Kurt Angle - KOTR 200? (Street Fight)

Macho Man vs Ric Flair - WWF Prime Time 1992 (WWF Tittle)

HBK vs Bret Hart - Survivour Series 1992 (WWF Tittle)

Matches in bold are purley for nostalgic reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

flahavaj wrote: »

A very good choice indeed!!
    Im surprised that no one has included bret hart vs shawn michaels iron man match from from WM12

fatal wrote: »
    A very good choice indeed!!
    Im surprised that no one has included bret hart vs shawn michaels iron man match from from WM12

You mean apart from the opening post ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

You mean apart from the opening post ;)

O yea,excuse me:o

Advertisement