Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to choose a mobile number

• 13-01-2009 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how to go about doing this?
    I want to sign up for a bill pay contract but I really want to have a particular number. I've rang it to see if it is connected already and it isn't.
    The number begins with 087, does that mean I have to sign up with Vodafone to get it? The people in the Vodafone shop don't seem to have a clue and the customer service on the phone tell me to go to the shop!:confused:

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i hate when customer care tell people to go to the shop. there's absolutely nothing the shop staff can do that customer care can't and customer care can do a lot more.

you'd have to get it from vodafone anyway. maybe call business support and see what they say. 1800 30 80 20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Couldn't agree more Sam

Yeah, you'd have to go to Vodafone, the sales guys should be able to contact the activations department and see if the number is available. That said unless Comreg has assigned the number to Vodafone they won't be able to issue it to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

ring vodafone, say you want a particular number, they'll check whether its in use, if its not ask them to activate it on ready to go, go into a vodafone store(once they've activated the number) and ask for a sim change, I didn't really know vodafone still let you pick your number anymore but I had a customer in 3 weeks ago who rang vodafone for a particular number on ready to go and they got admin to activate the number and then he got a sim change off me... Hope that helps in some way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

Thanks for the responses. All helpfull
    Ah-Watch wrote: »
    ring vodafone, say you want a particular number, they'll check whether its in use, if its not ask them to activate it on ready to go, go into a vodafone store(once they've activated the number) and ask for a sim change, I didn't really know vodafone still let you pick your number anymore but I had a customer in 3 weeks ago who rang vodafone for a particular number on ready to go and they got admin to activate the number and then he got a sim change off me... Hope that helps in some way...

Rang Vodafone again and as usual was told to head into a shop, but was also told that the number was available and shouldn't bhe a problem. Yipee!
    So I went in to a shop again. After much to-ing and fro-ing with the guys in the shop and someone on the shop phone from Vodafone customer services (they were all baffled by my request!) I was eventually told by about the 4th person I was transfered to on the phone that the number was previously in use, but isn't anymore, but won't be available again until March.:confused:

I don't know whether to believe them or not at this stage! Maybe they're just fobbing me off for a few months.:D So I guess I wait?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Thanks for the responses. All helpfull

Rang Vodafone again and as usual was told to head into a shop, but was also told that the number was available and shouldn't bhe a problem. Yipee!
    So I went in to a shop again. After much to-ing and fro-ing with the guys in the shop and someone on the shop phone from Vodafone customer services (they were all baffled by my request!) I was eventually told by about the 4th person I was transfered to on the phone that the number was previously in use, but isn't anymore, but won't be available again until March.:confused:

I don't know whether to believe them or not at this stage! Maybe they're just fobbing me off for a few months.:D So I guess I wait?

You might have to wait but if you want try them again... I know my 087 number which hadn't been topped up in 12 months was cancelled on the 15/12/2008 and it was back on the system as unregistered on the 16/12/2008 so I took it back, you normally have 12 months to top up in and then its cancelled but you've another 6 months to contact vodafone and reclaim the number, after that its anyones number but its worth a try?:cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement