Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sources of Protein

• 13-01-2009 10:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

Any advice appreciated.

I've made an effort over the past week to eat healthily and I've been tracking what I eat over on fitday.com. What it's shown me is that my ratio of protein to carbs isn't great. Nearly 50% of my nutrition is coming from carbs at the moment, with protein averaging about 15%.

From this, I'd say I need to start eating protein with every meal. I'm not a huge meat eater so realistically I need to look at other ways of getting protein in.

Are eggs ok to eat every day? I've always presumed that they weren't. The other thing I've considered is drinking more milk. Are there any better ways that you can suggest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

youghurt

lean chicken fillet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

eggs everyday is ok, have a look at the fitness forum for some diet tips.

mix up your eggs daily to keep it intresting, for breakie on monday, have scrambled eggs, tuesday have poached eggs, wed have boiled eggs etc etc

i eat 2 every morning for months, and will be back doing it from next week (new canteen layout in work, so no access to a microwave:mad:)

chicken fillets are excellent for protein, either grilled or oben baked or on the george foreman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Some good non meat sources of protein are cottage cheese, milk, peanuts, pumpkin seeds and beans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Eggs are fine. There is evidence to suggest that they tend to improve your ratio of HLD to LDL cholesterol, so reducing your chances of heart disease. You can also use the whites only (almost pure protein) to make all sorts of desserts and even wheat-free bread.

Fish, chicken, prawns, cheese, cottage cheese, plain yogurt, tofu, nuts and seeds, turkey, beans and lentils, gelatin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

Thanks for all the suggestions!

• Advertisement
Advertisement