Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im just popping outside for a toke...

Options
  • 13-01-2009 10:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

How tolerable is cannabis use in Irish work environments ?

Im watching American Beauty last night and theres the scene
    where Kevin Spacey has escaped out the back door of his wife's function.

He meets his neighbour's kid, whose working there, and the two share a joint.

A friend who works at a software company, comments that a co-worker regularly takes trips out to the wheelie bins for a mid-work joint.

He claims its widely known within the office and that the guy is a high end programmer, very valuable to the company.

Now this is a high tech, small IT business, all university graduates and with the liberal attitudes that go along with that.But I wonder, how common is this mid-work spliff break in Ireland ?

Is it confined to a very niche group of work environments and still a very serious infringement in the majority of workplaces ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I used to regularly nip down to a secluded courtyard in a company I was working for. Was fun and all but meh, only made the day seem longer. I am of course a (dubiously) high end programmer though so I guess I am allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Its all down to tolerance really.

Some people have been smoking that long that a joint during work would be the eqivilant of a cigarette to other people.

I know guys in numerous professions that smoke all day everyday (even some that drive JCB's) and there work is just as good as anyone elses if not better, again its just their tolerance levels. I would actually hate to see what kindof days work they would do without a joint!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

American Beauty is only a film, you know that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

I dont think you can possibly build up much of a tolerance though at least not to the point where smoking a spliff would be like smoking a cigarette

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭djmike

turgon wrote: »
    American Beauty is only a film, you know that right?

She sure got some purty lips, Pa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Its a brilliant show

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Happened in a factory I worked in during the summers, guys were going out for their break in the morning, then at lunch time and coming back in to operate machinary. Bosses were well aware of what was happening but it would have taken a major accident before they did anything.

Also one guy was popping around to a pub around the corner every other day for "a bowl of soup". Soon became every day, then he just started filling up lucozade bottles with whiskey...ended up cutting his hand up pretty bad. Eventually got fired and last I saw of him he was passed out in a park. Again the company really should have stepped in when they seen what was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

indough wrote: »
    I dont think you can possibly build up much of a tolerance though at least not to the point where smoking a spliff would be like smoking a cigarette

Yeah its quite possible, just like coke, E's or any other type of narcotic. You body builds a tolerance level which is why you need more to get the same 'buzz' as you did when you first started using it.

I know long term pot users on which a single, light joint would have little effect.

Think about the barfly who downs 4 pints and is still sober.

ah no i dont believe that at all, you still get stoned from a joint after years of smoking, theres no way smoking a joint will ever be anything like smoking a cigarette for anybody

• Advertisement

djmike wrote: »
    I know long term pot users on which a single, light joint would have little effect.

Think about the barfly who downs 4 pints and is still sober.

a single light joint has little effect on anybody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Also one guy was popping around to a pub around the corner every other day for "a bowl of soup". Soon became every day, then he just started filling up lucozade bottles with whiskey...ended up cutting his hand up pretty bad. Eventually got fired and last I saw of him he was passed out in a park. Again the company really should have stepped in when they seen what was happening.

is drinking at lunch time frowned upon these days? I thought there would be no harm having 1 pint at lunchtime no matter what profession who were in (well most professions)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

ah no i dont believe that at all, you still get stoned from a joint after years of smoking, theres no way smoking a joint will ever be anything like smoking a cigarette for anybody

it all depends how it affects them i know people who after a spliff or two show no real signs, no redness of the eyes no stupid giggling nothing

you would have no clue they were after been smoking

if your smoking 15 years or so and smoke 6/7 joints a day one spliff isn't going to have you sitting at your PC in a fit of giggles eyes popping out of your head and the boss wondering what the hell is going on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I worked and lived with a guy who was actually more productive just after a spliff than he was when he was in need of one. This was in a company where coke usage was rampant, and joint smoking was common through out all aspects of the company.

I know one incident where my roommate had taken a fifteen minute break and had been missing for 25 so the manager on the floor went looking for him. He(the manager) found him and instead of giving out to him, had a spliff with him instead and the two arrived in in a while and no more was said.

Another company I worked for, drug use was frowned upon, but there were a few key individuals who 'nipped' out for a while. Everyone in the office knew what they were doing, but no one said anything.

In some companies, drug use penetrates all echelons of management and non-management alike, and to call a halt or even bring in the gardai, would mean losing half your staff.

I remember an Xmas party a few years ago when I walked into a conversation that was happening between the head of facilities and head of HR, and they were joking that the cleaning staff should be given face masks when cleaning certain desks because it was a company wide joke/rumour at the time that certain departments didn't bother nipping out and just snorted coke straight off their keyboards.

In short, cannabis use is tolerated in some industries. In some it is frowned upon and in some it can lead to instant dismissal. Depends, generally on the industry in question, the leniency of the floor manager, and how the individual behaves after their 'toke'.

As some posters have said, to a person who smokes spliffs 10-12 times a day, the one they have at lunch hardly affects them. In some places, if I have a pint at lunch it would be frowned up, but if I had a decent breakfast and am having a decent lunch, one pint of guinness is going to have very little affect on me.

is drinking at lunch time frowned upon these days? I thought there would be no harm having 1 pint at lunchtime no matter what profession who were in (well most professions)

Unless it's a bottle of Château Le Tour and you can see the Eiffel tower from your seat, then, it ain't acceptable.

Certainly in an Irish context, and especially among the professional classes.

If such a thing even exists but thats a different question altogether...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

dont know about drug use but nearly 80% of the teachers in my secondary school used to all frequent one pub in town for lunch and half of them would frequently come back after lunch noticeably merrier!
    we didnt exactly at the time though! They gave ya less hassle or just didnt notice the messing as much :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

If it didn't affect someone's work then the only reason not to tolerate it is either because you're a prick who likes seeing discrimination against marajuana users or because you're afraid of being liable if someone else catches them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wouldn't normally, I have a few times and if I have something to do it can be really helpful.

I have a load of friends who work in the building trade and they smoked non stop when they where working. It seems like the vast majority of building site workers are stoned half the time both local and foreign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Unless it's a bottle of Château Le Tour and you can see the Eiffel tower from your seat, then, it ain't acceptable.

drinking at lunchtime is a fairly big thing on a friday in australia and england, us irish should get off our high horse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

drinking at lunchtime is a fairly big thing on a friday in australia and england, us irish should get off our high horse

In a company I used to work in(in ireland) it was also a big thing. Around 3pm on a friday, someone would go buy a crate of beer, someone would set up a CS server, and I would go for a smoke. Those were good times. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Yep. I was working in a warehouse for a few months. One of the lads there would often go out for a "smoke" and I would sometimes join him, everyone knew about it but wasn't bothered. Even though we often operated heavy machinery. Luckily there was never any accidents (sort of..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Personally I wouldn't like to drink during working hours just because you have to go back to work after .... BUUZZZZZ KIIILLLLL .... but I know of a manager (not where I work) in a senior bank who is well known for going for a few scoops during working hours...and not just at lunch!! But he's old school, in his fifties and extremely good at what he does and very sucsessfull.

Never really done anything "dodgy" during work, haven't smoked a spliff in years, but.... not a bad idea, might try it some time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

100% agree with this and thats talking from experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭craiginireland

If you're thick enough to get stoned at work and get sacked... It's your own fault.

I don't get it. Why bother?

Advertisement