Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astras?

Options
  • 13-01-2009 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone,

I am looking to buy a car at the moment. It will mostly be used for commuting to work- and maybe the odd longer journey at the weekend. I ideally dont want to be spending any more than 3500 and would like to go 01-02. I have seen a fair few Opel Astra's on carzone. A few people have told me these arent the best but dont seem to really have anything to support these- apart from thy think they are a bit boring.

All I want is something which is reliable, sturdy, economical, 1.4 engine, power steering etc. I was looking along the lines of this....

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Astra/1.4-+-3D/200847190906778/advert

What do ye think of these kind of cars? Is there a particular reason against them? Anyone got any other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Nice car, but I'd say the timing belt is due if it already hasen't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I'll sell you my Golf for 4k instead ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Melion wrote: »
    I'll sell you my Golf for 4k instead ;)

He said reliable... :pac:

BTW wasn't that Astra 1.4 litre engine known for suffering from head gasket failure?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Plug wrote: »
    Nice car, but I'd say the timing belt is due if it already hasen't.
    How do you know if the car you're buying needs a new timing belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Caderyn wrote: »
    How do you know if the car you're buying needs a new timing belt?
    ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

wow- quick replies! :) Boards is great! Whats this about timing belts and head gaskets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

how about a focus maybe? Good solid car and generally very reliable. Nice cars to drive and comfy with it. Avoid the 1.4 because its dog slow. The 1.6 would probably be lighter on petrol too because you dont have to rev the ar*e out of it too.

My boyfriend just got focus actually- its 03 and 1.4- been driving it and I find that engine grand for what I want. Be a bit embarassed to have matching cars- but I guess thats no reason to discount it!
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Focus/1.4-Z--T/200851191236296/advert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Thumpette wrote: »

I ideally dont want to be spending any more than 3500 and would like to go 01-02. I have seen a fair few Opel Astra's on carzone. A few people have told me these arent the best but dont seem to really have anything to support these- apart from thy think they are a bit boring.

All I want is something which is reliable, sturdy, economical, 1.4 engine, power steering etc. I was looking along the lines of this....
    The 1.2 version is the same car without the timing belt / head gasket issues. (Its got a timing chain that lasts forever afaik)
    A little less power, but a little cheaper to tax & run too.
    €3500 sounds like a lot for an '01 these days - you should be able to knock 500+ off that.

• Advertisement

Nice cars Bazz, all a bit out of my price range tho :(

Gurgle wrote: »
    The 1.2 version is the same car without the timing belt / head gasket issues. (Its got a timing chain that lasts forever afaik)
    A little less power, but a little cheaper to tax & run too.
    €3500 sounds like a lot for an '01 these days - you should be able to knock 500+ off that.

Thanks for the advice... How about this?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Astra/200849191131446/advert

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Personally I think the Astra is too heavy for a 1.2 litre engine and they were never that popular despite being a few quid cheaper to tax.

You would consider going to the UK for a car? You will get alot more car for your money over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,899 ✭✭✭patrickc

the astra 1.4 litre head gasket is known to go in them all between 80-90,000 miles.

depending on where it's done can cost between 400-800 to get skimmed etc.

thats way over priced IMO for an astra with that mileage, my gf sold her 00 astra mechanically sound but body work not great with 145,000 miles on it for 700.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

bazz26 wrote: »

BTW wasn't that Astra 1.4 litre engine known for suffering from head gasket failure?

+1

Very prone to head gasket failure. Breaks timing belts if not done exactly on time (36k) and water pump, tensoner bearings etc need to be changed at te same time (550-600 euro at dealer, 350-400 at independent mechanic). Several cases of engine rebuilds not being successful after broken timing belts, and engines having to be replaced. Secondhand engines very hard to get and expensive due to high demand. Coilpacks also give trouble, and EGR valves.

There is a reason why they are cheap !

Focus is much better car. Corolla infinitely more reliable but will get slated here for being boring.

Kinda going off the astra a bit now.... Been widening my search...

Probably wouldnt bother going to the UK to be honest Bazz- just pure laziness to be honest...

Saw another couple of interesting things tho

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1261628

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1290064

Any thoughts?

You couldn't go far wrong with that.

I'm commuting on donkey tracks (or as the council calls them "secondary roads") for 300 miles per week in a '00 Astra 1.2 with nearly 130,000 miles on the clock.

I decided to just keep abusing it until it died, but its refusing to do so. I'm actually getting quite impressed with the thing's durability.

-edit- Had to laugh at that, the other car outside my house is an '01 corolla, its a bit more comfy in the front but don't try to put anyone over 5 foot tall in the back.

Probably wouldnt bother going to the UK to be honest Bazz- just pure laziness to be honest...

Apart from "laziness", it's unlikely that it would pay to bring in an older car unless it is something special. Your travel costs are fixed at 500 euro typically, which is big relative to your budget. Well minded older cars are desirable in England too and tend not to be a whole lot cheaper than here when the VRT is factored in. Starts to pay to import at approx 5000-6000 euro mark, highly dependent on the particular model.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 johnjoesim

Astras have their issues but nearly every car does, great car to drive and you could get one a lot cheaper than 3k, I personaly would be very slow to buy any other type of car, if they were as bad as what is being made out here they wouldn't be as popular as they are, wouldn't say no completely to it yet anyway if I were you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

I would be looking at a Nissan Almera or Colt OP.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1280227

If it was a choice between a Polo or Astra, it would be Astra every day for me they have been proven to be reliable and are nice to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Plug wrote: »
    ask.
    So they tell me the timing belt is fine and I take their word for it. Helpful, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

+1

Astras1.4 engine must have moust weakes head gasket, after punto ofc.

for 3.5k i would consider something better, get yourself a diesel or 1.8 406, truest me, you wount be dissapointed. And it will be more comfortable then astra... big time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

Caderyn wrote: »
    So they tell me the timing belt is fine and I take their word for it. Helpful, thanks.

servicing documentation backing them up, or else assume its not been done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

astra 1.7 diesel with isuzu engine

thats what i recommend get one in the north with full service history and electric pack i have a spare car (vectra with isuzu engine) with 230,000 mile on it that
    runs perfectly

Tony Broke wrote: »
    I would be looking at a Nissan Almera or Colt
    Dunno about the Colt, but we had an '00 Almera 1.5 for a year or so - solid, comfortable, handled nicely...

-BUT-

1) It has a timing chain which has to be changed every ~60k miles - at 4 times the expense of a timing belt (€800)

2) CAT went at 65k miles (€250)

3) No power, constantly changing gears which makes it bloody headwrecking to drive.

Overtaking is actually much easier to do in the 1.2 Astra than the 1.5 Almera.

Tigger wrote: »
    astra 1.7 diesel with isuzu engine

thats what i recommend get one in the north with full service history and electric pack i have a spare car (vectra with isuzu engine) with 230,000 mile on it that
    runs perfectly

+1

Astra with Isuzu diesel engine is completly different proposition to the 1.4. They just go forever. I also had a Vectra (93) with that type engine - used it for pulling a car transporter trailer for 6 years - still on the road. Very economical also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Yup my head gasket is gone again at 130k miles, when getting the head gasket replaced ensure you get a higher grade head gasket instead of the cheap one, then you are go to go and will have no problem.

Apart from the head gasket, I have never had any issue with this car at all. I have owned it from 54k miles, now has 130k miles.

Suspension bushings need replacing and brakes need refreshing, but thats down to nature wear and tear.

I am not swapping my car for the world, very strong engines and reliable, easy to repair as well.

They suffer with an EGR value issue as well, easy enough to cure as well.

Would I buy another Astra - most definitely.

Good bang for your bucks.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Boots2006

+1

we've two of them!

'99 with 90k miles on the clock
    coil pack went
    head gasket was weeping at 40k miles
    egr valve is giving trouble
    got dogs abuse, but keeps going ... I plan to drive this into the ground

'98 with 130k miles
    replaced 2 shocks recently
    egr valve went as well

cheap to run, tax and insure ... good fun to drive too!

if you go for an astra, the early ones had ABS as an option, neither of the above have it. same for aircon
    try to get the electric mirrors, they are heated too. the non-heated ones collect rain drops and are hard to wipe clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Ay Cee

Had a 98 Astra for a few years. Never had a day's trouble with it. Regret getting rid of the thing now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement