Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fireback replacement

Options
  • 13-01-2009 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Have a crumbling fireback in a turf burning fireplace which needs replacing.Have heard of an appliance called a fireplace insert (i think) available from Griffin Hawe in Athy,has anyone got any information on these appliances?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

You should be able to get Whats called a 50-50 fireback,its basically the fireback cut into 2 pieces to make it easier to put in without removing the whole fireplace, should be easily got from any building suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

A fire "insert" is a small stove that fits into a standard fireplace ope. Is this what you are referring too?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭ger34

Yes thats exactly it.My opening is a 16" and i burn turf generally.I have heard these inserts are very efficient compared to an open fire, maybe 80 to 90%.Need to find more information though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

There are a number of threads on fire "inserts" in DIY. I believe they range in price from €500 - €1700. I seen one in a local hardware the other day for €500. It basically turns your fireplace into a stove.

Anyone remember the old Waterford Fire fronts? Circa 1985, they seems to be very efficient.

Advertisement