Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Biology

Options
  • 13-01-2009 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

It came as quite a shock to me today when I realised that we have a serious sh!tload of the course yet to do. Looking at the contents, we have yet to do:

Ecology (ch. 4,5,6);
    Variation and evolution + Genetic engineering (ch. 18, 19);
    Plant responses;
    The nervous system;
    The senses;
    The endocrine system;
    The skeleton and muscles;
    The human defence system;
    Viruses;
    Sexual reproduction in flowering plants;
    Vegetative propagation;
    Human reproduction.

Is this as ridiculous as it seems? I'd be grateful if someone could compare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

We've got at least:

Plant responses;
    The nervous system; (we're half way through)
    The senses;
    The endocrine system;
    Viruses;
    Vegetative propagation; (I think)

and probably one or two more.

Ecology isn't too bad, and neither is genetics. I wouldn't say you are too badly off though, there's still like nearly 6 months left! Just knuckle down, and maybe do some extra exam questions or something at home yourself, so as to remind yourself of old stuff! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

cautioner wrote: »
    It came as quite a shock to me today when I realised that we have a serious sh!tload of the course yet to do. Looking at the contents, we have yet to do:

Ecology (ch. 4,5,6);
    Variation and evolution + Genetic engineering (ch. 18, 19);
    Plant responses;
    The nervous system;
    The senses;
    The endocrine system;
    Viruses;
    Vegetative propagation;
    Human reproduction.

Is this as ridiculous as it seems? I'd be grateful if someone could compare.

I have 7 of those chapters left to do, and my teacher was out for 2 weeks so far this year:D

There are 2 Biology classes in my school, I happen to be in the "A" class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

^As do I. Looks like I'll have to take matters into my own hands. I'm surprised because my teacher is one of those inspirational ones, who I imagine I'll accredit my glittering, high-profile career in Biology to down the line. *sigh* yet more stress

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Ah, you'll be grand tbh.

This time last year I think we must have had that much left to cover.
    In fact, we didn't even do any of the genetics stuff, we ran out of time.
    Did I still get an A1? Yes.
    There's plenty of option on the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Dubs

i can tell you our school has:
    Viruses;
    Vegetative propagation;
    Human reproduction.

left to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

We still have to do everything with the word 'plant' in it :(

it's a really big course

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Make sure your in when their cover genetic engineering.Its by far the hardest thing on the coarse in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

yeah we've a load left to do, can't remember which.

although we are on our 6th teacher since last christmas....
    the teacher we have now is horrified by how little my class knows.

EDIT: there's a few other classes in my year that are finished the course

Remmy wrote: »
    Make sure your in when their cover genetic engineering.Its by far the hardest thing on the coarse in my opinion.

Are the chapters leading up to that not worse?

DNA & Genetic Crosses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

We've got all of Unit 2 done. I'm not sure if we've completely done Unit 1 yet since our teacher doesn't stick fully to the book but we've got a good amount of it covered.

We've got these left to do:

Plant Responses (doing it now)
    Plant Sexual Reproduction
    Propagation
    Maybe another plant one, not too sure what the topics are

Skeleton
    Nervous System
    Senses
    Endocrine
    Sexual Reproduction

We're actually not that bad. We should get a good amount finished by the mocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

(sorry to rub this in)

all we have left to do is plant reproduction
    we're doing animal nutrition now
    and a bit more on enzymes ...........that's it
    .........and we've done about half the past papers
    and there's only 5 of us in the class:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

it's a ridiculously long course. I think we've 5 or 6 ch's left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Fad wrote: »
    Are the chapters leading up to that not worse?

DNA & Genetic Crosses

your right genetic crosses are fairly tricky too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sniger

We finished our bio course on monday and were revising all the tough chapters before the mocks so its all good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

We have about four or five chpts left to do.

But as for the other 20 odd chapters, they've been 'covered in class', which is completely different to actually understanding & following it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Doctor Dee

We're nearly finished the course, should have it more or less done by the mocks. And we did a 6 week revision thing there just before Xmas, while we were still covering new stuff.

Genetic Engineering is definitely not the hardest thing on the course, its just a new thing for most Biology teachers so they dont really get it themselves. Its not hard at all.

Hard things? Photosynthesis and Respiration. Genetic crosses. Sexual Reproduction in Humans. Protein synthesis.

Any predictions?

it's a ridiculously long course. I think we've 5 or 6 ch's left

We shall count ourselves lucky then :D

Old course seems to have been ALOT longer!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

ahh i have plants nd crosses to do then im finito:cool:...o btw what's crosses like?...and please tell me dna hasnt a hope of appearing in the leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

sorry to tell ya'll but it seems that either DNA or genetics is a defenite for the new syllabus

and either respiration or photosynthesis*

*i'm not guaranteeing anything so if you fail it's not my fault

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

ahh sugar!im not doing that question if its a long one!ahh respiration /photosynthesis is a defo no worries about that....i would burst into tears if dna and food came up ..how i hate them!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

we only have a few chapters left, a few human systems and thats about it.

I think respiration and photosythesis is actually very easy as are the crosses, its maths to be honest. Enzymes are bound to come up, they're up like every year so thats good cos they're easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Isn't there a new examiner setting the paper this year?*

Might mix it up a bit.

*may not be true. I think it is though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭irishmonkey

Genetics, excretion, and ecology come up every year without fail at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭bethm24

Just read on yourself you dont have to wait for you teacher. just read it without studying it like a book. this helps:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭laura!

ok i would be worried with that about left to cover.... them chapters aren't small and are tricky enough. you won't do well in the mocks if you hav'nt covered them but i'm sure you'll be totally grand in the actual leaving!!!!! we've got our course completely done which is amazing seeing as we had the worst teacher in the worls last year... we just managed to get a relly good one this year who simplifies everything and gives brilliant notes.... that i actually understand(now that's unbelievable:P)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

lucky number 6 teacher managed to get i'd say 10 chapters done since christmas so we have the course done for the mocks... the only good teacher we've had, tested us each class so we know a few chapters for the mocks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

We have about 3 chapters left to cover i think there the endocrine system,nervous system and immune system i think thats right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

We had time to squeeze in one chapter from The Organism section and our teacher for some reason decided to do the Nervous System and not Human Reproduction. Why on earth?! Human reproduction comes up almost every year, and the nervous system has hardly ever come up, so I went on ahead and looked at human reproduction, which took time away from my other biology chapters I had to study.

Piste wrote: »
    We had time to squeeze in one chapter from The Organism section and our teacher for some reason decided to do the Nervous System and not Human Reproduction. Why on earth?! Human reproduction comes up almost every year, and the nervous system has hardly ever come up, so I went on ahead and looked at human reproduction, which took time away from my other biology chapters I had to study.

Probably because HR is longer than the NS, so in order to get the chapter finished on time, he/she probably chose to do them :pac:

Have you done Plant Reproduction yet? I HATE IT, that and Ecology may me want to claw my eyes out:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Quick question, wondering if anyone can help me, we have a new teacher who i think isnt qualified to teach LC bio, but can teach Jc science i think,, and he doesnt have our new book (its bright green) by O Callaghan (?), He's been teaching out of the old version (a darker green colour) Which i also have, but dont use
    in Photosynthesis (groan) has the course changed recently?
    because in the Dark Stage our new book doesnt go into specifics,it just says what happens but the old book does, it mentions 5 Carbon Molecules and 3 Carbons and its a bit confusing and pointless!
    i've got a Test tomorrow on it and its a bit late to tell him that he's given us a good half page on notes that isnt on the syllabus! :rolleyes: but for my own benefit? What should i do?

Advertisement