Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL Biology

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Nope haven't done plant reproduction....I remember doing some of it for JC and it was so boring!

KatCookie: God your teacher sounds like a nightmare! For the dark stage all you need to know is that CO2 is reduced to Glucose, no need to know how many molecules. You also need to know that ATP is converted to ADP and NADPH is converted to NADP+ and 2e- and 1H+

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Gloom

Plant reproduction isn't that bad.

I have 10days to study for Biology (last exam AFTER midterm) so I am going to be really pissed if I do not get a high grade. I plan to devote 2-3 hours a day studying biology.

Last year, I had a different teacher (she is on maternity leave this year) and this year teacher sucks. She goes through things REALLY slowly. We mainly do questions from the workbook which imo is irrelevant. We should be doing exam papers questions to understand the layout/type of questions asked as they usually repeat them. I feel bad for the class because we won't get the course finished on time and some of them do not deserve this.

Good thing I have my notebook from last year so I keep my head down in class and this year is just "revision" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

KatCookie wrote: »
    Quick question, wondering if anyone can help me, we have a new teacher who i think isnt qualified to teach LC bio, but can teach Jc science i think,, and he doesnt have our new book (its bright green) by O Callaghan (?), He's been teaching out of the old version (a darker green colour) Which i also have, but dont use
    in Photosynthesis (groan) has the course changed recently?
    because in the Dark Stage our new book doesnt go into specifics,it just says what happens but the old book does, it mentions 5 Carbon Molecules and 3 Carbons and its a bit confusing and pointless!
    i've got a Test tomorrow on it and its a bit late to tell him that he's given us a good half page on notes that isnt on the syllabus! :rolleyes: but for my own benefit? What should i do?

well our book doesnt go into that much specifics about photosynthesis, just explains that in the dark stage ATP is formed and all that, nothing about 5 carbon molecules...the only thing that talks about carbon molecules is the respiration

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Fad wrote: »

Old course seems to have been ALOT longer!

Yes, it was. I got an A2 though. Used to love bio in school. Oh how i miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Yes, it was. I got an A2 though. Used to love bio in school. Oh how i miss it.

Wish I did it tbh, Id prefer to have done the extra work, and actually had a little bit more of an idea of what is actually going on:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Piste wrote: »
    Nope haven't done plant reproduction....I remember doing some of it for JC and it was so boring!

KatCookie: God your teacher sounds like a nightmare! For the dark stage all you need to know is that CO2 is reduced to Glucose, no need to know how many molecules. You also need to know that ATP is converted to ADP and NADPH is converted to NADP+ and 2e- and 1H+
    Yeah he is a bit annoying, but luckily it wasnt on the test! Only got two short aswer questions wrong (that i know of)
    I heard that the course changed in 2005, is that the correct date?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭littlebsci

KatCookie wrote: »
    Quick question, wondering if anyone can help me, we have a new teacher who i think isnt qualified to teach LC bio, but can teach Jc science i think,, and he doesnt have our new book (its bright green) by O Callaghan (?), He's been teaching out of the old version (a darker green colour) Which i also have, but dont use
    in Photosynthesis (groan) has the course changed recently?
    because in the Dark Stage our new book doesnt go into specifics,it just says what happens but the old book does, it mentions 5 Carbon Molecules and 3 Carbons and its a bit confusing and pointless!
    i've got a Test tomorrow on it and its a bit late to tell him that he's given us a good half page on notes that isnt on the syllabus! :rolleyes: but for my own benefit? What should i do?

The 5 carbon molecule you referred to is a sugar containing 5 carbons that combines with carbon dioxide to form a set of molecules that contain 3 carbons each......the 3 carbon molecules. It has nothing to do with the number of molecules actually being formed.

Either way you don't have to know about the substances/molecules in question for photosynthesis so forget about it!

The only topic in which you will refer to the actual number of carbons found in molecules is respiration. Glucose (6 carbons) split up into pyruvate (3 carbons). Pyruvate converted to an acetyl group (2 carbons) by the removal of one carbon. And so on......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Well we are getting onto Respiration now, so in a few classes i'll know what you are talking about!
    Good to know that i can disgard a page of my notes-and tell everyone else to also! The less to learn the better!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Considering how extremely interesting I find the vast majority of the course, I have a curious hatred for Plant Biology.

Anywho, according to my teacher, who has been doing this for years and is my personal hero, we'll have enough chapters covered to get an A1, just with less choice in the exam. I've read most of the book since September of 5th year anyway so I can kind of wing a lot of questions we haven't done in class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

you dont need every chapters to do a LC biology,ask any student in the Institute you will get their A1 strategy plan with only study half of the book.

my teacher actually told us back then she can do that too but she wouldnt:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

OP, I wouldn't worry about it. Like a previous poster said, there is a huge choice on the paper. If you have a good idea of the main sections of the course, there is quite a bit that can be left out and your teacher probably knows this. I was in your position a few weeks before the LC, freaking out because there were chunks of the course that we hadn't covered, but I got an A2 in the end.

Of course, it's still early, there's nothing wrong with going over a few things yourself if you think you won't get them done in class before June.

I've gone over a lot of it, (I tend to read the Biology book when I'm supposed to be studying other subjects) but I find a lot of it doesn't really click into my brain until we do it in class. No worries, I have my mock on Wednesday and that should give me some indication of where I'm at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

in general most of biology is wfflre,you only need the basic princioles the rest is background etc.

but DO NOT use the book too much (the darker green one by o'callaghan)
    as it was published before the new syllabus was fully put together so a lot is extra info he thought might be necessary
    i can't be too sure about the new one ,my school is too cheap to buy the proper one's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

but DO NOT use the book too much (the darker green one by o'callaghan)
    as it was published before the new syllabus was fully put together so a lot is extra info he thought might be necessary
    i can't be too sure about the new one ,my school is too cheap to buy the proper one's

Is that the one just imaginatively called "Biology"?
    Hmmm.
    I know mine is green, but I think it's the revised edition...

I had to buy a new book this year by another company. I think it's called "New Senior Biology" (Also quite imaginative) but I think it's crap in comparison. It complicates things, and doesn't have as many pretty pictures and colours. It's all blue and dull and .... not pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

yeah ,it's just "Biology" it's bluey green and would be a fairly effective weapon in most situations:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Yeah I have the revised one as well plus I got it second hand as well so they must be out a while. Just studying that photosynthesis chapter, what a load of tedious ****e.

I <3 my Biology book. So full of fun colours and shapes.

As opposed to dreary old Chemistry Live, full of dreary pictures of dreary people in Cork standing awkwardly beside big plastic boxes that measure something tedious like... I don't know... Potassium or some sh!t...

Aw I love chemistry live, Declan Kennedy tried so hard to make it fun and exciting! ("now here's an experiment for the thrillseekers!" "stay tuned for point iv!") He reminds me of someone's dad desperately trying to be cool.

Aw I love chemistry live, Declan Kennedy tried so hard to make it fun and exciting! ("now here's an experiment for the thrillseekers!" "stay tuned for point iv!") He reminds me of someone's dad desperately trying to be cool.

I vividly remember a small part of me dying inside when I first read that.

The Dad thing is so true. Cringeworthy reading.

• Advertisement

I remember reading something in the book and thinking "but if that's so, then why is X happening?" and the next line was "for those of you wondering why X is happening..." and that's when I fell in love with chemistry.

I think the sheer number of exclamation marks in the books is just ridiculous, I love it though, so of the people in it though, like the woman on the last page of the water chapter testing pH, that stands out! (At least I think theres a woman testing pH...............)

Nah, page 46 FTW ;)

cautioner wrote: »
    Nah, page 46 FTW ;)

Gragh I have to trek up to the attic to get that, this better be worth it!

I wouldn't bother. Probably not really your thing!

I wouldn't bother. Probably not really your thing!

Woah! Those Ions of the first 36 elements are pretty saucy, and those yellow shorts............

On page 1 *Adding pompous to the flask*

Serious Laugh Out Loudz.

Page 59 is wacky fun! Kids love balloons!

Ack my chemistry book is about 1.5 metres away but I'll be damned if I'm getting out of bed for it!

Serious Laugh Out Loudz.

Page 59 is wacky fun! Kids love balloons!

I dont even need to look!
    They have such memorable people in the book, that bandana.

Both pictures of Humphry Davy in the book are pretty amazing, pg 291 especially.

• Advertisement

Without looking, I'm guessing that that's when he gets a bit too excited over the Potassium. Nerd.

Advertisement