Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed plz

Options
  • 13-01-2009 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi I am applying to maynooth as a mature student to do hopefully accounting and finance. Can any body help me my problem is I dont have the experience or qualifications in this area at all. This course is all I have wanted to do. I have to write out my personal statement and fill in my work experience etc for my application form but I have not got a clue how to convince them to give me the place or prove how much I want the place. Has anybody any advice on what they look for etc? I think the place is only given on basis of the application form. I also don't know who to give as references. :confused::eek: I have finished school in 2002 I done my lc and done a fetac course in a completely different subject last year. :( I really really want to do this course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Hi I was in the same boat as you last year, although I applied to NCI. When you get called for the interview, make sure that you have reserched the course and you know what the subjects are etc.. if you really have an enthusiasm for the course it will come across. Also going in as a mature student they will want to make sure that you can support yourself and that you understand what going back to full time entails.

Hope this helps a little and good luck- I'm halfway through my first year of accounting and HRM and I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Anyone can say I want to do 'x' course, give me a place. The college will have to look at many applications like this. You have to convince the admissions panel to give you a place over other applicants. So always have this in your head!

Before starting your application write down a list of why you want to do the course, how elements of the course will interest you and why. Write down what skills you have picked up from working/life and tie them in with how these will help you on your course and when you graduate and take up this career path.

You can write about the course you recently have done and how doing the course has made you ready for full time education- studying, meeting deadlines for assignments, research methods etc. It doesn't matter if the course doesn't relate to what you want to do now. It will show you can deal with study and heavy workloads etc. Ya have to big yourself up on the application, more so if they don't interview for places!

Find out as much as you can about the course, the career and what options you'll have when you graduate. It's a good idea to contact the specific department in the college and ask for recommendations for what to include in the application form, what they look for. By making yourself known to them before applying they may well remember you later on. (If you harass them enough. :))

As regards to references, I'd try and get 3 written references from people. Getting someone of authority is best. Maybe a tutor from your last course, a former or current employer and someone else who you may know personally.

If you've done any volunteer/community related work write it down. When writing down hobbies/pasttimes, expand on why you like doing a certain hobby and what skills you've learnt from it.

Check out thestudentroom.com I only recently found this website but I found it has great information for mature students. (UK based website)

Advertisement