Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions - Saab 93 Linear Sport

Options
  • 13-01-2009 11:52pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have my eye on a 2004 Saab 93 Linear Sport 2.2 TiD.

It has 75k miles and has appearntly only been serviced by Saab Ireland and has the engine managment upgrade installed.

Taxed to 06/09 and NCT'd till 03/10.

The seller is looking for €11k

I've had a look a few times. Great looking car. Very clean. Havent test driven it yet but might do if I can find the time.

What do people think? I'd sa the running costs would be unreal and its the thing putting me off the most. If it was a 1.9 I'd have probably bought it already

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

:DDon't ask me - I'm biased............but there again I have a 9-3 Vector Combi Sport 1.9Tid :D

I know someone with a 9-5 2.2 Tid estate, and he's very happy with it. About 40mpg iirc.

Another, with a 9-3 2.2 Tid saloon, isn't. Mind you, his is an ex-UK high miler.......like HELLO - repmobile. Not great MPG on his (no surprise there, then...), but I think low 30's. But I wouldn't take that as gospel for that model, for the stated reasons.

Our 1.9Tid does 39mpg on the usual short runs, etc. Mid 40's on longer. Not as light as a VAG, but I like the car.

9-3 drives better than 9-5, btw.........9-5 a bit of a floaty 'ol boat :D

My brother now on Saab no...4 ?.....has had no issues, even at high mileages. None on ours, either, but there wouldn't want to be, seeing as it's an 06.

P.S., I'm going back to a petrol one though, if I can - want an auto.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

GM 2.2 lite TD is very rough and unrefined. €11k is a bit pricey for one to be honest. I would rather go for the Fiat sourced 1.9 TiD and there is good value in them over in the UK.

Here are a few examples of cheaper ones:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1283771
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1254380
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1282487

Does the linear sport have leather/half leather upholstery or does that only come with vector and up?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Thanks will read that later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

would rather the 1.9, the 2.2 is a bit of a tractor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

colm_mcm wrote: »
    would rather the 1.9, the 2.2 is a bit of a tractor.

In terms of engine noise?

I think I'd tather the 1.9 as well just simple for costs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Have had both the 2.2 and the 1.9 diesels in Vectras (essentially the same car as the 9-3 :D) and the 1.9 is infinitely better and light years ahead in refinement. The 2.2 suffers from fuel return pipe problems which you can tell from hessitant acceleration. Easily fixed though. Got around 30 - 40 mpg so not that great. Would spend that little bit extra for the 1.9 but only the 150bhp version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Car-dealer

Hi

for €11000 its a fair price, but you might be able to get an 05 with lower miles for around that figure. We sold an 05 9-3 for €12000 (asking price was €14995) that had 60K and we have an 04 with 75K miles for under €10,000 - just to give you an idea of prices.

check out carzone and see and you should be able to haggle at least €1000 off the asking price of any car on there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

You would be mad to pay €11k for that when you could import a 2004 model from the UK with the much superior 1.9TiD 150bhp engine, in the better Vector or Arc spec (leather, cruise, elec seats, climate, etc) for under 9k.

Edit: You'll also be saving about 300 a year in road tax and get better mpg. If you wanted to go for the 1.9 TiD 120 model you'd save even more in the VRT (slips into the 20 percent band)

Edit 2: I've driven one for a while (lovely car), and also been in a fairly heavy crash in one (not my fault), and have nothing but good things to say about them. get one! :)

• Advertisement

remember the linear 12o BHP has the lowest VRT

however the vector sport 120 or 150 BHP has a higher VRT as the Open Market Sales Price is a good bit higher on them.

Id say €11000 for an 05 Linear Sport 120BHP
    or say €9000 for an 04 Linear Sport 120 BHP
    or say €1000 for an 04 Vector Sport 120 BHP

there are some really cheap ones on Autotrader UK, but you really need to get a 1.9 TiD with around 50-70,000 miles will full service history on Saabs, so best to get a good one from a good dealer to avoid problems in the future!

We get Saabs direct from Saab UK and other sources so Saabs are really our thing.

What dealership do you work at (if it's possible to say on a message board)? Is the 120bhp 1.9TiD a bit underpowered?

Hi

I have my own small independent car business, import everything from the UK, especially Saab direct from Saab UK. Can give out details on here as advertising is not allowed, but if you message me direct via pm, I can let you know.

Anyway, yes a lot of people say the 120 BHP is underpowered, but I think its a bit of a myth, as think about the average car and look at average BHP from 90-120BHP. However, a lot of Saab buyers do prefer the 150 BHP, I guess they feel the extra power suits the drive on a Saab. The point I was just making is the lower 120 BHP can be imported for the least level of VRT, whereas the 150 BHP vector or Aero are more expensive.

Advertisement