Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running scared....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Thanks MarieC, I'm doing the higdon novice spring training program and it increases the milage v-e-r-y slowly so by the 1st of March should be having a 4.5 mile run on that day. Since I'll probably have clocked up more miles by then than I did last year for the mini-marathon, I might be able for it. Might need to stop for a walk half way through but it would be a nice way to ease into the training :) thanks for that suggestion.

Did the Streets of Galway (harriers) last year but was very anaemic at the time so I didn't do well there at all-for myself. I'm afraid that I wouldn't really be up to club race standard yet as there can be precious few runners finishing in my kind of times and i find it a bit hard to keep going when there isn't really anybody left around after the first 10 min....it's a very defeatist attitude but at the moment it spurs me to try and improve.

I'll start to pay more attention to their websites though, anything that has a good mixed crowd will be good to help me along, cheers

Had my 35 min walk today, covered 2.8 miles in 40 min at a resonably good pace. Even had a little jog up a particularly big hill :) it's hard just to walk now :) Bit hungover after a late night (though at least I skipped the houseparty which stayed going till 8 am I think!) :pac:

Tomorrow is a rest day again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Hi - just off to bed so just a quick note... :)

Well done on progress so far, just getting in the running habit is more than half the battle, maintain that focus and times will pick up. Adare 10k is a nice race, walkers get a 30 min head start so even slower runners will be passing people and have company on the route. It's not on Run Ireland but you register on the day (March 1st I think) in the Town Hall at 12, race is at 2. MCOS and I are doing it so feel free to say Hi!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Hi - just off to bed so just a quick note... :)

Well done on progress so far, just getting in the running habit is more than half the battle, maintain that focus and times will pick up. Adare 10k is a nice race, walkers get a 30 min head start so even slower runners will be passing people and have company on the route. It's not on Run Ireland but you register on the day (March 1st I think) in the Town Hall at 12, race is at 2. MCOS and I are doing it so feel free to say Hi!

Im hoping to do it also with a few friends so we can have a mini boardsies get together! :)

Working 12-9 today, had just about convinced myself to get up and go run this morning before work when I remembered that it was a rest day :pac:

.......So I must be getting into the routine now. 1.5 miles again tomorrow, will force myself to get up early as I usually run in the evening.

• Advertisement

Thanks --amadeus-- and MarieC, it would be nice to put names and faces together, plus encouragement to get to the finish line without dawdling...I'm still a bit slow (ok-a lot) :D Cool, all going well then, we'll be organising a little meet up in Adare, thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Hi McConkey I should be at Adare too. I had planned running it but because of my injury I will be walking it instead. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Cualaman

Hi McConkey,
    Keep it up your doing great. I am in a similar position as you and have just started a plan to get me to the DCM. I am finding it really tough at the moment but my aim is to get the ugly runs out of the way during these dark winter nights and hopefully be in better shape come the bright evenings. I am doing about 3 mile runs 3 times a week and find it very tough but am determined to be on the start line on Oct 26th.
    I am entering the Great Ireland run in April and the Addias / Lifestyle race series to have a few targets.
    Best of luck on your journey

Cualaman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hi McConkey

Well done on your progress so far! Yep, I'll be at Adare with --amadeus-- and now that Bally 8 and MarieC are doing it too it will be fun to meet up and hang out for a bit :D

MCOS

Thanks Bally8, Cualaman and MCOS, looks like I'll definately have to be in Adare so, it's the place to be :) Cool it will keep me busy to try and prepare :) I'll be looking forward to seeing everybody at the finish line so. Bally8, you'll probably still finish before me even if you are walking (--amadeus-- mentioned the walkers start half an hour before the runners). I'm still very slow and will probably have to walk part of the course anyway.

Cualaman, you have the same plan as me-if we can get out in the crappy weather for these runs, then it should be easier to do the longer ones when the weather is better :) Are you keeping a log here on Boards? My internet is very slow tonight and keeps dropping the connection so I'm limited in what I can surf :( I'd like to read up on what you're at if you are keeping one.

I would have liked a few of the Dublin runs but it's not too easy to drive up, run and then drive home...even though I'l prob go for the mini-marathon. I have friends up there but I don't want to be looking for a bed too often or they'll kill me :D

• Advertisement

Well, all attempts to get up early for my run proved futile so instead I got in from work, put some food on to cook while I was out, changed and went straight back out for my 1.5 miler tonight.

Weather was lovely for running. The breathing was ok tonight but the legs felt a bit tired, perhaps due to the walk on sun and day off yesterday :o Did my 1.5 miles in 17min 10s (11min 27s/mile)

Hi McConkey,
    I have a training log i made up myself but i have not started one here. I have joined the 1000 mile challenge though. You will see me right down at the end of the table. I have to say the boards have been great so far for info and motivation. I will keep an eye on your training log. I have an excel file with my training plan but i have no idea how to attach it here.
    Best of luck on your journey
    Cualaman

I have just managed to attach the file.
    Have a look and let me know what you think.
    Cualaman

Well done Cualaman, you obviously will be at the start line in Oct DCM as you have put so much time and effort into your plan. I will definately be keeping an eye on it to see where around I should am in relation to it. Fair play, you won't be near the bottom of the table for too long if you are sticking to those goals, you are already covering greater distances than I am, and I have 12 weeks to build up to the 6 mile range :) Hopefully we'll hear from you often with the updates then!

How are the new runners?

Nice run this evening, made a mistake on my long run last Sat and came in a half mile early so rather than just add it to my 1.5 mile run I figured I better add it to the 3 miler tonight to get the full benefit of extending the run. I need to keep a better eye on my charted runs!

Was so lazy when I got home, tired from work and lying on the bed with my lap top. However I did manage to drag myself up and out and did my initial 3 miles in 33min 20s and the total 3.5 miles in 39min 20s. So 11min 20s/mile. Was happy enough considering I had a couple of good hills and a mile stretch of unlit road. Note to self: running downhill can be just as bad as running uphill-who knew?

Happy this evening with that :)

Go hard or go home, you asked a question on the 1000 mile challenge thread which was lost in the mists of time-just saw there was a whole little commentary on my shame at joining the 1000 mile challange with 6 miles on the clock....I'm not sure if you're ever in here but I can't find a log/not sure if you have one here.

The 6 miles I had initially were made up of 2x1.5miles and 1x3 mile run according to Hal Higdon programme....you've probably already noticed that I'm not storming up the leaderboard with my low milage anyway :):)

Just back from another 1.5 miler. Left knee (which I strap up while running) was a bit sore all day, but ok. Found both knees a bit sore when I started running tonight but it went away, hopefully nothing major anyway.

Was hoping to push it for speed tonight but really didn't have the energy or kick when it came to it. If I could push a bit harder on the short runs maybe I would have targets to help start shaving some time off my general runs :confused:

Anyhow my 1.5(1):pac: miles tonight took 16min 31 sec (11min 0.6s/mile)...which is actually slightly faster than my other similar runs!!! :eek::) I even started to walk the last few meters cos I live at the top of a little devil of a hill, then stopped myself, said WTF are you doing and managed to jog to the end, finishing with 1.51 miles on my pedometer in the time above (It was epic!!!! well it felt like it anyway :pac::D:o). Pity I stopped now, I would have got below 11 min for the first time :( Target for the next 1.5 miler I suppose.

It's almost like I can't not go out in the evenings now-last two evenings I've been lying on the bed thinking of not going and got myself up and out anyway-long may it last :) Weather was pretty ****e tonight too, wind and rain Boo Hoo :( I'm all buzzed up now:D

Rest day today :)

Three weeks in nearly and have settled well into the routine of getting out for my bit of training so at least the log is working. Just a 40 min walk today so 3 miles/40min 44s or 13.34min/mile. Small niggle, nothing too bad in my left knee but hopefully it's nothing. Its the one I wear the support on, been weak for years but I have never seen anyone about it. I find it better to keep the support on it for any fast walking/running.

Tomorrow is a 3 mile again, might be worth getting up early to get it finished early since the weather is supposed to be turning colder :( Checked out the times and pay as you go prices in a gym at home for next week in case it really does get too cold to go out for runs.

I have a question about watches and heart rate monitors-I nearly purchased online earlier but said I'd hold off for a bit and get some feedback from you guys first. I'll post them on the main page as my lowly log is probably a bit low on the traffic front ;) Would have liked a bit of a run today....if I can tomorrow I'll try push myself to get under 11 min miles....prob shouldn't have said that...oh well:o If you see a 14min/mile posted for day 20...then laugh :)

My GP seems slightly concerned at my heart rate being so high (anaemia) so that is why I'm interested in these monitors. I'm not looking for medical advice mods (as the only solution involves the doc injecting me ergo must see the doc regularly) but does anybody here have/know someone that has b12 anaemia and runs...my GP seemed bemused that I even wanted to run and aside from injecting me more often (which I appreciate-but also costs me more) she doesn't seem to be able to give any advice. I'm afraid I'll never get any faster cos of the anaemia :confused:

3 miles today...was gutted when I realised my pedometer had given up the ghost, spent ages trying to find my old ones to see if any of them would work but gave up and went out in the end. Knew how far I'd gone yesterday so just did that again.

Was very cold today with a bit of a breeze, hard to run at times. Ended up walking for a couple of hundred meters twice I'd. I got terrible pins and needles from the cold I guess-need to dress a little more warmly for days like today.

Did my 3 miles in 31 min 55 (10min 38s/mile) and first time I've gone under the 11 min per mile....pity I didn't keep running for all of it but at least I know I can be a little faster now.

Legs felt heavy today....slapping into the ground :( Tomorrow is a rest day again-not sure if that's good or bad...I'll have 3 weeks down then

• Advertisement

In a moment of madness at 1.30 in the morning I've signed up for the 8k in Maree/Oranmore in Galway on the 15/2/09. It's E15 and starts at 1pm in case any local boardsies are interested.

Since I invested in the Forerunner 305, I figured I better organise some stuff to keep the motivation going :) With that i think I need to go to bed, before I do something else crazy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good luck :) I shall be rocking out to Lordi that day, but I'll keep ya in mind!

Lordi, class :) where are you seeing them?

On a rest day today, just home from work-wouldn't have minded a little run. It is baltic outside though, might go for my 2 miler in the morning when the sun is out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Button Factory in Dublin. Can't wait :)

I really wanted to run tonight too, just for the sake of it, but my fear of breaking something in the snow got the better of me.

Would love to be up around Dublin to see all the snow, lots of pics up-it looks lovely :) Better to keep safe and stay indoors for the running/swim or something alright :)

We've got no snow in Galway :( On the upside it was a beautiful sunny day, hopefully tomorrow will be nice again for running. Checked out local gyms at home just in case we get bad snow/ice...

Got up this morning expecting either snow or sunshine-got neither. Headed out in a wet sleety shower for my two miles and threw in an extra 0.3 for the fun :)

Got my 2 miles done in 19min 45s (9min 52s/mile) stoped clocking then. It strikes me that I may not be getting any faster and the time improvement is due to not slowing down to open the pedometer to see how far I've gone every 5 minutes :o Roll on the postman with my 305 watch-seems Wiggle haven't posted it yet though :(

Well I've definately been sucked in to this whole running lark now!!! Got myself up at 6.30 this morning-shock horror, that never happens :confused: Have to head to Clare this morning and was afraid I wouldn't get my three miler in due to dangerous and dark raods tonight....so figured I do it this morning :)

Got out at 10 to 7 and did my three miles in 30 min 53s (10 min 17s/mile) Woo hoo feels good :) (don't laugh-I'm only starting :) Cold and breezy but overall a nice morning for running.

Definately have a little injury in my right leg-if the base of my fingers are on my ankle bone then the area under my palm, on the inside of my leg is where the injury is. It was sore all day yesterday and still sore this morning. I got some diclac gel yesterday, a cold pack and some deep heat. Deep heat didn't do anything so I'll try the difene gel today and put the cold pack on tonight after work. Any suggestions on how to look after this so it doesn't become a major problem are welcome-though obviously not in a medical sense :) Hope training is going well for everybody :)

Rest day. Swapped my rest and run around due to the sore leg and the extremely cold weather last night.

Drove back from Ennis to Galway tonight and by the time I'd eaten it was 9....was sorely tempted not to go out but didn't want to leave the gap in the log so managed to get out-it was only a 1.5 mile anyway so could hardly complain.

Leg is still quite sore in general but not too bad while running. Out at 10.15pm in the cold and 1.55 miles in 15 min 45 s so 10min 10s/ mile not too bad although I had a little stitch due to eating too close to running. Four miles tomorrow :eek: swapping my Sat walk for Sun run due to a night out tomorrow night :)

• Advertisement

Absolutely lovely morning for a run....there were almost no clouds in the sky, yet still a little bit of snow fell?! :) Footpaths were a bit icy in the shade but no big deal.

Was a 4 miler fro HH this morning so headed off on my usual three mile loop and then had to run past the house to make up the extra mile-that bit always kills me :( Anyway did my four miles in 40min 33s or 10min 10s/mile. Then I decided since I was still a bit away from the house that I'd continue jogging back so overall another 4.85 miles added to my total :) Happy days.

I'm aggravating whatever is wrong with my leg though each time I go out :( Hoping to do my walk as early as possible in the morning to have as much rest time as possible before my next run on Tuesday. Maybe some ibuprofen is in order too :( Ironically it doesn't hurt too much when I run, it's just the rest of the time :(

Advertisement