Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running scared....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

I saw that you had finished in one of your posts alright, great news, delighted for you :) I don't have the internet at home so tend to just scan through quickly when I get back to internet land in Galway....I'd hate to miss how everyone was getting on! :pac:

You are doing the relay in Cork, no? Wish I hadn't singed up for mini-marathon now and had known about this instead....it would have been fun, sounds great!

Best of luck for Sunday, will send you some good vibes :):D Will be away from t'internet again till Sun so will look forward to your update :) Enjoy!

Was in crappy form today so decided to take it out on the roads. Did 6.2 miles in 1 hour 5 min 44 s....only 4 min 16s faster than I finished the mini last year after virtually no training and a run half-walk half approach :eek::confused: baah (10.36 pace)

Still, how bad, lots of time for improvement, I think I read 30 weeks to go somewhere....On a positive note, I was capable of running-ok jogging- non stop for 6.2 miles, which I certainly couldn't do a few months ago...and without getting out of breath either. :p

Planning a bit of a session on Sat night so decided to shift the long run to tonight as I didn't want to skip it on Sun. Onwards and upwards anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

McConkey wrote: »
    On a positive note, I was capable of running-ok jogging- non stop for 6.2 miles, which I certainly couldn't do a few months ago...and without getting out of breath either. :p

That was the main achievement you should be taking out of this run! Just being able to keep going for that distance is great :D Don't worry about the times, they'll come along eventually...

3.04 miles Thurs again. Felt bloody slow after the 6.2 miles the night before but as it happens got around in 30 min 26 s (10.01 pace) which is relatively fast for me.

Nothing since unfortunately due to nights out/bad weather and dinner at a friends house last night. Starting the Hal Higdon half marathon training tomorrow, today being a rest day.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Good going, especially on getting the 6-miler done :)

Which half are you doing?

• Advertisement

Hi Rainbow, hope all's well there-was just checking out HMs pictures :eek::eek: those blisters!! :eek:

Signed up for the half in Achill a few weeks ago, read on here since that it's similar to Connemarathon in terms of terrain so not sure what I was thinking :confused: That's the 4th of July, I had been thinking about Longford half but I kinda wanted to guage my training for Dublin (all going to plan) a little sooner than Longford.

Itwas expensive to sign up, E66 :( cos we'll have to get accomodation too but sure it's my first one and needed to see if I have any chance of coping with the full Dublin-if I manage that I can be more picky next year :)

Yeah, those feet look scary :eek:

Good luck with the half, I'm thinking of doing the one in Clontarf that Eoin Ryan's organising, it's about a week before yours. Achill in July sounds really nice though, once the weather holds up! Are you following any specific plan for this one?

Achill in July sounds really nice though, once the weather holds up! Are you following any specific plan for this one?

Ha Ha, funnily enough I was posing a similar question re the weather and Summer half marathons in your log as you posted this:pac: We've been out in the biting snow and freezing cold so hopefully we'll be ok...we have no PB to beat here;)

I missed c. 60 miles out of the Spring Training due to that injury but since I managed the 6.2 miles (well I added the .2 to mimic a 10k) that was the final day of Spring training I said feck it I'll just continue on to the next plan. I hope I don't regret it later but there is no way to get those running miles back now without increasing by too many miles/day and risking more injury-been reading about sticking to 10% or less weekly milage increases.

Took me a few minutes to figure out what the hell I had done on my running plan there-Going with Hal Higdons Novice half but what I've done is lopped off the first two weeks of the plan due to working backwards from DCM 09 date and sandwiching the Novice half between the Spring Training and Full Marathon training programs....if that makes any sense :confused:

McConkey wrote: »
    We've been out in the biting snow and freezing cold so hopefully we'll be ok...
    Whatever doesn't kill us only makes us stronger! Apart from heat. If it's 30C that week we're fooked. :pac:

So true....but chances are its more likely to be raining/cloudy/windy/snowing than 30C judging by the last couple of years :pac::pac::pac: though the fact that I've just typed that means that I can now, with 99% certainty predict record breaking temperatures in Cork on the 1/6/09 and Achill on the 4/7/09!!

*heads off to the weather forecasting/predictions forum*

Think it was only about 22C in Dublin on mini-marathon day last year and even then I was suffering a bit from the heat, as were most people I spoke to afterwards...

• Advertisement

Jesus, tough running out there tonight!! Wind is blowing a gale down from Lough Corrib, though at least the rain has stopped.

3.5 miles was the prescription tonight but got in 4.02 according to the garmin. Went out nice and fast clocking 9.42 min for the first mile (that's good for me :o) Wind picked up about 3/4 of the way into that mile.

Turned to go up my big hill and about 1/4 of the way up had to slow to a walk, cap almost blew away at this point and had to set up the head light for a dark part of the road so clocked 11.43 min for mile 2. Very windy by now.

Mile 3 was a 9.52 and the next 0.5 mile was 5.06. Was running straight into the wind so decided to just turn and run the opposite direction :o Stopped for 30s after hitting the 3.5 mile mark then off home which was another 0.52 miles in 5.47 which included walking up a hill into the wind!

So overall 36.23 min for the 3.5 miles and 42.10 for the 4.02 miles with a pace of 10min 23s/mile

8-4-09 2.6 miles 9.53 min/mile
    10-4-09 4.43 miles 9.49 min/mile
    12-4-09 4 miles 9.53 min/mile
    13-4-09 Rest day
    14-4-09 Another rest day as my knees are a total mess...don't know what has happened them so going to rest them slightly!

Stopped for a min or so over the course of these runs so the pace is probably slightly off as I stopped the watch when I took breathers-didn't want to push it too hard after stoping the ciggies.

I didn't smoke from Thurs to Mon but had three last night :( No cravings or anything since though so will try stay off them. Cold turkey btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Keep up the fight against the cigarettes!

Thanks! :) Definately going to try cfitz...I don't really seem to miss them so far-except after a few drinks-which I don't do too often thankfully.

Will have to keep a record of how this is going in my log now too-I find guilt very motivating :o

My knees are wrecked, don't know what's wrong with them. Have taken the last couple of days off as well and taking 3x2 nurofen a day for the last three days just for them to be ok for walking around.

Both knees are sore in the same way so its not an injury as such...I would say its probably the result of road training and jarring the joints. Got some glucosamine and chondroiton and going to rest them.

Was all set to head out tonight for 5.5 miles, got dressed for it, ran about a min to the top of the estate and straight back. Was barely able to move above walking pace so decided it was better to rest them for another few days. Not that happy about it tho :(

Three more days off since :( Left knee much improved, right knee still sore, even when lying down.

Called into Elverys for some gait analysis and saw that I'm only a slight pronator and 'almost' neutral though my main pair of runners are for pronators (Asics 2130s-no analysis). My possible theory then is that since I've been wearing these runners almost constantly for the last couple of months that this may be why my knees are sore. I don't know for sure but got a decent pair of regular shoes-not runners! today to see if not being in the offending (on many levels :pac:) runners 18 hours a day will help.

My 2nd pair of runners are Nike zoom structure triax (gait analysis Scotland) which as far as I can see are a shoe for neutral runners, had them a few weeks but only used twice yet. Maybe I should stick to them for longer runs....its all so confusing. The guy in Elverys recommended Asics Nimbus which I see a few people here use, but had none in my size....so I didn't splurge.

Hoping to get out this week even if I just have to walk :(

Still sore in the right knee but walked 2.63 miles today as well as standing for 7 hours at work so tis to be expected I suppose.

Still off the ciggies since holy Thurs too (update for cfitz :) so hopefully that sticks, it would be easy to go back on them since I am annoyed about not being able to run. Turning 29 next Friday too so it will be an easy week of rest before hopefully getting back at it hell for leather the following weekend, all going well with the knee :)

First day back after the sore knee episode, was tentatively planning a 6.2 miler but after a few miles decided it would be better kept for another day and pulled in, a little sore in the legs, after 3.2 miles (was supposed to be a 4 mile today).

Av pace 10.2/mile max 8.22/mile
    Av hr 177 bpm max 191

Again, as of late, had to stop a few times for breathers, and walk up a pretty severe hill (3-4 min). Came home purple faced due to the warm day.

Woken up at 5 this morning by the sore knee so took two nurofen and back to sleep. Was a two miler on the books for today so despite the sore knee decided to head out. Bought one of those base layers with a voucher I got as a present and I have to say, they are quite cosy...didn't need any coat even though it was raining on and off.

Stuck on my old knee support before heading out and was glad of it. Was a bit sore all the way round but did 2.5 miles of a run with no stops and another 0.25 miles of a walk after finishing. Iced knee for a bit, it was quite hot and sore after running. Two more nurofen and I think I'll head to bed shortly to rest it up.

Currently, I'm blaming the Nike runners, but if it continues to be sore then I'll have to get back to a physio I suppose :(

Mile 1: 10 min 5 sec 173 bpm
    Mile 2: 9 min 40 sec 183 bpm
    last half mile at 9 min 32 sec pace 189 bpm

I was reading the heart rate zone threads today and something tells me I shouldn't be exercising at 100% of my max heart rate...if anybody has any opinions on this-as I don't fully understand the concept, then please feel free to post here and thanks

Back to the running today after a few more painful days :( Bought Athlete insoles which I used today and found them nice and comfortable. Back in my Asics again so hopefully I'll get back to normal soon after the painful Nike exercise.

I managed to try on a pair of size 8 and size 9 Nimbus through Elvery's in the Eyre Square Shopping centre and have decided that the 8.5 is the way to go...but I don't think they can get them in so I might order from amphibian King website at some point.

5.5 miles today, 4 mile run in 39 min 30s and then a further 1.5 mile walk. Knees are feeling ok so plan on another ramble tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done McConkey, good to see you back on track. Fingers crossed it stays that way:)

Thanks Bally8, hopefully will get a few weeks in before the next problem...there's always some niggle :pac::pac: I know you know what I'm talking about.....was starting to think I had done something like you to the knees initially but I am confident after a couple of runs back in my trusty Asics that the lack of gel in my Nikes was the issue.

So that was a big fat waste of 80 pounds for me :( If anybody who is lighter on their feet with neutral gait fancies trying out these Nike runners (specs above somewhere, mens size 8 UK) then feel free to PM me....shame to waste them, otherwise will be an incentive to head to Connemara next year and donate them to that guy that was collecting runners for Africa this year.

Due to a combination of nervousness about the knees, bad weather and sheer laziness (mostly this one), I did not get out for a run yesterday :( By the way cfitz, I'm still off the fags, rarely think about them now :) except after a few drinks :o but then I rarely do that anymore either :D

I've run over 135 miles this year (even after being out for weeks with the knees and the torn arch-not many miles to some, but ya know...), ....the fact that I've stayed at it is due mainly to everybody here and their posts and logs (and the dreaded 1000 mile challenge). Usually I wouldn't bother going out after the second day and that would be the end of the running fad but I think this place is actually invaluable for advice and motivation and I'm very grateful. So any lurkers out there, seriously, sign up, get yourself a training log and get out there.... it makes it a WHOLE lot easier :pac:

Anyway, tonight was a slight disaster, garmin died after 6 odd minutes...but did 3.85 miles (map my run) in 37 min 30 s or 9 min 44/mile....I thought I was booting it....but not really obviously :D Ah well! Had 4.5 miles planned but since I had no watch and no idea of the distance of my loop that went out the window. I shall make it up on tomorrows three mile....perhaps!

Three miles on the books for today but figured I better catch up on the bit I missed yesterday so did 4 miles in about 40 mins, in the wind and rain :( 4.5 miles planned for tomorrow

Thurs too wet and windy....went on the Friday rest day instead.

just over 6.6 miles on the treadmill on Fri....was gunning for 7 but had to head home with my lift then....knees felt fairly good the next day.

Had some thing on Sat so missed cross training and missed today too so will go out tomorrow on my rest day again

Well didn't make it out yesterday either but since I find it hard to train during the day ie. if there is any heat at all in it I decided to head out for a long run (for me) in the heat at 2 pm.

As usual found the going quite difficult in the heat but when there was a breeze it was ok. Need to start doing a few runs in the heat I think....to learn how to not cave in.

Covered 6.77 miles in a run and walk-about 50:50 due to large hills and heat :o

From the DCM mentored log:

So the yasoos didn't quite go according to plan....a mixture of having blood taken yesterday, not eating early enough, heat and having to head to work....so I will head out in the evening when I've more time next time redface.gif

Anyway, as with the normal runs for me it started off ok but then was sliding back in the times so advice would be appreciated here.
    Anyway only managed four so it wasn't a great session but hopefully it'll improve from here.

So from previous posts I stuck to then inside lane of the track and did the following splits
    1)4.02
    2)4.04
    3)4.07
    4)4.10
    walked a lap of the track for each break between each two laps.
    Anyway are we supposed to be going flat out? I think I'll have to build up to the full 10, in the heat I found it tough going. Will give them a bash again soon-it is much harder than getting out for a regular run though.

Update on the past week....wed, thurs nothing......rain

Friday 6.2 miles
    Sat 8.6 mile walk
    Sun nothing
    Monday 2.75 mile run

Mini marathon next Mon so might do 6 tomorrow, 3 Wed, 3 thurs and then take a few days off.....might change though

Good luck with the mini-marathon :)

jesus Rainbow....ninja post.....you scared me :):D

You running in Cork...how're you fixed?

• Advertisement

Should be grand, as far as I know I'm running a 6.4 mile leg. Will shoot for a time of around an hour for that. I'm sloooooow :p

Advertisement