Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running scared....

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭McConkey

Well I'm hoping to drop below the hour this year....so you are still faster than me :) Best of luck with it, if I hadn't signed up for the race which can not be mentioned I'd love to had gone down for this.

Who are you running with....I don't have internet as often as I used to at the moment and am loosing track of all the logs and stickies etc

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm running it with blind_hurler, Funkyzeit and RoyMcC. Should be fun :)

I'm jealous....would love to be meeting up with a few from boards.....remember back a few weeks ago we were talking about the weather for 2nd June....I think it just might be bloody warm :( I'm screwed :eek: Can't run in the heat at all

Haha, I can't either. I got quite sunburnt on a 9-mile run in the sun yesterday - and I seem to have developed more freckles overnight too :mad:

Well 5 miles today in the rain and drizzle....ran about 3 miles and walked about 2....haven't been eating too well lately and getting hungry a couple of miles into the run kills me. Anyway was just short of 58 min for the five miles.

Need to get straightened out on my plan and that again....it's gotten a bit lax and I'm struggling a bit. Even bought a box of ciggies last Fri and smoked them all :o:mad::(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

McConkey if you're a student (or staff) at NUI, G there's a 5k or 10k fun run on 9th June... might be good for the auld motivation!

Thanks littlebug....at the moment I'm neither I'm afraid as I haven't paid my registration fees this year....yet.:o I have the mini marathon on this Monday so hopefully I'll have my ass in gear for that one. Have the Achill half in a months time too but I just can't seem to settle into my plan at the moment, once Monday is over maybe I'll be able to focus better then, thanks for the suggestion though

Well, no Mini marathon for me today in the end :( Due to unforseen circumstances didn't make it to Dublin and instead immersed myself in the celebrations of the Volvo Ocean Race in Galway.....keeping myself well hydrated with vodka and OJ and Bulmers for the weekend....you can't be too careful in this heat! :D

Theres a great buzz around the place and it seemed a bit pointless driving all the way to Dublin on my own to run in the heat as my running buddy wasn't able to make it.

The downside is that I've just realised it's 4 weeks to my half marathon and I have only run 6.2-7 ish miles.....what to do? :eek: I can't keep paying for and pulling out of races :( How do I fix this, I need a plan

You could try doing it Galloway-style, with run-walk intervals. I'm starting to get the same fear myself though, 27 26 days to mine and my longest run has been 9 miles. I'm planning to go 10 - 11 - 8 - 13.1 on the 4 Sundays in June, though I'm not sure if topping out at 11 miles is the best of ideas...

Where is your half RK? Well done on the run today....am in the middle of catching up on the logs at the moment.....you're some woman to run in that heat....remember we warned everybody months ago it would be a scorcher :pac:

I think I'll have to walk some bits as it sounds quite hilly but am hoping to run as much as possible....I started a thread looking for some advice so hopefully a couple of the running gurus here might pick it up and have some suggestions cos I know I've left it a bit late :o I'm not sure what the best thing to do is :confused:

• Advertisement

My half is on June 28. Right now, I'm half way between looking forward to it and being petrified of it...

Well, with less than a month to go to the Achill half, I am feeling like I have an awful long way to go! Started a thread on how best to move from 10 k to 13.1 miles which is kinda where I am and where I need to be in a months time :confused: Got a few interesting tips on routes and training and so headed off today to do at least 6 miles.

I have to say, one poster was telling me how I should slow down a little on the run in order to be able to go further and even though I see people talking here all the time about LSRs I felt that I would be walking if I went any slower but I said I'd give it a bash today and stuck to about 30s slower pace to what I normally would push myself to and it was great....so cheers for that:)

I covered 9 miles in 1h 35min so adding another 4.1 miles to todays total doesn't look so hard after all....considering I was able to add three miles to my longest run so far, without feeling any worse at the end of it. I also found that I was able to run for 7.5 miles without stopping and when I did slow I continued walking for a half mile and then ran the last mile again. So nothing is impossible it seems :)

My heart rate started off at a nice 168 bpm and averaged about 184 so still way higher than other peoples LSRs but lower than my usual. Hadn't run since the Tues before the mini marathon either...so onwards and upwards:D

Still finding it hard to settle back into the running again and had a couple of days off since Sat long run.

Anyway back tonight for a short 2 miler which took 29.30 approx so that'll do Might try for a long run again tomorrow

Well the long run didn't happen...but planning on doing it tomorrow :)

Did 5 miles on a warm Thursday evening which was fine and another 4.75 miles on the treadmill Fri evening in the gym....which nearly killed me.

Over the 200 mile mark now so must keep plugging away...:o

My hoped for 11 mile run on Sunday came up a bit short due to the battery running out in my garmin just before I set off. Had a running buddy for the first 4.5 miles which was great but popped in for some water at that point and was chasing for the rest of the run ;)

Had to walk a little after drinking the whole bottle of water but finished up at 9.4 miles, kinda knew I was short as I felt like I had another couple of miles in me. Woke up last night with a pain in my heel again....same as the torn arch kind of pain I had previously so I'll have to watch that closely as Achill is only a couple of weeks away now. Was going to try a couple of miles tonight but I'll leave it for tonight and see how the pain is tomorrow:confused:

Well no running for the past week due to sore arch again....going to test it out shortly on a 3 miler....writing it down now so I'll have to go :o

Dragged myself out for three miles anyway....will need to take some ibuprofen I'd say, the legs were a bit sore, particularly the heel on my right foot...hoping it'll stay together for the half marathon.

The heat nearly killed me, thank God Dublin is in October...

Fairly slow due to the leg problems but 31min 59s for 3.04 miles (10.32/mile pace) Average HR 177 bpm.

From the DCM novice thread: Feel like I'm slipping here already....only got 2x3.1 miles in last week and another 3.1 miles tonight. Worried about my right leg again, tight and painful right ankle area and I'm more than a bit worried about the half marathon on Sat in Achill. Will be a slow one for me I'm afraid....petrified that the arch in my foot will tear again eek.gif for now, I'm icing it again and have started with the ibuprofen, in the hope that that and some stretches will keep the arch in one piece. Four miles/3 miles tomorrow then 2 Wed then rest on Thurs and drive to Achill Fri....please God let it rain on Sat morning....pretty please

Since my last post on last Monday, where I was paniced about torn arches etc things settled down, though not before a nasty stomach bug kicked in.

Did 3 miles Tues evening, had no energy for the 4th mile so got home after 3. Woke up on Wed with a dodgy stomach which lasted all day and into Thurs and kept me out of work on Wed. Nothing much to eat those two days meant that I was now even more stressed about my chances of lining out in Achill but figured I'd go up anyway to support if nothing else and my plan was to start, get around as much as I could of the course and then head back to the start line to watch the finishers.

Had some pasta on Fri to try and get a bit of life back in the legs and drove from Ennis to Achill Fri night feeling pretty drained. Leg muscles burning with even climbing the stairs. Lovely drive to Achill, I must say it's a fine part of the country. Registered, then checked into the hotel and headed to bed around 12.30 am still unsure as to whether I'd be partaking in the mornings race.

Woke up 7.15 am, in a vile mood after dreaming that SunnySideUp (poster here and good friend :) ) who I was sharing a room with had gone off and run the race and not bothered to shake me a second time to get me up for the race....thought it was 4pm in the evening! :pac: Apparently she also dreamt we had missed the race.....must be the standard pre-race jitters. :o

Showered and headed for breakfast, which I usually don't bother with but had lovely porridge with honey (choice of made with milk/water...very organised :) ) juice, banana, grapes, yoghurt and toast. Back to the room then to chill before heading down to the race. Stomach was still a bit dodge after the sickness Wed-Thurs...with the opposite problem to the initial illness-enough said-so I was hoping that wouldn't come back to haunt me during the race. Nice morning for running anyway, pretty overcast, nice little breeze and threat of showers....just what I'd hoped for. Race was about 10 min late getting under way but no biggie....everyone was in good form:)

Gun went off and we headed out the road for the first mile....pretty flat, this then began a climb for about 2.5ish miles where we could see the crowds ahead snaking up the road before us (daunting). Have to say, was finding it a little hard to pace myself for the first couple of miles but tried to let people pass me as I felt I was only there for a few miles and wouldn't manage the whole 13.1. Left arch was sore after 2.6 miles so decided to test it out by walking up the hill after the water station and if I was able to continue running after that then I made a deal with myself that I'd just walk the hills where necessary and try to finish the race. Next we came to a bit of downhill c. 0.5 miles and took a left turn into some glorious and most welcome mist. Water stations were frequent and well manned during the race so fair play to the organisers for that:)

Aside from some small climbs then, it was mostly flat or down hill to 6 miles....at this point I felt totally drained, hungry and ready to stop but since we were now at the point almost furthest from the start/finish area I decided it was prudent to continue for another while :p Started eating fruit pastilles about here as the lack of food for 2 of the 3 days before the race was really showing its effect now. Covered the first 6 miles in 1 hour 2 min.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Cora/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Cora/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG]Another climb then from mile 7.5-8.5 and a lot of people in my area were just walking the hills at this point, we'd trade places with each other on short jogs followed by more walking and I kept myself occupied by passing and then being passed by a selection of runners including purple t-shirt guy, red t-shirt guy, Donemede running club girl, green t-shirt girl, Morgan Freeman look alike guy.....all of us scrambling on in fits and starts. Spoke briefly with a few people along the way, handed out a few fruit pastilles and ran a mile with a girl from Cavan who drove down that morning. It got hot about then....tar was starting to melt...runners who dressed for the rain....started to melt:eek:

Mile 9 was a climb from sea level to 185 ft followed by a drop to 90 ft and a climb back again to 175 ft...just to finish you off :p
    Purple shirt guy was struggling a bit at the top of one hill so as I caught up with him I tipped him on the shoulder, he was about to decline my offer of a sweet but thought better of it, took it and I continued on. A few min later he tipped me on the shoulder as he went past, gave a thumbs up and shot off, I believe he finished about 8 min ahead of me so he must have had plenty in the tank if it wasn't for the big hills.

At 10.5 miles we dropped from 175 ft to -25 ft below sea level and 11.5 to 12.5 miles was another more gentle climb. At 11.5 miles my legs went tingly and then numb....new to me :) We were looking down on Keel all the time for the last few miles....how something can seem so close and so far away at the same time is crazy....Anyway, actually finished the half marathon in a time of 2 hours 28 min (chip time), passed Donemede running club girl a few feet before the line.....had to wait till then as I had nothing in the tank for if she tried to pass me again....childish games! :pac: Didn't have another ounce in me and barely remember finishing...let alone to smile for the picture or stop my watch:o

Fair play to the orgainsers, the people manning the water stations, the other competitors, the locals for getting out and cheering (despite the fact that they'd swear blind that this was the last hill now....every time) to the guys with the signs offering piggy backs etc, thanks for the laughs :p Have to say, lovely people, lovely place, good craic in the pubs that night....I'd recommend this as a first half marathon cos if you can get through this hilly hell of a half....anything else will seem easy :cool:

Some stats from Achill:

Distance (miles) 13.14

Elevation Gain (ft)+1,984 / -1,963

Ascent 0:58:07 (39.0%) Descent 0:57:55 (38.9%) Flat 0:32:57 (22.1%)

Av Low High
    Heart Rate (%max)100 72 106
    Heart Rate (zone) 6.0 3.2 7.6
    Heart Rate (bpm) 185 133 196

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Well done mcConkey, that was a really good performace, especially since you have struggled with your arch in training. 6 miles in 1:02 in particular is very good, you'll cruise your next 10k in a sub 60.

You should be able to really build on this for the big one, so get stuck into your training for the next few weeks, and you'll be flying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

great stuff Mc Conkey.. very well done! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭beamgirl

congrats, i'd say you feel great to have it under your belt!

OK time to get my game together have had a hopeless couple of weeks since Achill, with only 7 miles added to the tally.

Have signed up and paid for DCM so onwards and upwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Great to hear you are back McConkey best of luck with the DCM training

Cheers Bally8 :) Trying to stick with it now is the next thing. You are going well anyway

First run up was 5 miles on the treadmill Thurs night and to be honest even though I've been so tired the last few weeks and sat in the car for about 10 min debating whether or not to go in, I definately felt more energised after the run than I have in weeks :) Was still tired but felt better.

Next up was 2.8 miles Fri night (a little short of the 3 due to having to meet friends) and 3.1 miles including 5x 100m strides (interesting :) ) at the track on Sat. Kept my long run for today (Mon) and due to having to head to work did 8.53 miles rather than 10. So a little short of my target for the week but not too bad in the first week back I suppose :)

Just have to keep at it now I suppose:o Paid for the marathon and all now so barring injury I have to keep at it....might add the 1.5 miles short this weeks to next weeks lsr.

Ran the 5 mile streets of Galway Saturday night, great evening for it. Weather was great but the queue at the water station and the small amounts of water they were managing to get into the cups at the slower end of the race was slightly disappointing.

Finished up in 48.04 chip time, but since I was out late with some visiting friends the night before for a few drinks was happy enough with that...almost 10 min faster than last year overall

From the 4.30 thread.....Decided to get my 7 miler out of the way today as with work this week as well as a trip to Belfast on the weekend wanted to get the miles in early. I don't think I've ever struggled as much....sore feet, thought I was going to be physically sick and had to walk about half of the seven miles, wastoo painful to run. I suppose the tough days make the other days more bearable....roll on tomorrow redface.gif

Struggling with the hip again, it seems to roll in the joint so hopefully it'll have settled again tomorrow :(

Advertisement