Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crisp & teabags into Oz

Options
  • 14-01-2009 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hey there folks

Can I take crisps and teabags through customs without declaring them?

Flying Melbourne via Sydney.

Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i'm pretty sure you can't, you have to declare any food, they're REALLY strict on this and will fine the jaysus out of you if they catch you with food.
    By the way, you can buy crisps and tea here you know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

As far as I know if its commercially produced and packaged they are good to go. I would declare it anyway. They will most definitely take a quick look at at it and tell you its fine. If its loose and it looks like it just came off a plant expect to get a rap over the knuckles and have it taken off you. The Irish Times (where a group of us Boardies are meeting this Friday) sell Irish tea and chippies but are a bit on the expensive side.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭coralcathy

thanks folks.

not for me taking for friends .......:p

Tell them to get themselves down to The Irish Times. They sell Bewleys tea and Tayto.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

what about lyons tea? though i think i still have enough here to keep me going a couple months...

yeah, OP, basically on the card, they ask all the different categories, i know in the dairy category, if i have chocolate, ill always just tick 'yes', they'll ask what i have, i tell them and they let me keep it and move on, so dont worry about declaring it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would think unopened crisps are OK, but I'm not so sure about tea.
    If in doubt, declare them and the worst that can happen is they'll say no you can't take that. Much worse to not declare them and then have them discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

Declare the tea, at least. They got a bit funny with me when I brought some from England, they had to check the ingredients on the computer, as some tea is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Keep the packages sealed, and declare them at customs. They'll mostly be fine as LONG AS YOU TELL THEM. I brought a few bottles of artisan vinagrette's in last time and they didn't care a fig because I'd queued at customs for an hour to tell them I had them.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Hey coralcathy

That shouldn't be a problem. I've brought such things as Irish bread and cheese into Oz . They had a great laugh with me saying “We do have bread and cheese here to” . My reply was "But it doesn't taste any thing like this".

Just make sure you declare you have food on the landing card. Customs aren't as bad as everyone says. If you’re honest with them they will be ok with you. It’s when you try to hide stuff and they find it then things can be bad. Ireland is on a list that most things are ok coming from here as log as they are in their sealed packaging.

Check out What I Can't take into Australia

Also another option is to check out for Irish things in Oz is

Tasteireland.com.au

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

i was stopped with a sports bag that had nothing but king/meanies and lyons

they just gave me a warning and told me i could of been fined and let me go through...

i guess it depends but you won't get them though the scanners so they will be found it's just a case of will they do anything about it or not some will some wont

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Customs are pretty cool over here yet they do have their head switched on.

I came through and had a suitcase full of prescription drugs (thank you thailand) and I declared them on a card they gave me on the plane.

Unfortunately the card says something like 'Have you got any firearms, narcotics or medicines" so reluctantly I ticked the box. After being processed with my Visa I was approached by security and I told them they were prescription medicines for an ear infection and a few other drugs like Neurofen. I just said I'd rather declare it so I wasn't breaking any laws.

They were cool with it and didn't even open my suitcase.

Oh I've also sent teabags and crisps through the mail, they opened a pack and resealed it but it got through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

My advise is declare them.

They don't mind you making a mistake and bringing something in that you shouldn't once you declare it.

If you don't declare and they find out they get pissed and can fine you. Not nice when you just arrive.

So keep them easily accessible i.e on top of one of your bags. So you can show them if asked.

I know crisps are fine as we brought some on our trip and declared them. I don't know about tea, but I presume once it is store bought and therefore has been processed properly there won't be a problem.

Once again. DECLARE! Watch an episode of Border Patrol (on Living) to see how serious they are about these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Just for anyone who hasn't seen the incoming passenger cards here they are

passenger%20card.jpg

Front of incoming Passenger Card

passenger%20card%20back.jpg

Back of incoming Passenger card

Both can be downloaded from Customs

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

As said above, just declare them and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Actually, on that note, anybody flying into Australia - bring your own pen. That way you can complete a bunch of the required entry paperwork on the plane yourself instead of having to wait for a pen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

coralcathy wrote: »
    Hey there folks

Can I take crisps and teabags through customs without declaring them?

Flying Melbourne via Sydney.

Thanks in advance:)

Why would you want to do that when you can buy them at

http://www.tasteireland.com.au/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Miss No Name

I have found that if you tick the 'declare' box your queue can be less than if you have nothing to declare. I brought cheese over from New Zealand and I was so nervous going through customs, I felt like waving my form around and telling everyone in a uniform that I was declaring food - please don't arrest me. :o
    I've obviously watched WAY too much TV!:p

But it was find - they barely even looked at it and just sent me through skipping the xray machine. Talking to people afterwards and they told me that they sometimes buy food on purpose in order to declare in order to skip the long 'nothing to declare' queues.

Great tip Miss No Name.

Have a cookie! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Sammag

You're mad to be bringing any Irish crisps of tea into Oz - not for the customs issue but most can be bought here either online or direct from a plethora of the UK and Irish food stores which are now very common over here. I spent a small fortune on buying silly sweets, chocolate and crisps before Xmas online only to find there is a store bigger than your average Spar 3 KM from my house in Melbourne CBD - operating for the 3 years I have been down under. (Man did I stock up on Bacon and scampi Fries!:D).

They have everything - any choco bar or packet of Taytos/Walkers/Smiths. They have Odlums quick bread mix packets etc and a gazillion other foods from 'home' readily available here. That aforementioned http://www.tasteireland.com.au even sells Irish White pudding/sausages and dairy goods like Kerrygold butter and the ilk which they deliver straight to your door in a matter of 24 hours if the recipient in based in metro Sydney. Spend your money on something your mates genuinely can't buy here.

yeah, but they're not usually exactly all that cheap ^
    and not everyone can buy stuff online.

• Advertisement

yeah, but they're not usually exactly all that cheap ^
    and not everyone can buy stuff online.

I was buying my stuff in my local corner shop in Croydon Sydney, It was supplied by tatse of Ireland and yes it is expensive but we only bought for special occasions.

Better than someone bringing Tayto in their suitcase and is in **** by the time you get to Australia.

well i could take or leave the tayto... lyons teabags are an essential part of most of my days. and i did bring them over to nz, and oz, with no problems once i declared it was just normal teabags in there.

well i could take or leave the tayto... lyons teabags are an essential part of most of my days. and i did bring them over to nz, and oz, with no problems once i declared it was just normal teabags in there.

some real Irish pubs sell Irish tea bags under the counter, I kid you not

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

What is it about the irish ye all head over 2 OZ for a few months and cant live without Barrys or Tayto grow up will ye.. Im Irish and lived in OZ for 2 years and have to say i was embarrassed by the Irish over there. I lived with 4 irish over in OZ and one of them had Barry's Tea sent over from Ireland so i said ill make the tea. Went into the Kitchen and made 4 cups of tea with australian lipton tea came out and said theres 4 cups of barrys tea for ye.... Did they say thats not barry's???? no all i heard was OOOO YAAAA ive missed that mmmmmm thats a real cup of tea i had 2 go into the bathroom 2 laugh my ass off... summed up the irish in OZ to perfection for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

otto_26 wrote: »
    What is it about the irish ye all head over 2 OZ for a few months and cant live without Barrys or Tayto grow up will ye.. Im Irish and lived in OZ for 2 years and have to say i was embarrassed by the Irish over there. I lived with 4 irish over in OZ and one of them had Barry's Tea sent over from Ireland so i said ill make the tea. Went into the Kitchen and made 4 cups of tea with australian lipton tea came out and said theres 4 cups of barrys tea for ye.... Did they say thats not barry's???? no all i heard was OOOO YAAAA ive missed that mmmmmm thats a real cup of tea i had 2 go into the bathroom 2 laugh my ass off... summed up the irish in OZ to perfection for me!

My girlfriend tried that on me once with own brand Tesco cornflakes....needless to say her plan did not work:rolleyes:

Thats funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

summed up the irish in OZ to perfection for me!

Lying ****ers who promise you Barrys but serve you Lipton ****... :mad:

I did laugh though very good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

See that wouldn't happen with Lyons tea because Lipton and Barry's tea both taste like sh*te, Lyons is very nice.
    Put any food through the post, make sure to declare it on the customs declaration label and it'll be fine. I sent over a box of stuff on my last trip to Ireland.
    If you buy Irish stuff from Irish shops online here it'll cost a fortune for the smallest box of tea, not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

We bring crisps and teabags into Australia every year. Just declare them. They seem to be used to the teabags in Perth, they just asked my mother were they Lyons.

Make sure you pack your food items somewhere they are easy to access because they will want to see them. Declare everything and you will have no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

What is it about the irish ye all head over 2 OZ for a few months and cant live without Barrys or Tayto grow up will ye.. Im Irish and lived in OZ for 2 years and have to say i was embarrassed by the Irish over there.

You you bring up a 2 year old thread to rant about barrys tea and how you are embarrassed over people liking tea ... :confused:

Advertisement