Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crisp & teabags into Oz

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Sorry to drag this up again but is there any shops in Melbourne selling Irish goods. In particular chef brown sauce.
    I know of taste Ireland website but don't fancy paying 15 dollars delivery for a bottle of sauce.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You can buy brown sauce in Safeway (Woolworths). I can get both YR and HP sauce over in Safeway or Coles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Seen that, but its no chef :p
    Wouldn't mind a few Lyons either. Just i know there was a few shops about Sydney that sold stuff. Haven't noticed any in Melbourne yet

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

hussey wrote: »
    You you bring up a 2 year old thread to rant about barrys tea and how you are embarrassed over people liking tea ... :confused:

I didn't rant about barry's tea or am I embarrassed about people liking tea :rolleyes:

I ranted about how paddies go to oz for a few months and talk rubbish about how much they miss irish tea. Pretending they like barry's tea!!

What difference does it make about how old a thread is?? are there time limits or something! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

otto_26 wrote: »
    I didn't rant about barry's tea or am I embarrassed about people liking tea :rolleyes:

I ranted about how paddies go to oz for a few months and talk rubbish about how much they miss irish tea. Pretending they like barry's tea!!

What difference does it make about how old a thread is?? are there time limits or something! :rolleyes:

2 years first time around and this time 5 months, at least your getting faster!

If no one has posted in a Thread in two years (or even 5 months) its safe to say the thread is dead. You are commenting on opinions given by people ages ago and there opinion may have changed.

Nothing wrong with missing the things you grew up with and the mind is a powerful thing what you caused by saying it was Barry's and giving them another brand is the placebo effect. Plus I don't remember the taste of barrys its been that long since I've had it now, so if someone told me it was Barry's and gave me Lipton I would accept that they hadn't been a dick and gave me what they said they would.

I hate Irish people being refereed to as "paddies" its an ethnic slur. Im Irish I'm not a Paddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you don't like Barrys tea thats fine. But why do you care if somebody else does?
    I go to the shops and have the option of Barrys or Lipton or whatever, I don't mind paying the tiny amount extra for Barrys because I prefer it. Just like any other food or drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Doc wrote: »

I hate Irish people being refereed to as "paddies" its an ethnic slur. Im Irish I'm not a Paddy.
    Thanks Paddy for highlighting that, will try to keep it in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

How is it rubbish? I'm not a big fan of Barry's Tea, don't see much difference between it and the Liptons ones marked as "Irish Breakfast", however I do miss Lyons Gold Blend.

If I feel like a really good cup of tea, I would often drive to wherever I can get it because it is what I like and what I want.

I often wonder why people come to the other side of the world and spend their year in an Irish pub. I don't do it, but it is not my place to judge anybody who does. However every now and again I love to do it.

Who are you to judge how people keep their links to home? However tedious you think they are or not? Me? I like to make proper bacon and cabbage now and again or go to an Irish pub and get a big dinner that reminds me of home. It gives me that warm fuzzy feeling and nothing can beat that.

Others like I said like to be surrounded by Irishness and Irish people all the time. And then there are others who think because they don't have anything to do with where they are from then everyone else should act that way too.

Maybe your way of dealing with being away from home is to laugh at other people who like to keep the link to what they grew up with and loved?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Doc

catbear wrote: »

As I said my name is not Paddy and you are not funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

catbear wrote: »

Infraction for this

• Advertisement

Sorry if I offended, I just haven't experienced any abuse in my time in Australia because I'm Irish. If anything it's been a real boon and has opened lots of doors for me. I guess some people have had different experiences.

2 years first time around and this time 5 months, at least your getting faster!

If no one has posted in a Thread in two years (or even 5 months) its safe to say the thread is dead. You are commenting on opinions given by people ages ago and there opinion may have changed.

Ha Ha really this thread is dead is that why your leaving a comment!!:rolleyes:

Well lucky enough if people's options have changed we can all discuss them on this discussion website!!:rolleyes:

I'm sure they will find my comments just like you did! although hard to do if a thread is dead :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with missing the things you grew up with and the mind is a powerful thing what you caused by saying it was Barry's and giving them another brand is the placebo effect.

I was sick of listening to them say wow they missed barry's tea so much and how they can always tell when it's barry's tea they are drinking because they can tell the difference that's why I did what I did :rolleyes:
    Plus I don't remember the taste of barrys its been that long since I've had it now, so if someone told me it was Barry's and gave me Lipton I would accept that they hadn't been a dick and gave me what they said they would.

Why can't Irish people just go travelling to oz and these places for the few months that their there and just enjoy what the place has to offer. Talking rubbish about how the Irish tea, chocolate and crisps are inferior to any other countries. I was sick of it and proved my point with them.

Mellor wrote: »
    If you don't like Barrys tea thats fine. But why do you care if somebody else does?
    I go to the shops and have the option of Barrys or Lipton or whatever, I don't mind paying the tiny amount extra for Barrys because I prefer it. Just like any other food or drink.

I love Barry's tea.

I don't care if someone else likes it.

I care that Irish people who go travelling always have to start talking rubbish about how our Irish tea, chocolate and crisps are inferior to other countries they are not. They claimed Barry's was so nice they could tell the difference that's why I did what I did because they couldn't tell the difference becuase it's just rubbish talk.

In Exile wrote: »
    How is it rubbish? I'm not a big fan of Barry's Tea, don't see much difference between it and the Liptons ones marked as "Irish Breakfast", however I do miss Lyons Gold Blend.

If I feel like a really good cup of tea, I would often drive to wherever I can get it because it is what I like and what I want.

That's great and fair play you like it. My problem is the Irish people claiming Barry's is inferior to other brands just because they like it and it's Irish and how they have to make that point to every single Australian and any other person they meet in oz that's what I thought was rubbish.
    Who are you to judge how people keep their links to home? However tedious you think they are or not? Me? I like to make proper bacon and cabbage now and again or go to an Irish pub and get a big dinner that reminds me of home. It gives me that warm fuzzy feeling and nothing can beat that.

I'm not judging anyone I'm simply saying the Irish crowd I met were always talking about how the Irish products were superior to others because they were Irish brands. That's why I did what I did. And I didn't just find this with one group of Irish they were nearly all talking the same rubbish.
    Others like I said like to be surrounded by Irishness and Irish people all the time. And then there are others who think because they don't have anything to do with where they are from then everyone else should act that way too.

That's fine just can't be listening to the Irish claiming the above.
    Maybe your way of dealing with being away from home is to laugh at other people who like to keep the link to what they grew up with and loved?

I must admit I did find it funny when I heard the O YA THAT'S WHAT I CALL A CUP OF TEA rubbish! we all like to keep the link doesn't mean we need to talk rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I must admit I did find it funny when I heard the O YA THAT'S WHAT I CALL A CUP OF TEA rubbish! we all like to keep the link doesn't mean we need to talk rubbish.

In fairness I thought that was hilarious, the tea is probably from the same plantation anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I love Barry's tea.

I care that Irish people who go travelling always have to start talking rubbish about how our Irish tea, chocolate and crisps are inferior to other countries they are not. They claimed Barry's was so nice they could tell the difference that's why I did what I did because they couldn't tell the difference becuase it's just rubbish talk.
    Dairy milk in aus is NO WAY near as good as dairy milk from Ireland.
    Dairy milk in aus has a higher oil content than that of Ireland. Just read the ingredients
    Just because you cannot tell the difference doesn't mean everyone else cannot either.
    Your i gave them Lipton' test is flawed. If you want to prove it do a blind taste, give them two cups prepared the same way and tell them it's a test.
    It might taste the same when they have no idea they are being tricked but if they know it's a trick at least they can judge for themselves.

I love Barry's tea.

You love Barry's tea, but you say there's no difference????

Just because your friends didn't notice doesn't mean it's rubbish talk. I don't doubt some people can't tell the difference, but I've met lots of people who can. Your story doesnt price anything really.

The chocolate here is very different. Different ingredients. I think its pretty bad. I'd find it strange that you can't tell the difference

You should probably google the word inferior, it doesn't make much sense how you used it.

You love Barry's tea, but you say there's no difference????

Just because your friends didn't notice doesn't mean it's rubbish talk. I don't doubt some people can't tell the difference, but I've met lots of people who can. Your story doesnt price anything really.

The chocolate here is very different. Different ingredients. I think its pretty bad. I'd find it strange that you can't tell the difference

You should probably google the word inferior, it doesn't make much sense how you used it.

Yes love it I also love lyon's tea and lipton tea and any other kind of tea.

My Friends were talking rubbish maybe not other people, but when my friends say they can tell the difference but really can't then they were talking rubbish.

Yes the chocolate does taste different I actually liked the Australian chocolate more, when I suggested this to my friends I was looked at as if I had 2 heads! :rolleyes: that's my problem other nations seem to not even think about it, but Irish people seem to have more of a patriotic feeling towards Irish goods rather then actually liking it more. Well my friends anyway. Pure rubbish.

Dairy milk in aus is NO WAY near as good as dairy milk from Ireland.
    Dairy milk in aus has a higher oil content than that of Ireland. Just read the ingredients
    Just because you cannot tell the difference doesn't mean everyone else cannot either.
    Your i gave them Lipton' test is flawed. If you want to prove it do a blind taste, give them two cups prepared the same way and tell them it's a test.
    It might taste the same when they have no idea they are being tricked but if they know it's a trick at least they can judge for themselves.

Why is it flawed, why do they need to know their being tested for it to be credible? If they can tell the difference then they can tell the difference whether they know they are being tested or not simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Irish people seem to have more of a patriotic feeling towards Irish goods rather then actually liking it more.

Whatever about the rest, this is true.

Fair enough, Irish chocolate to me is a lot creamier and therefore nicer but I don't go all argumentative and nazi when someone says it's just alright.

Same goes for tea, and even then is there really much of a difference between Barry's and whatever breakfast tea is here? Probably not.

There's liking something better and there's being a prick about other people's tastes because they don't happen to crave a can of Club Orange, and I've met plenty of Irish here who are the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Why is it flawed, why do they need to know their being tested for it to be credible? If they can tell the difference then they can tell the difference whether they know they are being tested or not simple.

Your test is a credible test, but your claim that it is all the same is not the result you proved. It tastes all the same when they do not know they are being tested is different because they were not looking for a difference.

If you gave a subject product X and say it is product Y, the subject takes for granted it is product Y and does not look for subtle differences in taste and texture.
    Have a read of it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_blind#Single-blind_trials

But I agree most people don't know the difference, but they have a strong affiliation with memories they had in life, hence a strong brand loyalty. So when someone says this is a cup of Barrys/Lyons a trigger goes off in the brain and you feel a connection.
    If you have memories of coming in the cold and rain and mam making a cup of tea to warm you up. Or the many years of TV ads of lyons and barrys. When someone hands you a cup of lipton or dilmah you don't have that trigger hence your brain interprets it differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭laoisforliam

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Whatever about the rest, this is true.

Fair enough, Irish chocolate to me is a lot creamier and therefore nicer but I don't go all argumentative and nazi when someone says it's just alright.

Same goes for tea, and even then is there really much of a difference between Barry's and whatever breakfast tea is here? Probably not.

There's liking something better and there's being a prick about other people's tastes because they don't happen to crave a can of Club Orange, and I've met plenty of Irish here who are the latter.

While I agree with you that Irish people are very patriotic about produce manafactured in their home country (Not something I personally suscribe to) I argue that this is not a specifically Irish trait.

I find that people from various nations will choose something that they are familiar with as a preference.

IM in WA and one guy upon hearing about Emu exports relocation from the Swan Brewery has stated that he will refuse to drink it in the future as the water it is made with will be different. :D

My Friends were talking rubbish maybe not other people, but when my friends say they can tell the difference but really can't then they were talking rubbish.
    Yeah your friends were talking rubbish (if thats what happened).
    But your attitude was as if everyone is talking rubbish and there's no difference. Which isn't true.
    Yes the chocolate does taste different I actually liked the Australian chocolate more, when I suggested this to my friends I was looked at as if I had 2 heads! :rolleyes: that's my problem other nations seem to not even think about it, but Irish people seem to have more of a patriotic feeling towards Irish goods rather then actually liking it more. Well my friends anyway. Pure rubbish.
    So you like Aus chocolate, but if anybody else doesn't they are being overly patriotic. :rolleyes:
    Someone could just as accuse you of going out of your way to dislike Irish stuff to be anti-irish. Obviously I've no idea if you are or not, but I know people who are like that and I find it bizarre.

I don't think its an Irish thing by the way. Every country is attached to its own food. You'll find Tim-Tams and vegemite in Fallon and Byrne in Dublin with a hefty mark-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

...that's my problem other nations seem to not even think about it, but Irish people seem to have more of a patriotic feeling towards Irish goods rather then actually liking it more.....

That's bs mate. How many Tesco's back home have Polish/Eastern European food sections? I know small towns at home that have 2-3 African and Polish food shops.

In Brunswick/Coburg, where I live, there are countless Middle-Eastern/Mediterranean/Asian food stores, where people buy their favorite brands despite local substitutes being widely available. Irish people are definitely not any worse than most ex-pats I know.

Personally the only thing I miss from home (food/drink wise) is Guinness, but I have found lots of local beers I like so it's not a big concern for me really.

I much prefer the Kiwi Whittakers chocolate over any Irish ones and the only things I miss from Ireland is much cheaper german beers and good quality cheap clothes. Sorry if that offends anyones sensitivities.

BTW, I do believe that strong longings for products particular to home is mostly an emotional need. Getting a good pint of guinness can be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

But your attitude was as if everyone is talking rubbish and there's no difference. Which isn't true.

So you like Aus chocolate, but if anybody else doesn't they are being overly patriotic. :rolleyes:
    Someone could just as accuse you of going out of your way to dislike Irish stuff to be anti-irish. Obviously I've no idea if you are or not, but I know people who are like that and I find it bizarre.

I don't think its an Irish thing by the way. Every country is attached to its own food. You'll find Tim-Tams and vegemite in Fallon and Byrne in Dublin with a hefty mark-up.
    +1
    Most nationalities have an attachment to their native foods whether its taste or nostalgia
    I know Kiwis who bring back their sanitarium marmite because they find it superior to vegemite, recently there was a shortage and some desperate kiwis. They also bring packaged maggi soups and perky nanas.
    Greeks prefer kalamata olives, greek olive oil, mastic and dodoni feta.
    Americans love their Hersheys chocolate and cinnamon gum.
    Italians prefer their italian cheeses and salamis.
    Lebanese like their halawa and cardamom coffee.
    etc. etc.

I'm over the Irish tea and confectionary at this stage but try getting some Euthymol toothpaste here, nothing comes close to it.

I'm over the Irish tea and confectionary at this stage but try getting some Euthymol toothpaste here, nothing comes close to it.
    Ok, I miss that too!

My friends and the majority of Irish I met in oz. From the Irish I met it was in my opinion rubbish talk.

Out of my way why would someone accuse me of going out of my way just because I prefer not dislike prefer some Australian products?:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Why are you just making stuff up:rolleyes: I've no problem with anyone liking any products no matter were they come from nor do I like a product just because it comes from a certain place.

I have a problem with Irish people in oz going around shouting about Irish products to Australians and any other nationality they meet about how our products are so much nicer then all of theirs. That's my problem they seem to have this patriotic idea towards Irish products, not because they like it but because they feel the need to let everyone know it's just pure rubbish talk.

Yes they do my point is they all don't constantly go around shouting about it like the Irish.

jackbhoy wrote: »
    That's bs mate. How many Tesco's back home have Polish/Eastern European food sections? I know small towns at home that have 2-3 African and Polish food shops.

In Brunswick/Coburg, where I live, there are countless Middle-Eastern/Mediterranean/Asian food stores, where people buy their favorite brands despite local substitutes being widely available. Irish people are definitely not any worse than most ex-pats I know.

Personally the only thing I miss from home (food/drink wise) is Guinness, but I have found lots of local beers I like so it's not a big concern for me really.

But my point is the Polish, and African's don't go around shouting about how their products are better and nicer than ours. Not like the Irish

• Advertisement

Your test is a credible test, but your claim that it is all the same is not the result you proved. It tastes all the same when they do not know they are being tested is different because they were not looking for a difference.

But my test was on whether they really could tell the difference like they said they could????But they were all waiting for me to make them cups of Barry's tea? They were tasting Barry's tea for the first time in 7 months. They were all expecting to get a cup of Barry's they had all had a cup of Lipton's about an hour earlier!! Gave them Lipton's and all I got was O YA NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL A CUP OF TEA!!! pure rubbish talk.

Advertisement