Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crisp & teabags into Oz

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I don't go all argumentative and nazi

Well i will, if you dont drink Tetley Extra Strong, you may as well drink coloured water, in fact coloured water mocks your purile attempt at coloured water

As the saying goes, go hard or go home ladies :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

otto_26 wrote:
    Out of my way why would someone accuse me of going out of my way
    Because you come on a forum you never use and search for and reply to a thread that was started 4 years ago and rant? Then wait months to respond?
    Certainly sounds like out of the way

Mod this thread isn't going anywhere, and as I said it was originally 4years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I have been drinking Nerada tea here and it very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod At the request of Otto thread reopened. But if this turns into a 'lets rant about Irish in Australia' I will close it again and hand out cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

otto_26 wrote: »
    But my point is the Polish, and African's don't go around shouting about how their products are better and nicer than ours. Not like the Irish

I won't argue with regards to what your friends think. Maybe they are over the top when it comes to Irish products but I cannot accept that other countries don't do the same thing.

I often enjoy winding up the Aussies here about it. They would never have tried anything else and just assume that the stuff made here is so much better. I happily tell them how much better Irish, English or if I'm up for a good argument how much better NZ stuff is in comparison.

I used to work in an off licence for a time at home when we had a big wave of Polish and Lithuanian's arriving. The offie I worked in was quick off the mark and they stacked all the Eastern European beers before most other places nearby and also had a section reserved for food stuffs from Poland and Lithuania.

Everyday the same things were side by one group or the other about how the stuff from their country was so much better than the other. As a test I brought some home and truthfully told people they were two different things and to tell me which was better. Apart from really subtle hints, nobody could tell the difference(I can't remember exactly what foods they were that's why I haven't mentioned it).

And to me it is the same as what you are talking about. Most people will prefer what they know, what they grew up with and what they most likely associate to good times over something that tastes inferior, the same or slightly better. Unless something is much better I would rather have the Irish equivalent every time.

Why wouldn't I? If nothing else it gives you the home comforts every now and again. May not even be known to me but subconsciously it probably does make me feel better.

On a side note, as a little experiment, last night we were in my girlfriends mothers place for dinner. The mother had some friends over and I was asked to make a few cups of tea. I used Barrys instead of their normal "English Breakfast" tea and all 4 of them responded to say they were really strong good cups of tea! (However, personally don't see any difference between Barrys and what is served here.......Lyons Gold Blend is miles better!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Chocolate was mentioned earlier in the thread. I am australian, living in ireland for 5yrs now and i can't stand the Irish cadbury's chocolate. It really is mostly about what you grew up and what your taste buds are used to.
    When i was growing up i also did a student exchange to new zealand. I had my own supply of vegemite and one day my host brother decided to swap the labels on the vegemite and the promite. I thught it smelt different but it said vegemite so i spread it all over my toast, but when i bit into it it was hideous! Again, just shows that you normally prefer what you grow up with and are used to.

can i ask when the next thrilling installment of the oddest thread this year will be??? hope its in the next 3 months the suspense is killing me.

Im normally fairly good at picking up underlying sentiments in posts but this one has me stumped, does he

A. Think his friends are w@nkers.
    B. Think anyone who likes certain products are Spanners
    C. Think Irish abroad are Tools.
    D. Thinks as Michael Jackson so eloquently put it "The Man In The Mirror" is the root issue

I dont know, anyone care to enlighten me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

The Aussie wrote: »
    can i ask when the next thrilling installment of the oddest thread this year will be??? hope its in the next 3 months the suspense is killing me.

Im normally fairly good at picking up underlying sentiments in posts but this one has me stumped, does he

A. Think his friends are w@nkers.
    B. Think anyone who likes certain products are Spanners
    C. Think Irish abroad are Tools.
    D. Thinks as Michael Jackson so eloquently put it "The Man In The Mirror" is the root issue

I dont know, anyone care to enlighten me :D

If you want to enlighten yourself why don't you read the posts within the thread and you will get your answers. lazy lazy! :D

Yeh, i must admit i did glaze over there for a bit.

Advertisement