Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is the MW band almost empty in Ireland?

• 14-01-2009 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

With the exit of RTE and just a few temp licenced local stations using it, I have to ask - whatever happened to Medium Wave?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I seem to remember medium wave ............... :)

But seriously Mike, why would anyone want it back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭mcscrub

Is a licence needed to get on MW?

If so, is it regulated by the BCI?

Would there be anyway of some ambitious internet radio station taking up some of the airspace on medium wave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

People fail to remember that a strong powered MW signal can be very good.

The reason MW is more or less abandoned here is that FM coverage with its clear reception is almost 100%, and RTÉ just felt that there was no need to have Radio 1 on 3 wavelengths. It was proved last year when only a handful of people took up the offer of free radios when Radio 1 closed on 567 kHz.

Thats not to say that someone could try, but the cost to keep the juice flowing would be prohibitive.

I think as a nation, we have shunned the MW band, and won't turn back. In Britain there are stations worth listening to, but advertisers and station MD's know, we like our FM here.

mcscrub, if RTÉ wanted to restart a service on MW, they could. If the BCI wanted to licence an independent service, they can too. There are 2 high powered national frequencies available, not to mention their low powered fill-ins in Cork, Dublin and the Gaeltachts. 2 temp licences have recently used MW in Dublin for a short time on 1278 kHz, 2FM's old Beaumont frequency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Most cars don't have MW any more, do they? Same now with lots of radios you buy - they just have FM. I assume too that if you put a good MW and a good FM signal side by side, FM sounds better.

Firetrap wrote: »
    Most cars don't have MW any more, do they? Same now with lots of radios you buy - they just have FM. I assume too that if you put a good MW and a good FM signal side by side, FM sounds better.

MW is still standard in lots of new cars. Mine certainly has (08 reg)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tis LW that car radios have deserted (not to mention many domestic tuners)

Meant to say, LW is there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Camelot wrote: »
    I seem to remember medium wave ............... :)

But seriously Mike, why would anyone want it back?

because rte used to cover eircom league on the mw band, but inexplicably moved it to lw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

DMC wrote: »
    MW is still standard in lots of new cars. Mine certainly has (08 reg)

Duh! So does mine...I was mixing it up with LW :o

Advertisement